Memories of 2004 NFL Draft

mjt328

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Tom Donahoe , the Bills GM at the time of the '04 draft had a deal to move up in place with the Texans. It was cancelled by the Texans at the last minute when they thought their targeted player might get picked before Buffalo's pick at 13. Donahoe coveted Roethlisberger, and knew he had to get in front of Pittsburgh to get him. He wasn't asleep at the wheel. 

Yeah, God forbid the Texans miss out on the great Dunta Robinson.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Tom Donahoe , the Bills GM at the time of the '04 draft had a deal to move up in place with the Texans. It was cancelled by the Texans at the last minute when they thought their targeted player might get picked before Buffalo's pick at 13. Donahoe coveted Roethlisberger, and knew he had to get in front of Pittsburgh to get him. He wasn't asleep at the wheel. 

Fair enough.

24 minutes ago, Heitz said:

I mean yeah, that’s what the Colts GM said, but who do you trust - that mans word, or a bunch of TBD posters?

i know where my money is...

I don’t think that anyone here ever said that we were guaranteed the ability to trade with the Colts. Some have simply questioned what we may have offered, and I pondered if I’d rather have two firsts as opposed to the #6 as Colts GM. 

1 hour ago, RevWarRifleman said:

Agree, and thus another chapter in the Bills 17 yr playoff drought. Too many of those draft-day bungles were ugly to watch. 

At least were not Cleveland, poor guys... For that matter, (see Philly as of late) I would jump at the chance to have the "opportunity" to criticize a top 5 Qb for this franchise. The ONLY time we even sac'ed up enough to take 'our' guy was EJ Manuel at 16ovr. Which we can all agree franchise Qb or not we never assumed he would ever be a Peyton Manning or Ben Roethlesberger. I saw a statistic somewhere showing each franchise and their respective highest Qb taken and the correlation of success to those with the higher selected Qb is astonishing. Sure there are franchises like GB where Favre was a 2nd rd/trade and AR is a 24ovr or NE where they have literally somewhat hit on ALL of their Qbs from the last 35yrs... (Eason (1rder), Bledsoe (1ovr), and Brady (6rder)) but historically teams that draft Qb higher win more. We need that. Our highest ever was Kelly, who was ironically selected one pick ahead of Eason in 83' at #14ovr). We cant win if we do not try the same. Sometimes teams win without franchise Qbs, we clearly are not that team, or have not been for over 20yrs.. Let's swing big and just try. Btw I am fairly high and just realized how long this response was... My b, go Bills!

1 hour ago, CDogg20 said:

Biggest thing is we shouldn’t panic and snag a qb just for the hell of it like we did then. Had we stayed put we could have had Aaron Rogers the following year. If we dont get a qb this year it is not the end of the world. 

Have you seen next years class? Find me Aaron Rodgers 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

The 2004 draft was the stupidest thing ever.

All we had to do was move ahead of Pittsburgh and we would've had Big Ben.

But Donahoe was a complete idiot and said the asking price was too much. 

That is not how it worked...TD did try to trade with Jacksonville as he was sure the QB starved Steelers would definitely take Big Ben...He just couldn't find a trade partner.  It is amazing how 15 years later the drafting of QB has suddenly become monstrous with the talk of all these trades to get the QB. People laughed at Ditka for doing what he did for Williams

11 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

The 2004 draft was the stupidest thing ever.

All we had to do was move ahead of Pittsburgh and we would've had Big Ben.

But Donahoe was a complete idiot and said the asking price was too much. 

2004 draft and the whitner pick set this franchise back 5 years easily.