QB Faults and why to not trade up

9 hours ago, mannc said:

He was a late first round pick and hardly touted as “generational”.

Please. There are few players I so loved in any draft as I loved DeCastro. Short term burst, strong, great punch on initial impact, could pass protect and run block. Perfect size - at least, at the time. 

Yeah. He was late round because he was pushed down. And it turned out on some levels he should have been because it was a great draft - and at the end of the day it could turn out to be one of the best drafts ever.

And he was very MUCH being touted as generational. He had and other than Quinton still has the highest grade of any pure Guard since 2012. He was widely mocked at the time as potentially being the first guard to go top 10 since that guy from New Orleans. 

At the time, it was widely considered a great draft for PIttsburg to have gotten a talent like DeCastro so late in the draft.

10 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

So the only way you can be generational is "win" the Super Bowl, is that it? 

The 2012 draft was a remarkable year. DeCastro was the sixth rated player by at least the NFL Tracker. Idiots like you screamed about how you can't draft a Guard early in the round and the Steelers took him 24th. He helped to transform that team and extend Ben's career; his blocks enabled Bell's running. Maybe taking him sixth was too high - but enough meaningless players were taken ahead of him.

In a very real sense, DeCastro "won" the Super Bowl. If Quinton is truly "generational" and he plays to that level, plays like a Larry LIttle, plays like a Steve Hutchinson, plays like Alan Faneca, he's worth a top ten pick. Especially if the QB is as some say nondescript.

If you don’t understand why a guard can’t be “generational “ then I have a hard time believing you understand football. Guards are dime a dozen. QB, WR, and LT sure but guards? Lol

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

If you don’t understand why a guard can’t be “generational “ then I have a hard time believing you understand football. Guards are dime a dozen. QB, WR, and LT sure but guards? Lol

Two ways you could look at it.

In the last 20 years or so, there have been exactly three great guards drafted. Faneca, Hutchinson and I would say DeCastro. Over that time there's been many, many great QBs. Offensive tackles galore; you could have replaced a great WR many times over, probably every year.

I see it as there is a scarcity of great players at the position - and when one comes along, it is a "generational" player. You could say that they don't provide value. Frankly, that's stupid but you are entitled to your opinion and no doubt you think I am stupid for mine.

Cheers. 

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Two ways you could look at it.

In the last 20 years or so, there have been exactly three great guards drafted. Faneca, Hutchinson and I would say DeCastro. Over that time there's been many, many great QBs. Offensive tackles galore; you could have replaced a great WR many times over, probably every year.

I see it as there is a scarcity of great players at the position - and when one comes along, it is a "generational" player. You could say that they don't provide value. Frankly, that's stupid but you are entitled to your opinion and no doubt you think I am stupid for mine.

Cheers. 

Look at it this way: say you have a team with a great guard ot and wr. Salary cap says you can only keep two. You’re saying you keep the guard?

11 hours ago, RPbillsfan said:

This team has needs that can be addressed in the 2018 draft.

This is the way to truly build a strong top to bottom roster with depth to make a run at ending the Patriots hold on the AFC East.

You don't compete with Tom Brady without  a QB.  The 2018 draft is where the Bills need find and fix that!

1 hour ago, joesixpack said:

Look at it this way: say you have a team with a great guard ot and wr. Salary cap says you can only keep two. You’re saying you keep the guard?

not enough information; beyond that, I am arguing about a generational guard.

Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson and Dave DeCastro played almost all of the entire careers for one team. I suppose that tells you what the NFL thinks about the choice between players.