Why The Bills Need To Draft a QB in Round 1

Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

Nobody ever said we were not drafting a QB. And nobody said we were definitely drafting a QB either. Lets stop making Fake news. 

When the draft is over, and we did not take a qb though, then let’s go hysterical. In the meantime, le s enjoy the process and drink some  kool aid.

7 minutes ago, drf1835 said:

Thanks for the in-depth analysis.

Nobody ever said we were not drafting a QB. And nobody said we were definitely drafting a QB either. Lets stop making Fake news. 

When the draft is over, and we did not take a qb though, then let’s go hysterical. In the meantime, le s enjoy the process and drink some  kool aid.

Its not fake news, it’s an opinion.  And there are many people in this forum who want the Bills to draft OL or DL at #12.

This group (Team McBeane) is very dedicated to their plan to mainly build this team thru the draft. They also know they need their QB. As Domdab said, not just "a QB" but the QB they see as their franchise guy. At this point it seems like the best chance to lock up their QB is to get to #2 overall...which is gonna cost a bunch and I just can't see them selling out like that. Sure, maybe they do and they walk away with their QB but after that they have to sit on their hands until at least the third round, say adios to their 2019 first rounder and maybe a third rounder from '19 as well. So it's gonna come down to, "Do we pass up on the chance of taking six players within the first 93 selections? Or do we go for broke and grab our QB and worry about the consequences after?" The latter just doesn't seem like the McBeane method. 

And I gotta believe that they called the Giants about #2 with an offer of picks and Glenn with how badly the Giants need OL help. But evidently it wasn't enough and instead they got the Bengals to agree on a trade to get to 12. Now how do they do what Philly did in '16 and complete the two-step trade up? Gonna be tough after the Jets went for broke today. Leave it to those green jagweeds to screw everything up. Friggin turds. 

4 minutes ago, blacklabel said:

This group (Team McBeane) is very dedicated to their plan to mainly build this team thru the draft. They also know they need their QB. As Domdab said, not just "a QB" but the QB they see as their franchise guy. At this point it seems like the best chance to lock up their QB is to get to #2 overall...which is gonna cost a bunch and I just can't see them selling out like that. Sure, maybe they do and they walk away with their QB but after that they have to sit on their hands until at least the third round, say adios to their 2019 first rounder and maybe a third rounder from '19 as well. So it's gonna come down to, "Do we pass up on the chance of taking six players within the first 93 selections? Or do we go for broke and grab our QB and worry about the consequences after?" The latter just doesn't seem like the McBeane method. 

And I gotta believe that they called the Giants about #2 with an offer of picks and Glenn with how badly the Giants need OL help. But evidently it wasn't enough and instead they got the Bengals to agree on a trade to get to 12. Now how do they do what Philly did in '16 and complete the two-step trade up? Gonna be tough after the Jets went for broke today. Leave it to those green jagweeds to screw everything up. Friggin turds. 

But can you really see this administration come away without drafting a QB after planning to do so for nearly 1 year?  I can see them throwing their hands up in the air and saying “oh well, we tried.”  I really hope it doesn’t happen because it’s that type of “kick the QB can down the road” mentality that got the franchise into QB purgatory for years.   This team need a QB

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Its not fake news, it’s an opinion.  And there are many people in this forum who want the Bills to draft OL or DL at #12.

if they stay at 12 they are not drafting OL or DL....it will be a LB.

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

But can you really see this administration come away without drafting a QB after planning to do so for nearly 1 year?  I can see them throwing their hands up in the air and saying “oh well, we tried.”  I really hope it doesn’t happen because it’s that type of “kick the QB can down the road” mentality that got the franchise into QB purgatory for years.   This team need a QB

"Oh well, we tried" equals "kick the QB can down the road?"  I knew people were planning not taking Beane at his own word if it did not fit some board member's vision.  As said before maybe the Colts had no intention dropping beyond six.  Was anybody from the board in Beane's office to know that he did not give full diligence to a trade?  No? Thought so.

4 minutes ago, bkep32 said:

if they stay at 12 they are not drafting OL or DL....it will be a LB.

Can't rule either position out if Nelson or Vea is sitting there.  According to some Nelson is the most NFL ready prospect in the draft.  Nelson would not be my choice but I would understand the decision.

15 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Fair points. I'm pretty certain they'll draft a QB but is it gonna be the #1 QB on their board, ya know? Right now, if they wanna get the guy they think is their franchise guy they're gonna have to get real creative with a trade package to either NYG or Cleveland at #4. If they get up to #2, they're virtually guaranteed to get their guy, unless their guy is Sam Darnold. At #4 they're looking at who's there after Cleveland and NYJ make their picks. Just don't think they're gonna pull a Ditka and give up a massive amount of draft capital. They're in a unique spot. I wouldn't say they're fully rebuilding, but moreso reshaping this team. As it stands, they have enough talent now to make the playoffs so they obviously wanna keep that train rolling and they have a great opportunity to add up to six potential starters with two firsts, two seconds and two thirds. That's tempting to a team that has a primary focus of building thru the draft. 

But on the flip side, as you said, can they kick the can down the road on the QB? 

I kinda just wanna drive to East Rutherford and slug that smug Maccagnan right in the chops. I do wonder if the Colts had both the Jets and Bills bidding for the #3 pick and it'd be great to know if Beane kept throwing more chips in the pile in order to get the Jets to give up what they did. But who knows.