Has there ever been a 3 team draft pick trade

Virgil

To jump into all the hysteria.....

Browns want a QB and Barkely I believe. Giants are going BPA.  

Browns know Jets and Bills want QB. 

Could it be beneficial, or is there any history of a trade between all three teams?  The points system is still used and the result is:

1 - Browns (QB)

2 - Bills (QB)

3 - Jets (QB)

4 - Browns (Barkley)

12 - Giants 

If we trade up to #2, it would benefit the Browns greatly. They would KNOW then that they would get the best non-QB at the #4 spot. So could there be a 3 team trade where the Browns give us a pick in rounds 2 or 3 to us, that we package to trade with the Giants. 

This will NEVER happen, but it almost makes sense. If the Browns was Barkley, they’d have to trade up from 4 to 2, which would cost hem more than just a 2nd round pick. (See Chicago last year). So instead of that, they give us some of the ammo we need to move up and make sure their guy is there at 4. 

I don’t know if this makes any sense, but it does in my brain. And I know it hasn’t happened before, nor will it, but still was an interesting thought. 

13 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To jump into all the hysteria.....

Browns want a QB and Barkely I believe. Giants are going BPA.  

Browns know Jets and Bills want QB. 

Could it be beneficial, or is there any history of a trade between all three teams?  The points system is still used and the result is:

1 - Browns (QB)

2 - Bills (QB)

3 - Jets (QB)

4 - Browns (Barkley)

12 - Giants 

If we trade up to #2, it would benefit the Browns greatly. They would KNOW then that they would get the best non-QB at the #4 spot. So could there be a 3 team trade where the Browns give us a pick in rounds 2 or 3 to us, that we package to trade with the Giants. 

This will NEVER happen, but it almost makes sense. If the Browns was Barkley, they’d have to trade up from 4 to 2, which would cost hem more than just a 2nd round pick. (See Chicago last year). So instead of that, they give us some of the ammo we need to move up and make sure their guy is there at 4. 

I don’t know if this makes any sense, but it does in my brain. And I know it hasn’t happened before, nor will it, but still was an interesting thought. 

This is from Nick Mangold's site:

March 22, 2006: Traded by Broncos as 2006 1st round pick (29th overall) to Jets as part of a 3-team trade. Broncos sent 2006 3rd round pick (93rd overall subsequently traded, Dominique Byrd) and 2007 4th round pick (121st overall subsequently traded, Marcus Thomas) to Falcons. Jets sent John Abraham to Falcons. Falcons sent 2006 1st round pick (15th overall subsequently traded, Tye Hill) to Broncos

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

While it would be very nice of the Browns to just give us a 2nd or 3rd round pick to help us trade up, it's utterly ridiculous to suggest it.

If it costs them a 2nd and 4th to trade up from 4 to 2 to get their guy. 

Or if they gave us a 3rd to help us move up, also guaranteeing they get their guy at 4, how is that not a good deal for them?

Again, it won’t happen.  But it’s act beneficial to them. 

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

If it costs them a 2nd and 4th to trade up from 4 to 2 to get their guy. 

Or if they gave us a 3rd to help us move up, also guaranteeing they get their guy at 4, how is that not a good deal for them?

Again, it won’t happen.  But it’s act beneficial to them. 

Your original post (and this follow up post) implies the Browns are going to give the Giants a 3rd round pick just to make sure we trade to #2, but the Browns stay at #4.  You don't think there's something logically wrong with that?

I'm sure a 3 team trade has occurred.  A team has never just given up a draft pick (especially a high one) for a promise from another team.

Yes, that’s exactly what I’m implying. It’s sounds crazy on the surface, I get it.

We’d have to give them a 7th or something for logistics.  

But the Giants know us and the Jets would go QB. That means the Browns get their QB first then whatever player they want without interference from other teams at picks 2 and 3. 

For them to get the same result, they’d need to trade from 4 to 2 and give up more. 

Does that not make sense?  

Again, won’t happen.  But it makes sense to me