Did the Jets trade screw us?

15 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

Browns, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins at a minimum.  Giants may want an heir for Manning.

Keenum is the starting QB of the Broncos, and Elway still likes the other kid on their roster.  I have SERIOUS doubts Broncos take a QB.  Dolphins are certainly a potential one, but they pick at 11, Bills do NOT need to get into the top 5 to get ahead of them.  They could easily trade up cheaper on draft night into 7, 8, 9, or 10 if someone they covet is there.  

Again, the only 2 certain teams are Cle and Jets.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Keenum is the starting QB of the Broncos, and Elway still likes the other kid on their roster.  I have SERIOUS doubts Broncos take a QB.  Dolphins are certain a potential one, but they pick at 11, Bills do NOT need to get into the top 5 to get ahead of them.  They could easily trade up cheaper on draft night into 7, 8, 9, or 10 if someone they covet is there.  

Again, the only 2 certain teams are Cle and Jets.

In no way is Elway happy with sloppy seconds Keenum as the franchise QB...  They will be targeting a QB for sure.

Edited by T-Bomb

Just now, T-Bomb said:

In no way is Elway happy with sloppy seconds Keenum...  They will be targeting a QB for sure.

I disagree about Elway's opinion.  

They did NOT need to spend on Keenum if they plan to take a QB at 5.  They already had Trevor and also had a kid that all reports Elways still likes.  They dont have a ton of cap room, they absolutely would have stuck with Trevor if they were going to for sure have taken a QB at #5.  

Elway doesn't like to lose, he is not trying to rebuild.  He already won the SB with the worst QB play in the NFL that year (Manning and Brock were among the lowest rated passers in the NFL that year) and also the statistically the worst QB performance on a winning team in the SB (Manning) in history.  

So I think Elway thinks Keenum can help balance that team and make another push in the AFC before his window closes any further than it already has.

I could be wrong, but everything I know about Elway and what he just did suggests to me he is not taking a QB at 5.  And if they do, then he is an idiot for signing Keenum to a multi year contract and tying up more cap space instead of just letting Trevor hold the seat warm.  

We are not screwed, stay at 12, 22, 53, 56, 65, 96

12 - Lamar Jackson, let him develop as a back-up and "change of pace" QB for various situations

22 - Leighton Vander Esch - QB of our defense, big, fast, smart, great measureables at the combine that matches what's on the game tape

53 - DJ Chark - Deep threat WR needed, size, great speed fantastic compliment to Kelvin Benjamin, Charles Clay and Jay Jones in the slot

56 - Best CB available that's a zone corner type, they stay not drafted in relation to press cover corners

65 - RJ McIntosh - 3 technique DT that can penetrate and replace KW next year

96 - Frank Ragnow - big powerful center to help the depth and develop to move Groy to C/G back-up

thoughts

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

So don't get desperate.  Desperation got us JP Losman.  Desperation got us EJ Manuel.  Beane's moves to this point have been measured and rational.   I don't expect anything less from him moving forward.

Not being desperate led to us passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

At some point you have to find a QB you want and pull the trigger. 

First, We all assume that the Jets  move up was to take a quarterback. That makes a lot of logical sense.  On the other hand maybe they were after that running back from Penn state. Or, some other player that they want before he is gone.

We have some many holes to fill LB, CB,WR OL. I would not be upset if they hold fast. 

All this hate on Bean in these post is asinine.

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Any chance we can still move up to 2nd overall or maybe even 1st overall to get our quarterback? 

Are we screwed? 

Is there a chance? Sure, if the Giants are willing to deal (and they may not be).

Are the Bills screwed? Unlikely. The Bills likely have contingencies in place as to who they want and what they want to do if someone jumped up to 3 (assuming they were targeting the Colts pick for a trade, which I think they were.)

The Jests panicked and overpaid to move up, and the Colts shot themselves in the foot by trading #3 too soon. They likely could have exacted a heavier price from the Jests (or anyone else) during the draft.

First off,  people calling for Beane to go are beyond ridiculous.

Second, in order to trade up you need a partner to trade with.  It’s likely that the Colts have their eyes on one or two non-quarterback prospects who will be there at pick 6 but who will be gone by pick 12.  So they trade down a few picks and get the exact same guy they were going to pick at 3 and pocket three second round picks in the process.  Good for the Colts. Not much Beane can do about that.

I don’t think Beane is going to wrangle the 2 pick out of the Giants either.  I think they take Eli’s replacement.  The next time the Bills can conceivably move up is at 4 and three of the QBs will already be off the board at that point.  What are the odds the one QB McBeane wants is still there?  ( I know,  1:4   it was a rhetorical question you wiseacres )

It may be that due to circumstances beyond Beanes control, the one or two options at QB they have been looking at simply can’t be had for any price this year and we will have to take a chance on a later round QB like Jackson or Rudolph.  I’m personally a bit curious to see what McCarron has.

In any event, it sure looks like we are going to miss out on this year’s QB sweepstakes, but what can you do?  That’s life.  Sometimes you’re the bug, sometimes you’re the windshield.  

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

Not so sure it's irrational.

If the Giants know were desperate to move up they can basically demand whatever the hell they want.

this. the jets have paid and incredible cost to move from 6 to 3. we would be moving higher up from further away. the ransom on that deal would be incredible. and it would hurt, a lot.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, wppete said:

Im pissed off that the Jets are the team that jumped ahead of us. #2 trade with the Giants is going to be very expensive. 

Too Expensive. Going out on a limb and saying there is now zero chance we trade up to 2. The Giants can write their own ticket now and as evidenced by Beane not giving Indy enough draft capital it will be too tall of an order. I think they stay at 12 until the draft now and watch the first few picks shake out. If a move happens now it will be when a team is on the clock.

• Like (+1) 1