Memories of 2004 NFL Draft

mjt328

Some of the old-timers on here (can't believe it's been 14 years), probably remember this one.

Bills are ready to draft their QB of the future, with Drew Bledsoe's best days behind him.  They are sitting at Pick #13.

There are considered to be 3 top QB prospects in the draft.  Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.

The Bills have admitted they really wanted Roethlisberger.  And based on most of the mock drafts, it's totally realistic that he falls to us.  But General Manager Tom Donahoe decided to sit on his hands instead of trading up a few spots to secure the guy he wanted.  The Steelers surprised everyone by snatching him at #11, two spots ahead of our pick.  Our front office settled for Lee Evans at #13 and then went into panic mode.  They traded away the next year's #1 pick to move ahead of Green Bay and take the best option of the second tier... JP Losman.

We ended up giving up a king's ransom anyway, and still got a lesser prospect.  Roethlisberger went on to win multiple Super Bowls, while Losman was a massive bust.

• Like (+1) 1

We aren't there yet.  The Jets trade is not a great thing, but it's not the end of the world.  It definitely raises the price for us to get to #2.  It may also lock the Jets into the third best QB in the draft if they don't have the assets to move up again. 

The trade also puts the Giants in position to expedite their rebuild if they (a) believe in Eli; and (b) can live without Barkley.  It also would help the Giants if (c) they are lucky enough that Cleveland loves Barkley.  

Assuming that those three things are true, Barkley is the key to the draft.  Cleveland could take him at 1 and move into the Giants pick at 2 to take its QB.  Or Cleveland could lock in its QB at 1 and move up for Barkley at 2.  Based on the price to go from 3 to 6, it will be expensive for Cleveland to move up even two spots.  

Assuming Cleveland moves up into two (or that the Jets don't do it themselves), the Giants could move again from 3 or 4 - maybe dealing with us for 12, 21, and additional high picks (next year's 1, maybe a pair of twos, etc.).  No matter, the Giants are the big winner today - they have the chance to add a lot of young talent to the roster in a very short period of time.  And although the price went up today, we're still in the game for a QB at the top of the draft, and we have the benefit of the Jets showing their hand early and seemingly locking themselves into a spot (if we pay a king's ransom to the Giants) where they may not be able to jump us for our guy. 

Edited by SectionC3
  • Like (+1) 1

The 2004 draft was the stupidest thing ever.

All we had to do was move ahead of Pittsburgh and we would've had Big Ben.

But Donahoe was a complete idiot and said the asking price was too much. 

Edited by Klaista2k
  • Like (+1) 1

That is not a correct representation. 

Donahoe tried like hell to trade with Jags and Texans, and both refused because they were dead set to pick future NFL failures.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Some of the old-timers on here (can't believe it's been 14 years), probably remember this one.

Bills are ready to draft their QB of the future, with Drew Bledsoe's best days behind him.  They are sitting at Pick #13.

There are considered to be 3 top QB prospects in the draft.  Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger.

The Bills have admitted they really wanted Roethlisberger.  And based on most of the mock drafts, it's totally realistic that he falls to us.  But General Manager Tom Donahoe decided to sit on his hands instead of trading up a few spots to secure the guy he wanted.  The Steelers surprised everyone by snatching him at #11, two spots ahead of our pick.  Our front office settled for Lee Evans at #13 and then went into panic mode.  They traded away the next year's #1 pick to move ahead of Green Bay and take the best option of the second tier... JP Losman.

We ended up giving up a king's ransom anyway, and still got a lesser prospect.  Roethlisberger went on to win multiple Super Bowls, while Losman was a massive bust.

And, as has been pointed out ad nauseam, Green Bay selected Aaron Rodgers the following year at 24. 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Klaista2k said:

The 2004 draft was the stupidest thing ever.

All we had to do was move ahead of Pittsburgh and we would've had Big Ben.

But Donahoe was a complete idiot and said the asking price was too much. 

The funniest thing about it is that the two teams we could have traded with to get ahead of Pittsburgh (Jacksonville and Houston) both needed QBs, both passed on Roethlisberger, and both picked awful busts instead. 

30 minutes ago, GG said:

That is not a correct representation. 

Donahoe tried like hell to trade with Jags and Texans, and both refused because they were dead set to pick future NFL failures.  

I remember that draft.  Both teams were locked into players they wanted and were afraid they wouldn't be there where the Bills were picking.  

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

You forget that the pick we traded to move up and get Losman, had Aaron Rodgers available the following year, could have had him too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I remember that draft.  Both teams were locked into players they wanted and were afraid they wouldn't be there where the Bills were picking.  

My theory is that Dom Capers hated TD so much that there's no way he'd approve a trade that would help Buffalo

3 hours ago, mjt328 said:

Same old Bills!

Why is everyone so freaked out about this trade lol.  Jets were ALREADY picking before us.  They didnt leap frog us.  

Second, its pretty clear Beane wasn't pushing to hard to get the #3 pick, otherwise the Colts DO NOT do this trade right now.  They would have waited until draft night or closer to draft to see if the offer would be better from Bills.  Clearly they did NOT feel the Bills were going to push for it or make a better offer, so this assumption we were certainly trading with the Colts just doesn't seem accurate.  

I told everyone when we signed AJ, if Bills think highly enough of AJ as a prospect, it could very much alter their intention to get into the top 5.  Not to mention, only 2 teams are currently a lock in top 10 to draft a QB in Cle and Jets.  I dont think the Broncos will now that they signed Keenum and I have never once believed the Giants are going to take a QB.  I still think they are going to try and make a last run with Eli and will draft Barkely if Browns dont take him #1.  

Outside of that, there isnt another team certain to take a QB in the top 10.  Miami might take one at 11, so Beane could do a MUCH cheaper trade up to 7, 8, 9, or 10 if a QB they covert is there and do it on draft night.  And with AJ, they might feel comfortable taking a LB at 12 if there isnt a QB they want that falls out of the top 5.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Why is everyone so freaked out about this trade lol.  Jets were ALREADY picking before us.  They didnt leap frog us.

Because it was obvious the Colts were the best trading partner, now you only have one, and I think the Giants are not willing to move.  Game over. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, T-Bomb said:

Because it was obvious the Colts were the best trading partner, now you only have one, and I think the Giants are not willing to move.  Game over. 

Game was already over clearly.  If Colts thought Beane was gonna make an offer, or at least a better offer, they would have waited.  With FA going the way it did for other teams, Bills landing a promising young QB prospect already, and still having the 12th pick...I think its pretty clear Beane cooled his Jets on a move up or what he was willing to pay to do it.  

I want Baker...but even I feel like the Bills dont have to trade up into the top 5 anymore.  I think its more realistic to see us move to 7, 8, 9 or 10 if there is a guy they covet at QB on the board.

11 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Game was already over clearly.  If Colts thought Beane was gonna make an offer, or at least a better offer, they would have waited.  With FA going the way it did for other teams, Bills landing a promising young QB prospect already, and still having the 12th pick...I think its pretty clear Beane cooled his Jets on a move up or what he was willing to pay to do it.  

I want Baker...but even I feel like the Bills dont have to trade up into the top 5 anymore.  I think its more realistic to see us move to 7, 8, 9 or 10 if there is a guy they covet at QB on the board.

The game shouldn’t have been over though. Beane should have been willing to outbid the Jets. I always try my best not to be drawn to hyperbolic reactions, but this looks bad thus far. Maybe I value the QB position more than Beane. I’m not excepting any of the top three ( Mayfield, Rosen, Darnold) to be available with picks 7-10. 

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don't believe that was the case with Ballard saying they simply did not want to drop out of the top ten.