QB Faults and why to not trade up

Let's assess the current situation.  Browns and Jets take QB at 1 and 3.

Darnold at one - Small hands, long wind-up release which leads to QB pressures, Abd turnovers.  May not be correctable.  Let's all remember Brian Leftwich of Jacksonville who had an incorrect able long windup before he threw. However has great leadership and intangibles, above average pocket presence and good feet.  I don't like him in cold weather games with the 9 & 1/8 inch hands.

Rosen at three - Concussion history, less then desirable NFL Arm strength.  Lacks pocket awareness, not an inspirational leader type and not well liked by teammates.  Has great accuracy, throws a nice ball to all levels.  Comes from serious family money and may bail if injury prone.

Giants feel they can turn things around and by getting healthy and getting Barkley they believe makes them playoff contenders

Browns at four - Could be looking to trade down to find CB or LT.  If they stay at 4 feel that Bradley Chubb may be the guy to add to the edge rush crew they have.  See Arizona as prime candidate as trade partner so they can get a QB.  Would cost Cardinals their 1st and 2nd this year and next years one.

Broncos at five - Quinten Nelson is in play here if they pick, generational guard and guard is becoming far more important to prevent inside pressure and open holes for inside running game.  Don't think they are looking for a QB as they feel they can compete now.

Colts at six - If Bills come up it would be here to get their choice of top LB of their choice.  Cost would be pick 12 and 53.  Leaves picks 22,56,65 and 95 in 1st 3 rounds.

As in all of my posts, looking for your thoughts on my takes.

• Like (+1) 1

To ChuckWagon and BuffaloRush, thank you for your juvenile responses.  Why not take some time and read the scouting reports, review the performance at the combine and watch some game tape before you jump in with opinions that have no supporting fact to back them up.

it appears you are both in the "trade up at whatever the cost", forgetting the additional needs at LB, Deep Threat WR, zone slot corner,  OT and OG/C and a 3 technique DT to split snaps with KW in his last season.

Please give me your plan if you can formulate one and actually articulate it into a written response.

Stupid fans and their idiot opinions seldom make the team better.

• Like (+1) 1

For 3-4 months these QBs are picked apart under a microscope by every analyst, blogger, fan, analytic website, mock draft service and would be Gm.

everyone is going to have a fault.  Everyone.

But let’s say for arguments sake that there is a perfect candidate...

you wouldnt be be able to draft them unless you go 2-14 or worse.

are you willing to sign off on going 2-14 or worse right now?  then step up and sign up.

41 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Broncos at five - Quinten Nelson is in play here if they pick, generational guard

If I recall correctly, the past three or four "generational guards" have all been massive busts.   

This team has needs that can be addressed in the 2018 draft.

Our QB performance looks as though it will improve from last years erratic performance from Tyrod.  We have plugged some hole on D during free agency and have 8 picks in the first 5 rounds.

i think if we stay at 12, we can get Lamar Jackson who I believe has Michael Vick type skills and just needs to learn and get physically stronger in his role as 2nd string and "Change the tempo" series of downs when inserted into games.

At 22, I'm hoping either Leighton Vander Esch or Rashean Evans is available to be our sideline to sideline MLB and QB of the defense.

Picks 53, 56, 65 and 96 can fill important spots at OL, WR, CB and DT.

This is the way to truly build a strong top to bottom roster with depth to make a run at ending the Patriots hold on the AFC East.

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

If I recall correctly, the past three or four "generational guards" have all been massive busts.   

The whole notion of a generational guard is ridiculous. Name one guard that won his team a super bowl.

and after reading further he’s a Jackson fan. Ergo his opinion can safely be discarded.

Edited by joesixpack

58 minutes ago, RPbillsfan said:

Let's assess the current situation.  Browns and Jets take QB at 1 and 3.

Rosen at three - Concussion history, less then desirable NFL Arm strength.  Lacks pocket awareness, not an inspirational leader type and not well liked by teammates.  Has great accuracy, throws a nice ball to all levels.  Comes from serious family money and may bail if injury prone.

This is the only one that is a valid concern.

the more concussions the more likely his career will end early, voluntarily or involuntarily

I look at the top 6 QB's and honestly by their 2nd season the difference between Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield and Jackson is not worth the loss of draft capitol and fill other needs by making a significant move above the Jets.

Rudolph, White, Lauretta and Falk are tier two QB's a step below the top 5 and have a longer projected development cycle.

As an older fan (60) and watching Bills games since 1963 I want to continue to grow and get better and not take a step back in 2018.

To me, none of the 9 QB's I listed have the ability to lift the 2018 team to improve on 9-7 and a 1st round playoff loss.

Next years team, enhanced by a great free agency class and rock solid draft has the chance to compete for the AFC East title and go further in the playoffs.

If AJ plays well, he can be dealt for 2019 draft choices and the huge amount of cap space will allow for major additions with a young and developed QB and turn the team into a real Super Bowl Contender.

20 minutes ago, mannc said:

I’ve noticed something strange on this board today regarding posters attitudes towards non-QB’s. Lots of people are making statements that sound as if only QB’s can be draft busts. Somehow, if we draft other positions with our first round picks they are a guaranteed success. 

29 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

The whole notion of a generational guard is ridiculous. Name one guard that won his team a super bowl.

and after reading further he’s a Jackson fan. Ergo his opinion can safely be discarded.

So the only way you can be generational is "win" the Super Bowl, is that it? 

The 2012 draft was a remarkable year. DeCastro was the sixth rated player by at least the NFL Tracker. Idiots like you screamed about how you can't draft a Guard early in the round and the Steelers took him 24th. He helped to transform that team and extend Ben's career; his blocks enabled Bell's running. Maybe taking him sixth was too high - but enough meaningless players were taken ahead of him.

In a very real sense, DeCastro "won" the Super Bowl. If Quinton is truly "generational" and he plays to that level, plays like a Larry LIttle, plays like a Steve Hutchinson, plays like Alan Faneca, he's worth a top ten pick. Especially if the QB is as some say nondescript.

All players of course have bust potential.  Some due to lack of either physical skills, emotional maturity or bad situations/coaching.  Look at all the Browns number 1 picks over the past few years.  None remain with the team.

So, great player assessment as to scheme fit, great  coaching and proper environment provide the best chance for success.

History shows that most (not all) QB's need some time as a back-up to grow into their rolls.  WR's usually take a year or two to learn NFL route trees, RB, CB are quickest to be ready as their physical skills allow them to excel.

56 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If I recall correctly, at least one of them has been outstanding - David DeCastro.

He was a late first round pick and hardly touted as “generational”.

Teams can talk themselves out of anything. There’s always too many holes to fill.  But the depth of the perpetual QB hole is deeper than all the other holes combined. Time to go get one.