Is it possible Jets are targeting Allen instead of Rosen?

LA Grant

Everyone seems to be assuming Jets are going for Rosen... what happened to the idea that Josh Allen could be the 1st or 2nd QB off the board?

Think about it: of any owner who would be wary of Rosen's "character concerns," wouldn't it be Woody Johnson of all people?

If it goes 

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Barkley

NYJ - Allen 

CLE - they could take Chubb, or more likely, they swap with DEN who want Rosen and still get Chubb <— OR this also leaves the possibility that BUF use their plethora of picks to beat DEN's offer to nab Rosen, and CLE decides 12 & 22 & a 1st next year is the better deal. So BUF - Rosen

DEN - Mayfield

Everyone wins, except the Jets.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Allen is the guy that they’re actually rumored to be most interested in

Exactly.

It's possible that the Allen hype is what made the Jets move up... right? This is good for the Bills, provided they can still get ahead of Denver.

Woody Johnson is a hardcore Republican, why would he want to go all in on getting Josh Rosen as his franchise QB? It seems more likely that they think Allen is the next Big Ben, but needs a year or two to sit and watch Bridgewater/McCown.

I don't always agree with LA Grant, but he is exactly right here.

We cannot be sure of who the Jets want, and I (for one) still think the Giants could very well take Barkley.

There is no need for some of the doom and gloom posts.

• Like (+1) 1

The Jets make incredibly stupid decisions, time and time again. I like Allen more than most, but for the Jets to take him would be idiotic. By the time he is ready in two years, MacCagnan and Bowles will be fired. That's why it is the most Jets decision possible and therefore the most likely outcome. 

I do think someone could drop a bit, could be Allen, Rosen or Mayfield and we may be able to get one in that 7-10 range. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Everyone seems to be assuming Jets are going for Rosen... what happened to the idea that Josh Allen could be the 1st or 2nd QB off the board?

Think about it: of any owner who would be wary of Rosen's "character concerns," wouldn't it be Woody Johnson of all people?

If it goes 

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Barkley

NYJ - Allen 

CLE - they could take Chubb, or more likely, they swap with DEN who want Rosen and still get Chubb <— OR this also leaves the possibility that BUF use their plethora of picks to beat DEN's offer to nab Rosen, and CLE decides 12 & 22 & a 1st next year is the better deal. So BUF - Rosen

DEN - Mayfield

No way Chubb is going as high as the 4th pick in the draft.

2 minutes ago, Iverwig said:

No way Chubb is going as high as the 4th pick in the draft.

Not saying you're necessarily wrong because who knows but he was being projected to Colts at 3 in a bunch of mocks. If Cleveland gets their QB and can't get Barkley, why not the best defensive player at 4? 

Or if Chubb isn't best defensive player then who?

3 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

Not saying you're necessarily wrong because who knows but he was being projected to Colts at 3 in a bunch of mocks. If Cleveland gets their QB and can't get Barkley, why not the best defensive player at 4? 

Or if Chubb isn't best defensive player then who?

My bust, for some reason I forgot about the defensive Chubb and was thinking of Chubb the rb.  You may be right.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s an interesting thought. They have kind of gone the way of having their QB sit for a year... which would be Allen or Darnold. 

Rosen is most likely to start week 1 with whatever team he goes to.

Agreed. 

Also, if it goes like this:

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Barkley

NYJ  - Allen 

DEN (via CLE) - they could take Chubb, or more likely, they swap with DEN who want Rosen and still get Chubb <— so DEN - ROSEN

CLE (via DEN) - Chubb, or Best Defensive Player, OR again Bills could trade here and get Mayfield

IND - If CLE goes Chubb/BDPA, then at 6, IND also makes sense as a potential partner for Mayfield

TB - as does TB

Rosen or Mayfield are my 2 & 3 choices, so if Beane is evaluating the same way, and they successfully inflated Josh Allen's draft profile to force the Jets to make their move early, there are a number of ways this still works out as hoped.

There's also the possibility of CLE or NYG trading out from the top two, I just never thought it would be a likely scenario and still don't. It's not impossible obviously; the Gettelman connection is probably helpful with other trades with NYG but I just don't know if there's any deal possible good enough to convince you to not take either Barkley or Darnold when they are practically gifted to you because 50% of your offense went to IR.

16 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

It’s an interesting thought. They have kind of gone the way of having their QB sit for a year... which would be Allen or Darnold. 

Rosen is most likely to start week 1 with whatever team he goes to.

Over ...

Tyrod? No
Manning? No

Keenum? No
McCown? Yes
Bradford? No
McCarron? Yes
Tannehill? Maybe but unlikely

Doubtful that he'll "start week 1". You don't typically pay someone between $16 and $25MM and have him sitting on the bench.

2 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Over ...

Tyrod? No
Manning? No

Keenum? No
McCown? Yes
Bradford? No
McCarron? Yes
Tannehill? Maybe but unlikely

Doubtful that he'll "start week 1". You don't typically pay someone between $16 and $25MM and have him sitting on the bench.

Ok...

Must have missed where I said “most likely”

and Rosen starts over Tannehill without a doubt.

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Mayock has Allen as his #2 QB behind Darnold.  I think the Bills have Allen #1.

If so, I hope the Jets get him and "win" Allen and we get the "consolation prize" of Rosen, Darold, or Mayfield. 

1 hour ago, LA Grant said:

If it goes 

CLE - Darnold

NYG - Barkley

NYJ - Allen 

DEN - Mayfield

IMO Denver isnt taking a QB.  Elway already had a cheap bridge QB on the roster, 2 actually.  He did not need to in anyway shape or form sign Keenum to a more expensive multi year deal if they were taking a rookie at #5.  He signed Keenum to be the starting QB and try and win now before his window with that roster closes any further.