Memories of 2004 NFL Draft

mjt328

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Some of the old-timers on here (can't believe it's been 14 years), probably remember this one.

Bills are ready to draft their QB of the future, with Drew Bledsoe's best days behind him.  They are sitting at Pick #13.

There are considered to be 3 top QB prospects in the draft.  Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.

The Bills have admitted they really wanted Roethlisberger.  And based on most of the mock drafts, it's totally realistic that he falls to us.  But General Manager Tom Donahoe decided to sit on his hands instead of trading up a few spots to secure the guy he wanted.  The Steelers surprised everyone by snatching him at #11, two spots ahead of our pick.  Our front office settled for Lee Evans at #13 and then went into panic mode.  They traded away the next year's #1 pick to move ahead of Green Bay and take the best option of the second tier... JP Losman.

We ended up giving up a king's ransom anyway, and still got a lesser prospect.  Roethlisberger went on to win multiple Super Bowls, while Losman was a massive bust.

And the revisionist history of the year award goes to ..... Look that is not what happened, at all. Tom Donahoe ( and most others ) knew the Steelers were high on Roethlisberger. There was never a realistic chance he fell to the Bills at 13. So Donahoe called around , eventually agreeing to a trade up with HOU that would position the Bills ahead of PIT. It was reported on ESPN during the draft by Chris Mortensen ( TDs friend from his time at ESPN before taking the Bills GM job) as a " done deal". Then disaster struck. The Texans wanted CB Dunta Robinson, and thought he'd be available with the Bills pick. ATL chose CB DeAngelo Hall at 8. HOU grew nervous that a run on DBs could start and cost them their top choice of Robinson. They cancelled the deal. Tom Donahoe panicked for sure by moving up for Losman later in the first round. Indeed, the 2005 1st rounder the Bills sent to DAL could have netted them Rodgers . Rodgers was a relative unknown at the time though, and in 2004 '05 was thought to be a " down year" for QBs. In retrospect, it yielded Alex Smith and Rodgers. There's a lesson in there somewhere . But the Bills GM didn't sit om  his hands and watch Roethlisberger slip  away. A little bad luck, bad timing and that left only one team left to work out a last minute deal with before PIT was up. It's a huge stretch to  say the Bills are repeating history and the alarm bells should be ringing . 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The game shouldn’t have been over though. Beane should have been willing to outbid the Jets. I always try my best not to be drawn to hyperbolic reactions, but this looks bad thus far. Maybe I value the QB position more than Beane. I’m not excepting any of the top three ( Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold) to be available with picks 7-10. 

1. We dont even know if thats Beanes top 3 QBs that you listed.
  2. The Colts also may NOT have wanted to trade all the way to 12.
  3. We dont even know if Beane was really set on getting to #3.
4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I don't believe that was the case with Ballard saying they simply did not want to drop out of the top ten. 

Which also makes sense

4 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The game shouldn’t have been over though. Beane should have been willing to outbid the Jets. I always try my best not to be drawn to hyperbolic reactions, but this looks bad thus far. Maybe I value the QB position more than Beane. I’m not excepting any of the top three ( Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold) to be available with picks 7-10. 

You can't outbid a team that has a top ten pick when you don't! The Jets upped their offer to an acceptable level for the Colts and the Colts took it. The Colts used the Bills offer to extract what the Jets were willing to pay. All picks aren't created equal, draft charts be damned. 

25 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why is everyone so freaked out about this trade lol.  Jets were ALREADY picking before us.  They didnt leap frog us.  

Second, its pretty clear Beane wasn't pushing to hard to get the #3 pick, otherwise the Colts DO NOT do this trade right now.  They would have waited until draft night or closer to draft to see if the offer would be better from Bills.  Clearly they did NOT feel the Bills were going to push for it or make a better offer, so this assumption we were certainly trading with the Colts just doesn't seem accurate.  

I told everyone when we signed AJ, if Bills think highly enough of AJ as a prospect, it could very much alter their intention to get into the top 5.  Not to mention, only 2 teams are currently a lock in top 10 to draft a QB in Cle and Jets.  I dont think the Broncos will now that they signed Keenum and I have never once believed the Giants are going to take a QB.  I still think they are going to try and make a last run with Eli and will draft Barkely if Browns dont take him #1.  

Outside of that, there isnt another team certain to take a QB in the top 10.  Miami might take one at 11, so Beane could do a MUCH cheaper trade up to 7, 8, 9, or 10 if a QB they covert is there and do it on draft night.  And with AJ, they might feel comfortable taking a LB at 12 if there isnt a QB they want that falls out of the top 5.  

How could the Bills really think that highly of McCarron? Think about how they signed him. They basically waited until the free agency QB rush slowed down before signing him. This allowed McCarron’s market value to project downward. If Beane viewed McCarron as a franchise QB, they wouldn’t have waited until the ball dropped with the other FA QB’s.

It appears that the Bills were taking the path of signing the cheapest option as their “bridge QB”. I’m not convinced they cared who that guy would be. Its quite possible that the front office viewed all the FA QB’s as being close to equals. Signing a cheap option such as McCarron made the most sense if that was their logic. Beane nor anyone else will ever be able to sell me the idea that McCarron is the franchise guy. It’s not impossible that they won’t try to sell this idea, but only if Beane fails to secure a legit starting QB in the draft. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You can't outbid a team that has a top ten pick when you don't! The Jets upped their offer to an acceptable level for the Colts and the Colts took it. The Colts used the Bills offer to extract what the Jets were willing to pay. All picks aren't created equal, draft charts be damned. 

If I’m the Colts I’d consider taking 12, 22, and 53 (maybe next years second) over the Jets 6, 37, and 49 plus next years second. Beane likely didn’t offer that much, and plenty of others on this board wouldn’t either if they were GM. All of these draft picks were meant to be used as draft assets to cash in for a QB (at least I thought). I’d be willing to use them to finally bring a bona fide pro QB prospect to Buffalo. 

3 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

The 2004 draft was the stupidest thing ever.

All we had to do was move ahead of Pittsburgh and we would've had Big Ben.

But Donahoe was a complete idiot and said the asking price was too much. 

Agree, and thus another chapter in the Bills 17 yr playoff drought. Too many of those draft-day bungles were ugly to watch. 

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

Donahoe was trash.

We'll be saying the same thing about Beane if he doesn't land a franchise QB this year.

At one point, Danahoe was "brilliant", especially for his McGahee pick, kinda like how Beane is currently "brilliant".

Without a great QB, he will start to smell like hot garbage rather quickly.

Biggest thing is we shouldn’t panic and snag a qb just for the hell of it like we did then. Had we stayed put we could have had Aaron Rogers the following year. If we dont get a qb this year it is not the end of the world. 

1 hour ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

If I’m the Colts I’d consider taking 12, 22, and 53 (maybe next years second) over the Jets 6, 37, and 49 plus next years second. Beane likely didn’t offer that much, and plenty of others on this board wouldn’t either if they were GM. All of these draft picks were meant to be used as draft assets to cash in for a QB (at least I thought). I’d be willing to use them to finally bring a bona fide pro QB prospect to Buffalo. 

You have zero evidence to support your theory of what was offered/ talked about and what might have swayed Ballard. The Colts probably have a target player and moved back just 3 spots for a bunch of picks. And they still get their targeted player most likely. Any  Bills offer would have meant moving down another six spots. It's pretty easy to see why they would do that. The Bills draft currency is vastly overrated by Bills fans. The first round draft spot is HUGE! 

5 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Some of the old-timers on here (can't believe it's been 14 years), probably remember this one.

Bills are ready to draft their QB of the future, with Drew Bledsoe's best days behind him.  They are sitting at Pick #13.

There are considered to be 3 top QB prospects in the draft.  Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.

The Bills have admitted they really wanted Roethlisberger.  And based on most of the mock drafts, it's totally realistic that he falls to us.  But General Manager Tom Donahoe decided to sit on his hands instead of trading up a few spots to secure the guy he wanted.  The Steelers surprised everyone by snatching him at #11, two spots ahead of our pick.  Our front office settled for Lee Evans at #13 and then went into panic mode.  They traded away the next year's #1 pick to move ahead of Green Bay and take the best option of the second tier... JP Losman.

We ended up giving up a king's ransom anyway, and still got a lesser prospect.  Roethlisberger went on to win multiple Super Bowls, while Losman was a massive bust.

Revision history is strong with you

in the end it doesn’t matter we didn’t get what we needed

Nothing new to add, and it's been said before....but I laugh when people say...I wouldn't take QB X at 5 but if he fell to 24 I would....or better example...he's not worth taking at 7 but I'd do it at pick 15.  ???  If you have identified a franchise QB, then the pick at which you take him means NOTHING....the point is that you take him, or get him.  there is no such thing as a franchise QB who isn't worthy of any pick in a draft.  

1 minute ago, Zerovotlz said:

Nothing new to add, and it's been said before....but I laugh when people say...I wouldn't take QB X at 5 but if he fell to 24 I would....or better example...he's not worth taking at 7 but I'd do it at pick 15.  ???  If you have identified a franchise QB, then the pick at which you take him means NOTHING....the point is that you take him, or get him.  there is no such thing as a franchise QB who isn't worthy of any pick in a draft.  

IMO Rosen is worth giving up the farm.  100 mill cap space next year, just go !@#$ing do it.

DO IT!

GET TO THE CHAPPA!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

You have zero evidence to support your theory of what was offered/ talked about and what might have swayed Ballard. The Colts probably have a target player and moved back just 3 spots for a bunch of picks. And they still get their targeted player most likely. Any  Bills offer would have meant moving down another six spots. It's pretty easy to see why they would do that. The Bills draft currency is vastly overrated by Bills fans. The first round draft spot is HUGE! 

I don’t need evidence. I wasn’t stating facts, I’m just sharing an option. My sentence starts by saying “IF I’m the Colts I’d consider”. I will disagree that our draft currency is overrated, although you would be correct in saying it might not have been enough for the Colts. Personally, I’d take two first round picks with the 12th and 22 over the 6th, if I’m not targeting a QB which the Colts obviously aren’t.  

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Didn't want to fall out of the top ten.

I mean yeah, that’s what the Colts GM said, but who do you trust - that mans word, or a bunch of TBD posters?

i know where my money is...

28 minutes ago, T-Bomb said:

We'll be saying the same thing about Beane if he doesn't land a franchise QB this year.

At one point, Danahoe was "brilliant", especially for his McGahee pick, kinda like how Beane is currently "brilliant".

Without a great QB, he will start to smell like hot garbage rather quickly.

if is the biggest two letter word in the dictionary and at this point I see absolutely no comparison between the two, none.

2 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

How could the Bills really think that highly of McCarron? Think about how they signed him. They basically waited until the free agency QB rush slowed down before signing him. This allowed McCarron’s market value to project downward. If Beane viewed McCarron as a franchise QB, they wouldn’t have waited until the ball dropped with the other FA QB’s.

It appears that the Bills were taking the path of signing the cheapest option as their “bridge QB”. I’m not convinced they cared who that guy would be. Its quite possible that the front office viewed all the FA QB’s as being close to equals. Signing a cheap option such as McCarron made the most sense if that was their logic. Beane nor anyone else will ever be able to sell me the idea that McCarron is the franchise guy. It’s not impossible that they won’t try to sell this idea, but only if Beane fails to secure a legit starting QB in the draft. 

Bolded part x100000.

If they wanted him so badly, why risk him signing elsewhere??

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Revision history is strong with you

in the end it doesn’t matter we didn’t get what we needed

What is revision about what he said??

It was 100% accurate.

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Bolded part x100000.

If they wanted him so badly, why risk him signing elsewhere??

What is revision about what he said??

It was 100% accurate.

Tom Donahoe , the Bills GM at the time of the '04 draft had a deal to move up in place with the Texans. It was cancelled by the Texans at the last minute when they thought their targeted player might get picked before Buffalo's pick at 13. Donahoe coveted Roethlisberger, and knew he had to get in front of Pittsburgh to get him. He wasn't asleep at the wheel.