Why Does Everyone Here Think NYG is taking a QB at #2...Analysts Say Otherwise

i think the browns will take darnold at 1.

while i think the giants should take rosen at 2, they do have a high 2nd and 3rd round pick to find a qb so....

taking barkley at 2 makes a ton of sense for winning now. that's what i think they will do.

as for the jets at 3, i think they will do something stupid. after signing bridgewater, my thinking is they take chubb to rebuild some sort of dline...and while that may be a good pick, they gave up much more...

which leaves us at no.4 giving the browns our 1st next year for mayfield. i hope they get mayfield, but will be happy if they do stay at 12 and take vita vea and rudolph at 22. no matter, i have absolute trust and faith in this f.o.

• Like (+1) 1

If I'm Gettleman, I have a QB who has won a Super Bowl twice and who doesn't seem washed up.

So yeah I can have the thrill of taking QB at #2.

Or, I can reflect that I am 67 years old and I could be dead soon and maybe it would be fun to win a super bowl.

Why not win the super bowl, and get the high pick again when Eli retires, and I retire, the next guy can get his QB.

2 minutes ago, McBean said:

Bingo. 

Spot on and what I’ve been saying ALL DAY.

The Giants are in love with a QB(Rosen ) and know they won’t get this opportunity again for a long time.

Shurmur has already been fired once for not having a QB, he won’t make same mistake again.

You're close.... the Giants want a specific player and any move must give them the chance at that player. It's not necessarily a QB. 

3 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

You only do it if there is an "Andrew Luck" type QB there. This class of QBs have serious question marks which you just can't justify giving away a ton of high picks. The gamble is not worth the risk no matter how long it's been since you've had a franchise QB. It's just not the smart thing to do.

beane said , and i quote..."we won't overspend on free agents or give up picks"  ok i may be paraphrasing somewhat but it was on the jm show on friday.

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think Gettleman is going to hold Beane’s feet to the fire for next year’s #1.

That still doesn't get them the player they want in this draft.  Moving all the way from 2 to 12 is a big step down. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

It could if it’s next year’s 1st plus both 2018 1sts.

Maybe it's already been offered. If they want a specific player at 2, that player is likely to be gone long before 12. That's the position the Bills are in. Top ten picks are much more attractive to GMs looking to trade down from a high draft position. It cost the Bills in their attempt to move up past the Jets. You can throw in all the extra picks you want , and it won't make pick 12 any higher. They might be stuck with no place to go. 

47 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I don’t get the draft experts here at Two Bills drive.  Nearly everyone is projecting that the Giants are taking at #2.  Funny because everything I’ve read says the opposite.  The consensus from the media is that Gettleman doesn’t want to draft a QB.  He thinks the Giants can win now and will be looking to find players who can contribute immediately.  That’s why you see them linked to Nelson or Barkley or Chubb.  These guys are day 1 starters who probably can play at a high level right off the bat.

Sure there’s still a chance they can draft a QB at #2 but it’s far from certain as many of you make it sound.

Draft experts at TBD.  An oxymoron if I've ever heard one

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You're close.... the Giants want a specific player and any move must give them the chance at that player. It's not necessarily a QB. 

That is a simple way to put it.  Giants will pick at #2 (QB or non-QB).

If not they will decide on the offers to trade down.

The logical way to trade down is 3.4.5............................12.

49 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That still doesn't get them the player they want in this draft.  Moving all the way from 2 to 12 is a big step down. 

...Or if he made the trade with the Bills, he has adds 3 new starters (on rookie deals) with the potential to add more in 2019.  There is merit to taking the picks

1 minute ago, BuffaloRush said:

...Or if he made the trade with the Bills, he has adds 3 new starters (on rookie deals) with the potential to add more in 2019.  There is merit to taking the picks

Oh there is merit to it, and I'm sure any offer from the Bills was considered. The higher pick this year won out, and that's not surprising. 

16 minutes ago, T master said:

Analysts said Cordy Glenn wasn't a good LT , they also said Blane Gabbert was a good QB not to mention all the other things they were wrong about that's just a couple !! 

Right, different situation here.  The majority of the media is saying “The Giants are going to pass on drafting a QB at #2.”  Thats the general consensus as of 3/17/18.  

If you read the threads since the Jets made their move, there’s a good majority of members at TBD who make it sound like it’s a  given that the Giants are taking a QB.  It’s fine to think that, and maybe even a very logical thought, but it’s far from a certainty that people make it sound like.  

53 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

If I'm Gettleman, I have a QB who has won a Super Bowl twice and who doesn't seem washed up.

So yeah I can have the thrill of taking QB at #2.

Or, I can reflect that I am 67 years old and I could be dead soon and maybe it would be fun to win a super bowl.

Why not win the super bowl, and get the high pick again when Eli retires, and I retire, the next guy can get his QB.

I agree. They're in a big market which doesn't have the patience for a rebuild and everything they've done this off season points to a win now mentality. I think they either take Barkley or trade out for a boatload of picks, winning now while retooling on the fly for the future. They can also get another stud RB like Chubb or Michel, if they don't take Barkley.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Oh there is merit to it, and I'm sure any offer from the Bills was considered. The higher pick this year won out, and that's not surprising. 

Its entirely possible, but let’s hope for a miracle

17 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

There is no reason to keep the 2nd pick, unless it's to draft a QB. I'd bet my left ball that if they keep it, they will select a QB.

Maybe, it makes sense.  Of course, this goes against everything that’s been reported.  That’s like me saying I’m certain the Browns will draft B Chubbs at #1.

I would be a bit surprised if the Giants picked a QB.  I think what may happen is that the Giants will stay put until Cleveland has made its first pick.  The Giants may covet Saquon Barkley.  If Cleveland picks Barkley at #1, the Giants may have a deal in place already to trade out of that spot (possibly even with Buffalo).  If, however, Cleveland picks a QB, I expect they'll run to the podium with a slip of paper that has Barkley written on it.

If Cleveland picks a QB and the Giants pick Barkley, it's just about certain the Jets pick a QB.  You can argue whether it's Rosen or Allen or somebody else, but the whole realm of football fandom will be shocked if it's not some QB.   If Cleveland has picked a QB at #1, obviously they won't pick one at #4.  That brings us to Denver.  The noise Denver made following the signing of Case Keenum would suggest they aren't going to draft a QB.  Nor will Indy at 6, the Buccaneers at #7 or Chicago at #8.  The next team that might picks at #11, Miami.  I personally don't expect it, but there are those who project it.  To summarize, best case scenario for Buffalo if they don't trade with the Giants is that only 2 teams pick a QB ahead of Buffalo, with Cleveland picking one at #1.  It's possible 3 will be gone.  One or two of the top 4 will still be available to Buffalo. 

If Cleveland picks Barkley at #1, it becomes more problematic for Buffalo if Buffalo does not trade with the Giants.  Should that happen, the Giants will have  lots of reason to trade out of #2.  You'd have to assume most of the teams interested in trading with the Giants would be interested in a QB.  The Jets are in place to draft a QB at #3 and the Browns may take their QB at #4.  That's 3 of the top 4 gone in the first four picks of the draft.  If Miami nabs the 4th at #11, Buffalo will get shut out of the top 4.  They will be left with Lamar Jackson or Mason Rudolph.  Maybe Buffalo will be happy with one of those guys at #12 or (more likely at #22) but there are a number of observers who rate those guys as second round values.

The bottom line is - root for Cleveland to pick a QB at #1.