Did the Jets trade screw us?

23 minutes ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

No. There’s still plenty of opportunities available to grab a top QB.

or

Stay at 12, get Lamar Jackson, and use the rest of our picks to fill some holes.

We’re still in a Win/Win situation here.

Lamar Jackson is not win win it’s all lose

42 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

Let’s say they are screwed (it feels like it.)

it all started when the Bills decided to stick with Taylor and not bring in a Brian Hoyer or worse.  That was the one move that was a catalyst to which brought us to today.

no Tyrod...we could have not pushed Kyle to return...and still executed all the other moves.

a team with no Taylor, Kyle Williams, Marcel Dareus, Sammy Watkins...etc would have effectively delivered a 5-11 record.

Wait, didn't Kyle just sign an extension? 

I think we were going to have to overpay for pick #2 regardless of what happened today. We are competing with the Broncos, Dolphins, and Cardinals for that selection. We have prime draft capital to offer, so I don't think our situation changed all that much. If anything, the Jets are now removed as a competitor, as they dont have much to offer to jump up to 2. The issue really is if the Giants don't want to trade out and we get locked out. If that's the case it is what it is and you punt on a quarterback. 

Beane may also be patient. He said a bunch of times we are in "striking distance." We are in a good spot if a quarterback inevitably drops into that 7-10 range to jump the Dolphins and still keep 22. 

It's still so early, but I don't think much has changed at this point. 

4 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

The Bills can still get into a spot, it’s just going to cost us more and we might not get the exact guy we were targeting. 

This trade hurts no matter how you slice it. 

It would cost them more but it actually gives us a better chance to get the guy you want.

1 hour ago, Klaista2k said:

Any chance we can still move up to 2nd overall or maybe even 1st overall to get our quarterback? 

Are we screwed? 

Yes, we’re toast because now the first 3 teams are picking the Big 3 QB’s.

Edited by McBean

57 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

Any chance we can still move up to 2nd overall or maybe even 1st overall to get our quarterback? 

Are we screwed? 

No because I dont think Beane was going to trade up anymore after the way FA played out so well for the Bills in landing AJ, a promising young QB for pennies on the dollar, and all the other teams who invested in QB's in FA.  

Only 2 teams for sure taking a QB in top 10 right now...Cle and Jets.  I dont think Giants will nor do I think the Broncos will.  

In fact, I dont think the Bills were even really hot to get to #3 because if they were, there is NO reason for the Colts to make this trade right now when they could potentially get a better deal from Bills if we really wanted to trade up.  The fact they made the trade now tells me everything I need to know about how serious Beane was about a trade with the Colts.  If Beane told them it depends how the board falls, then Colts could have waited until draft night like many teams do before exciting an offer.  

People take the fans idea of a plan to serious around here as if its concrete plans of the FO.  Dont get me wrong, I really want to land Baker personally...but I also realize its quite possible to land him at 12 after the way FA has played out.  Although if Baker is the guy the Bills want (which we have no idea), I would think they might try and trade to 10 or 9 to get him as Miami is a definite spot he could also go.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Only 2 teams for sure taking a QB in top 10 right now...Cle and Jets.  I dont think Giants will nor do I think the Broncos will.

We'll see how it plays out, but that is just so wrong IMO.

4 QB's will be gone by the time the Bills pick. And IMO only 2 of them are worthy to be selected that high.

Edited by T-Bomb

1 minute ago, T-Bomb said:

We'll see how it plays out, but that is just so wrong IMO.

4 QB's will be gone by the time the Bills pick. And IMO only 2 of them are worthy to be selected that high.

Easy to say, but for that to happen there needs to be a team that drafts them.  So who in the top 11 picks ahead of us are definitely taking those 4 QB's?  Cleveland and Jets, but who else?

Edited by Alphadawg7

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Successful QBs greatly diminish as you move down the draft. I don't want a good QB, I want a great one - the longer you wait the harder it gets. In the past, QBs would fall more because of the contract that you had to pay them, teams weren't as willing to take risks. It is different now. McD and the Pegs took the risk last year of bypassing the QBs and winded up with a CB and capital to go get one this year, we have the picks. You can't be overly passive, because you may lose out on what you want. Tom D was sent to the pasture because he didn't act quick enough to move up for Pig Ben.

IMO #3 isn't high enough, but it gets you in a good position to swap with the Giants if necessary and have most of the blue chip prospects there (Nelson in their case)...

Yes I liked being in the playoffs, but the outcome was expected and that team was never going to be good enough to do any damage. When you are going through a multi-year tear down/rebuild like us, you forgo short-term thinking and play the long...

Just because the FO and Coaching staff is better than what we are used to so far - it doesn't matter if they can't address QB...

Weren't both Carr and Wilson drafted after the change to the collective bargaining agreement (in 2011 IIRC)? And I can't imagine a team passing on Drew Brees high in the draft just because they didn't want to pay him what rookie contracts were going for... most likely he fell to the 2nd because of his height and perceived ceiling in the NFL. Drafting a QB is a total crap shoot.

I agree though, chances are better in the top 2, which is where we need to get if we want one of the top 2 QBs. The only thing the Jets did was guarantee themselves the 3rd QB off the board. The 3rd QB off the board is absolutely no guarantee that they will get a great QB. What are the odds that the 3rd QB drafted in a given year is a great, franchise changing QB? And one that will be THAT much better than a QB taken later?

I bet the odds are not that astronomically different that the 3rd QB off the board will be somewhat similar to the 4th/5th etc. 

Also, If the Bills spend all their ammo getting to 3, we may not have had anything left to get to #2. 

I dont agree that that we should have tanked this season though. You can't attempt to change a broken, losing culture by tanking. 

And if McDermott and Beane would have tanked in their very first year here, how do they ever gain credibility or buy-in in the locker room? 

Anyway, Its just not realistic to expect 2 guys who worked for the last 20 years to earn their positions (GM and Head Coach), to just tank and throw away a season their rookie year on the job. 

How do you force NFL players to tank anyway? 

By "the outcome was expected" do you mean their playoff loss? If so I agree.

But if you're saying that the playoffs were expected I disagree. Most had the Bills as one of the bottom 3-4 teams in the NFL. Most seemed to think we were tanking... 

I'm not even sure Beane or McDermott planned on making the playoffs last year. They likely thought they'd be sitting higher in the draft I bet... 

It seems to me that McDermott and Beane have been playing the long term game since they got here. But you can only control what you can control. 

Look, I am all for trading to #2 and getting our QB. But I am not going to act like its the end of the world if that doesn't happen. Unfortunately it may not be in the cards this year, and if it's not I am not going to lose all hope of the Bills finding their franchise QB.  I mean, Beane hasn't even had a single draft with the Bills yet. Not every GM can land their franchise QB in their 1st draft... 

And im certainly not going to regret breaking the playoff drought last season. 

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Easy to say, but for that to happen there needs to be a team that drafts them.  So who in the top 11 picks ahead of us are definitely taking those 4 QB's?  Cleveland and Jets, but who else?

Browns, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins at a minimum.  Giants may want an heir for Manning.

Until we see how the draft falls there is no way in knowing if the Jets trade had any barring on us what so ever.  We do not know how Buffalo has the Qbs ranked.  Until the picks are turned in and the all the Qbs are selected there is no way to determine how the Jets effected the draft for Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 1