How The Jets Changed Everything

H2o

For weeks we have been watching the moves. Tyrod to Cleveland for #65. Glenn to Cincy getting us to #12 from #21. We signed Davis, we signed Ivory, we signed Star, we signed Murphy, and we signed McCarron. The stars seemed to be aligning and everyone was talking about how teams KNEW the Bills were coming for a top QB. There were rumors about the Bills being in talks with Indy to get to #3 or the Giants to #2, though I felt the Giants weren't a realistic option. That almost assured us of getting our guy though. Everyone would have been below us after Cleveland. In steps the NY Jets paying a king's ransom to move up 3 spots. They changed the whole landscape of the draft, for us anyway. I'm not seeing us getting up high enough to our grab our guy. It will likely be a fallback option and I fear that fallback is Jackson. This is how I see things playing out. 

1. Cleveland Browns - Sam Darnold

2. NY Giants - Saquon Barkley

3. NY Jets - Josh Rosen

4. Cleveland Browns - Bradley Chubb

5. Denver Broncos - Baker Mayfield

Were we ever going to ransom the farm to get into the top 5? I don't know. It seemed like we were in a good place to make that move. The Giants could make it even worse by passing on Barkley and taking a QB. If that happens then boom, done. That would mean 4 QB's in the first 5 picks. Could Cleveland still end up trading us #4? Maybe, but I think they are staying put. This leaves Allen and Jackson on the board if the Giants choose to build around Eli, which I think they will do.  At this point I don't think we move anymore. I am almost certain now that Beane\McDermott will let the draft come to them. We will still end adding some serious talent with the picks we have, but my hopes of Mayfield or Rosen are all but shot. F*ck you NY Jets. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Said it in another thread. This is the Colts’ payback for the Hughes trade years ago. 

We traded a player for a player 5 years ago and they are mad at the bills because Sheppard didn't pan out for them?

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The Jets didn't pay a kings ransom.  They gave up 3 2nd round picks.  It's minuscule if their QB actually hits and it's certainly better than the alternative of watching us trade up above them and freeze out the QB position.

We're screwed.  I think the Giants are set on QB, likely Rosen.  No running back is worth the picks that would likely be given on a move.

QBs go top 3, potentially even 4, that's why the Jets moved up, they knew if they watched us trade up and get a franchise QB they'd be crucified, not to mention have to play against him twice a year.   Our best play now is just keep our picks, if not potentially move down for future picks, build the best "TEAM" possible, hope that McCarron or a later QB can be better than Bortles/Tyrod level and continue to exists in purgatory.  The pipe dream of a move up to get one of these guys was likely always just a pipe dream.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It's not pay back, the Jets just threw down decided to make their strongest play and gave up a bevy of picks. Of course Indy took that deal. We weren't willing to do that apparently or just maybe, Beane has a deal with the Giants.

I wasn't saying yes to it being any kind of payback, I was saying yes because I forgot to say f*ck Irsay for making the trade. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

11 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

It's not pay back, the Jets just threw down decided to make their strongest play and gave up a bevy of picks. Of course Indy took that deal. We weren't willing to do that apparently or just maybe, Beane has a deal with the Giants.

Or the Colts just didn't want to drop all the way down to #12.

• Like (+1) 3

Thank God we didn't do it for a question mark. Build a great team with our draft capital, please don't throw it away on a QB that is a straight up question mark, as far as how their game will translate to the NFL..

People are acting like these QB are going to come in and really havoc on the league. More than likely they are fringe starters in 3 years, worth a mid Rd pick!

That's your take ...what if;

Cleveland takes Darnold

NYG because they have Eli takes Barkley

Jets feel Bridgewater is their guy and takes Rosen, or Mayfield, or even Chubb

Cleveland takes Fitzpatrick or Vea (or trades down)

Denver takes Roquan Smith or Ridley (or trades down)

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Or maybe they did try to get to #3 and the Colts took the Jets offer instead.

Ballard said they were in discussions with other QB needy teams and they decided to take this deal because they felt they'd still get a blue chip prospect at #6.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Beane isn't throwing away all these picks for a AB. I'm telling you guys. Listen to the man speak. It's not happening. He values those picks to much, rightfully so

The QB got paid the most was a 4th rder. Keenum undrafted. 

I think Foles is more realistic than these rookie QB that are just beyond overhyped on here!

Same ppl that would have traded the farm for Ponder, Gabbert,Locker , Clausen etc are saying this

Edited by JerseyBills

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ballard said they were in discussions with other QB needy teams and they decided to take this deal because they felt they'd still get a blue chip prospect at #6.

Exactly.  They looked at what we had to offer and what the Jets had to offer, realized they are basically getting the same player at 6 as they would at 3 and took the second round picks.  I can't say I blame them.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Could very well be BF4.

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Beane isn't throwing away all these picks for a AB. I'm telling you guys. Listen to the man speak. It's not happening. He values those picks to much, rightfully so

I don't think he values them enough that he would put us in a worse quarterback position than we were in last year. Because that's where we are now.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

The QB got paid the most was a 4th rder. Keenum undrafted. 

I think Foles is more realistic than these rookie QB that are just beyond overhyped on here!

Same ppl that would have traded the farm for Ponder, Gabbert,Locker , Clausen etc are saying this

Think every QB is garbage or that Darnold or Rosen compare even remotely to the guys you mention, sure, that's one way to cope.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Exactly.  They looked at what we had to offer and what the Jets had to offer, realized they are basically getting the same player at 6 as they would at 3 and took the second round picks.  I can't say I blame them.  

3 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Could very well be BF4.

Plus, when you look at the draft value chart and what the Jets gave up in points to get from #6 to #3, and what we would have had to trade to beat that... 

You're probably looking at giving up all 6 of our top picks, or all 5 of our top 65 picks + a 2nd or even 1st next year, only to be guaranteed the 3rd best QB in this draft. 

And it seems that the Colts obviously valued one of the blue chip prospects in this draft pretty highly... so who knows what it would have taken. 

Will the 3rd best QB in this draft be guaranteed to be THAT much better than say the 4th or 5th QB off the board that you surround with 5 more top 90 picks? And have an actual good overall team?