Guess the QB from his old description.

macaroni

Just flipping through some old pre-draft magazines and thought it would be fun to see if anybody can guess the QBs being described by the “experts” leading up to respective draft days. Both descriptions come from a widely respected publication:

(AAAA) is ready to handle the spotlight that comes with being a franchise QB. He comes from a pro style system and his footwork is excellent; he’ll slide and find throwing lanes. He has a good feel for the pocket and shows excellent touch and placement on short and intermediate throws, with a quick release. He took a lot of unfair criticism last year; play calling and poor o-line play were at fault. He didn’t deliver as a senior, but can outplay his measurables. He is the safest bet to be a true franchise QB in this draft.

(BBBB) is an athlete with a big arm, the kind of unconventional QB who can extend plays and frustrate defenses. He is a natural playmaker with the ball in his hands and is a candidate to be used as a receiver, or on gadget plays. He was elected as a team captain less than two months after he arrived at (??????).  His accuracy comes and goes; he is unlikely to ever become a pocket passer. The combination of athleticism and arm may be enough to earn him a backup role and a chance to play in some special packages, but he’s a long shot to be a starting QB.

A couple of hints …

These two players were NOT drafted in the same year

Neither player is or was ever a Buffalo Bill.

5 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Tannehill or Dalton

Just throwing names up.

4 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Ponder

I'm guessing it's someone who's garbage because you want to illustrate a point about scouting descriptions missing.

2 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

AAAA - Mike Glennon.

Nope, Nope, and Nope.

Very astute Chuck ... that's pretty much my bottom line .... we could have the #1 pick and end up with (AAAA) or draft later and end up with (BBBB) we (nor do the experts really know) our only hope is Beane has a better feel between the (AAAA)s and the (BBBB)s.

2 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

The first QB could be Matt Barkley? 

Bingo Fixxer ... good guess.

1 minute ago, macaroni said:

Nope, Nope, and Nope.

Very astute Chuck ... that's pretty much my bottom line .... we could have the #1 pick and end up with (AAAA) or draft later and end up with (BBBB) we (nor do the experts really know) our only hope is Beane has a better feel between the (AAAA)s and the (BBBB)s.

The whole QB hysteria this draft in my view, comes from Goff and Wentz’s success and the hype around these big program guys coming out. 

I really don’t want to see the Bills bundle all sorts of picks to gamble on reaching for a QB that’s not a lock to even be the best QB on the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

Excellent topic Macaroni!  You just can never know for sure.   Look at the Redskins.  They took RG3 in the first and Kirk Cousins in the 4th.  Which one turned out to be the better QB?

And they have nothing to show for either... that franchise can’t get out of its own way 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

The whole QB hysteria this draft in my view, comes from Goff and Wentz’s success and the hype around these big program guys coming out. 

I really don’t want to see the Bills bundle all sorts of picks to gamble on reaching for a QB that’s not a lock to even be the best QB on the team. 

No, it comes from trading a QB last year the Chiefs are very excited about, a year worth of rumors about loading up for an aggressive move up the draft board, not having a QB for 20 years, and now very likely getting frozen out.  Everyone is reacting differently, some are mad, some are talking themselves into lower tier options, some are just trusting the process.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

No, it comes from trading a QB last year the Chiefs are very excited about, a year worth of rumors about loading up for an aggressive move up the draft board, not having a QB for 20 years, and now very likely getting frozen out.  Everyone is reacting differently, some are mad, some are talking themselves into lower tier options, some are just trusting the process.

I’m speaking on a larger scale than just the Bills. 

Of course we  we want to get a pro bowler under center. 

But The market this year is now a disaster. The jets traded an aweful lot to move 3 pick.  What’s the old Wall Street adage? If everyone is buying I’m selling? 

• Like (+1) 1

Post draft analysis of another QB:

A pocket passer who will compete for a practice squad spot with the <NFL Franchise> . . . Drafted as a catcher by the <MLB Team> in <Year> out of <Home Town> . . . Completed 62.8 percent of his passes with 20 TDs and six interceptions. Only <Alum> had more TD tosses in a season for the <College> . . . Throws a great slant . . . At almost 6-4, 214 pounds, has some mobility . . . Platooned with sophomore <College Teammate> . . . Was projected to go in the third round, but dropped quickly.

Tom Brady

And I find it humorous that Tom Terrific is a catcher :lol:

21 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I’m speaking on a larger scale than just the Bills. 

Of course we  we want to get a pro bowler under center. 

But The market this year is now a disaster. The jets traded an aweful lot to move 3 pick.  What’s the old Wall Street adage? If everyone is buying I’m selling? 

The market this year isn't any different than any other year on QBs.  Teams have traded 2 additional 1st round picks to move ~6 spots for QBs before.  The reality is if the Bills were to make a move up, a lot of posters would knee jerk at the price.  The Jets didn't change any of that, just eliminated a potential trade partner.