How to get to Pick #2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I literally don’t care what it costs. Whatever it is, I would rather have the issue of dealing with the lost picks then dealing with not getting Darnold or Rosen. Il sign up for the problem of “having the qb and filling out the roster for a change.” I’m tired of the other way around.

Problem is all our GMs always come in fresh and can never appreciate that we Buffalo fans have lived through the "we can build around or next year or journeyman" approach for two decades.  What we need is to somehow implant all the failures of the past regimes into Beane's mind so he realizes this isn't our first rodeo when it comes to GMs trying to wow us with their philosophy.  Keep it simple.  It's the QB stupid.

2 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

Option A: Trade #12  + #22 + our 2019 #1; I believe that Gettleman and Buffalo have a deal IF, McBeane can give them 2 first round picks this year, plus next years 1st which should be a top 10, because our schedule is so tough. 

Huh?

This.

Edited by Misterbluesky

2 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

With Tyrod throwing only 4 picks. Look at next years schedule and our QB/Offensive line. We over achieved talent wise for sure. Name a receiver that will catch 65 balls and look at the center to the right side of our line. Who are our line backers? No nickel corner. AJ is unproven. 

Miami, Baltimore and the Colts we could beat and every team beyond that is questionable.

Home: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Chargers

Away: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens

I Agree!

Our offense was inept last year......we still made the playoffs.

Our D couldnt stop the run....we just signed one of the premier space eaters.   We do need linebackers.

There is absolutely no reason to think that is gonna be a top 10 pick.

13 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Our offense was inept last year......we still made the playoffs.

Our D couldnt stop the run....we just signed one of the premier space eaters.   We do need linebackers.

There is absolutely no reason to think that is gonna be a top 10 pick.

I feel like we took a step back and not forward. I doubt that we can win more than 8 games. The defensive line is much improved. If we do not draft a QB we could land a premier LB. I just see problems all over the offense. If I were the Giants I would bet that the Bills end up winning 4-8 games next year. 8 if AJ is amazing. A rookie QB is not going to win games, but we would finally have one. I'll raise it to a top 15 pick. Why do you see the playoffs again? I suppose if we stayed at #12 and drafted best player available and traded for Nick Foles with 2019 picks we could repeat 9-7 for the season, but I hate that idea.

41 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

With Tyrod throwing only 4 picks. Look at next years schedule and our QB/Offensive line. We over achieved talent wise for sure. Name a receiver that will catch 65 balls and look at the center to the right side of our line. Who are our line backers? No nickel corner. AJ is unproven. 

Miami, Baltimore and the Colts we could beat and every team beyond that is questionable.

Home: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions, Los Angeles Chargers

Away: Miami Dolphins, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Baltimore Ravens

I Agree! 

You are forgetting that if we don't trade up we have 5 picks in the top 65 and 6 in top top 90 to fill a bunch of holes on this team.

If they hit on this draft like they did last year's, that could fill a lot of holes quite solidly. 

Also, AJ McCarron has a pretty low turnover rate in his career, too. He threw 5, 3 and 7 int's in his 3 respective college seasons, and 2 int's in pass 133 attempts in the NFL (which is obviously a very small sample size). 

For comparison, Tyrod threw 2 int's in 35 attempts in his Baltimore career before coming to Buffalo. And Tyrod threw a very similar amount of int's per season in college (3, 7, 5, 5) 

All I am saying is that it is not out of the realm of possibilities that we plug a bunch of holes in the draft, giving us a stronger overall team than last year, and McCarron, who was a much more accomplished college QB than Tyrod, was drafted in a similar spot (AJ in the 5th vs Tyrod in the 6th), and sat on the bench learning for the same 4 years TT did, could come in and play as well as Tyrod did here. Or maybe even better, especially as far as the passing game is concerned. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

You are forgetting that if we don't trade up we have 5 picks in the top 65 and 6 in top top 90 to fill a bunch of holes on this team.

If they hit on this draft like they did last year's, that could fill a lot of holes quite solidly. 

Also, AJ McCarron has a pretty low turnover rate in his career, too. He threw 5, 3 and 7 int's in his 3 respective college seasons, and 2 int's in pass 133 attempts in the NFL (which is obviously a very small sample size). 

For comparison, Tyrod threw 2 int's in 35 attempts in his Baltimore career before coming to Buffalo. And Tyrod threw a very similar amount of int's per season in college (3, 7, 5, 5) 

All I am saying is that it is not out of the realm of possibilities that we plug a bunch of holes in the draft, giving us a stronger overall team than last year, and McCarron, who was a much more accomplished college QB than Tyrod, was drafted in a similar spot (AJ in the 5th vs Tyrod in the 6th), and sat on the bench learning for the same 4 years TT did, could come in and play as well as Tyrod did here. Or maybe even better, especially as far as the passing game is concerned. 

I cannot argue with you. It is completely possible. I do believe that this staff can develop CB, LB and offensive line. I would be ecstatic if we grabbed 2 awesome linebackers and a great center or guard. I could see 4 starters and would be satisfied. If AJ is a bust and I am concerned because he could not beat out Andy Dalton that it will be a surprise. We also do not know if a QB will drop past Denver and we may have a shot at Allen or Mayfield. I just really wanted a QB drafted in the top 10. I have been waiting for my whole life. I have been to every playoff game in the 90's and a Superbowl. I want to be patient and believe, but somehow we just do not get better than average. The AFC is very week in comparison to the NFC this year. There is a chance and I love the GM and Coach so far. QB is just the missing piece to be a top 6 team and contend. Jacksonville is the only team I see that could win because they remind me of the Baltimore team that won it. I would be OK with that. Truthfully I would like 3 first round picks this year. I would trade our second rounders and a late 3rd to get into the first again, so we can sign guys for 4-5 years. I would be stoked with picks #12, #22, #27, #65 and a few late picks to try and get 4 solid starters. I want to be fierce on defense, but build the offensive line at the same time. I can live with games that are all close. I am ultra competitive. I am a coach and I push my kids to win but I am good with losing once in a wile if they work hard. Chemistry and a good strategic philosophy can work. The Bills are a project team and are showing signs again. No impulsive choices could bring us back to win the AFC East again, but an efficient QB will be essential. Build the front 7 and the offensive line and maybe a QB will rise like Brady, Brees and Montana. I am a bit pessimistic but who could blame me!

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I cannot argue with you. It is completely possible. I do believe that this staff can develop CB, LB and offensive line. I would be ecstatic if we grabbed 2 awesome linebackers and a great center or guard. I could see 4 starters and would be satisfied. If AJ is a bust and I am concerned because he could not beat out Andy Dalton that it will be a surprise. We also do not know if a QB will drop past Denver and we may have a shot at Allen or Mayfield. I just really wanted a QB drafted in the top 10. I have been waiting for my whole life. I have been to every playoff game in the 90's and a Superbowl. I want to be patient and believe, but somehow we just do not get better than average. The AFC is very week in comparison to the NFC this year. There is a chance and I love the GM and Coach so far. QB is just the missing piece to be a top 6 team and contend. Jacksonville is the only team I see that could win because they remind me of the Baltimore team that won it. I would be OK with that. Truthfully I would like 3 first round picks this year. I would trade our second rounders and a late 3rd to get into the first again, so we can sign guys for 4-5 years. I would be stoked with picks #12, #22, #27, #65 and a few late picks to try and get 4 solid starters. I want to be fierce on defense, but build the offensive line at the same time. I can live with games that are all close. I am ultra competitive. I am a coach and I push my kids to win but I am good with losing once in a wile if they work hard. Chemistry and a good strategic philosophy can work. The Bills are a project team and are showing signs again. No impulsive choices could bring us back to win the AFC East again, but an efficient QB will be essential. Build the front 7 and the offensive line and maybe a QB will rise like Brady, Brees and Montana. I am a bit pessimistic but who could blame me!

Well said. Agreed. And while I think we are missing many pieces to be a truly great team, QB is by far the biggest hole and it has been since Jim Kelly retired (man, I miss watching the K gun offense!). We are FAR past our time to see another great QB in a Bills uniform, and the thought of having to potentially wait even longer sucks. 

To to be honest, like many others, I really had my heart set on getting one of the top 2 QBs this year. I still hope it's possible but it's probably less likely with the ridiculous price it took NY to get from 6 to 3. 

But what hat gives me hope is that the strength of this QB draft has always been in its depth. 

The top 3/4 look great but none are what you call "can't miss" types. 

Granted, i'd rather take the gamble on one of the top 2. But there's definitely a chance, especially this year, that QB 4-6 could end up being one of the top QBs in this draft. 

The good part - if you spend 1 pick on one of these other QBs and miss, it's sets the franchise back WAY less than if you spend an entire draft + more on trading up and miss on that QB. Ans Id you only spend 1 (or maybe 2 with a slight trade up) pick on QB, you can hopefully fill 4-5 other BIG holes on this team (like our LBs, O line, D line, Wide receivers, RB etc etc). 

I have been also interested in the idea of trading our #22, #56 and #65 to get the SF pick at #9. Imagine Roquan Smith and Mayfield/Allen in the top 12. We would still have another 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 2x 5ths and a 6th. I could live with that.

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well said. Agreed. And while I think we are missing many pieces to be a truly great team, QB is by far the biggest hole and it has been since Jim Kelly retired (man, I miss watching the K gun offense!). We are FAR past our time to see another great QB in a Bills uniform, and the thought of having to potentially wait even longer sucks. 

To to be honest, like many others, I really had my heart set on getting one of the top 2 QBs this year. I still hope it's possible but it's probably less likely with the ridiculous price it took NY to get from 6 to 3. 

But what hat gives me hope is that the strength of this QB draft has always been in its depth. 

The top 3/4 look great but none are what you call "can't miss" types. 

Granted, i'd rather take the gamble on one of the top 2. But there's definitely a chance, especially this year, that QB 4-6 could end up being one of the top QBs in this draft. 

The good part - if you spend 1 pick on one of these other QBs and miss, it's sets the franchise back WAY less than if you spend an entire draft + more on trading up and miss on that QB. Ans Id you only spend 1 (or maybe 2 with a slight trade up) pick on QB, you can hopefully fill 4-5 other BIG holes on this team (like our LBs, O line, D line, Wide receivers, RB etc etc). 

Who knows? Lamar in 2-3 years could be pretty good. I have my doubts cuz he is a wild card. If Watson can do what he did, then yah never know. Just stay away from Rudolph. He is my EJ again. I would trade both #2s and a 4th to grab him at the top of the first round just for the gamble. I think he could beat out AJ before the end of the season just because he is electric.

1 hour ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

I feel like we took a step back and not forward. I doubt that we can win more than 8 games. The defensive line is much improved. If we do not draft a QB we could land a premier LB. I just see problems all over the offense. If I were the Giants I would bet that the Bills end up winning 4-8 games next year. 8 if AJ is amazing. A rookie QB is not going to win games, but we would finally have one. I'll raise it to a top 15 pick. Why do you see the playoffs again? I suppose if we stayed at #12 and drafted best player available and traded for Nick Foles with 2019 picks we could repeat 9-7 for the season, but I hate that idea.

I dont know that I do see playoffs.....but it is certainly not out of the question.

We broke our slump last year....and we might have needed another team to help but we still had to win enough games to get there.

Last year was about shedding contracts and aquiring draft picks...this year you see more team identity and more "McDermott" guys and I expect this years defense to be very good.....we still have one of the best running games in the league.....we still have one of the better TE's in the league....O'Leary is actually getting better to every year.   We need two more wr's to round out our roster but they are not that hard to find (and if Zay can actually find his game maybe not even that.The QB position is the unknown....but I dont consider unknown to mean "losing ground" it means that it is unknown.

4 hours ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don't see any path to the 2nd pick for the Bills.  Giants will be able to shake the Jets down for a couple 3rd rounders like 49ers did last year with Trubisky.  And Giants will still get Barkley at 3.  

This is a very likely scenario.  and then the Giants can still get the Bills and Broncos to compete for that 3rd pick.

2 hours ago, BBillsWestCoast said:

Excellent post. I think your assessment of the team is spot on ("project team"). God we're so close to a blue chip QB - I hope we can pull it off.

Here's a reality check:  forgetabout trading up.  Not gonna happen.  If GM didn't want to outbid Jets for #3, why would he go all in for #1 or #2.  I think he got to #12 so that he can leap frog Miami with Oakland to get whoever is left.   

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Amaru523 said:

I don't like the idea of giving up our firsts, seconds, and thirds for one pick.  Sure we'd have a possible franchise QB, but we'd also have quite a few more holes in the roster that wouldn't be filled with quality.  If Beane stays put we could get a nice group of 3 or 4 really good players ready to step in right away, especially defensively.  A great QB is a great path to the Super Bowl, but its not the ONLY path. Denver won the Super Bowl without great QB play in 2015/16. They won that Super Bowl despite Peyton Manning.

20% of top three picks for QB are busts.  Throw that into you equation.  We could lose all those players AND get a dud for a QB.