The Jets trade opens up Mayfield to Bills.

9 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I’m not a Mayfield guy, but I’d take him over the second tier guys without question. I’m not sold on him, but he has a chance to be great. I use this an an example to show that I’m not sold on all of these guys, but I won’t deny the amazing potential that the top of this QB draft class possess. I’d be terrible to miss out on one of the first tier guys this year, even Mayfield. 

You are exactly right. The 4th best guy this year would likely be the top guy many years.  Some people can't understand that one guy hasn't separated because all of them are very good in their own ways and think that means none of them are any good.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Darnold is the highest rated QB on NFL.com's prospect list since Luck.

This class has been talked about for years.  The notion this is a deeply flawed overrated pool of QBs is utter nonsense.

Respectfully disagree.  The typical endorsers of "cannot miss QB's" - think Mike Mayock, et al. - are adding qualifiers to their support of these QB's as a way to hedge any bets on where these QB's will eventually end up performing.

It is patently false to think any of these QB's are near the reputation Luck had coming out.  That is my point.  Also, as some posters above are noting, there is just as good a chance the second tier will end up outperforming the first tier of this class.

Knowing this, why in the world would someone forfeit 5 or 6 premier picks for a high risk?  Does not make sense.  I cannot see McD or Beane differing here.  I have been wrong before, but the smart move is to add key talent in volume, now.   

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Do we know for sure that the Jets want Rosen?  I like Rosen, but he is a risky pick.  

Aren't they all?

I wonder if the Jets know who they want. They didn't get Cousins and now must placate the base by moving up with no guarantee they get their guy. 

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

Right on man, 

The way I see it Cleveland, Jests, Denver and Arizona with a move up will take a QB before us at 12 that is if the Bills even take one at 12 now. Will we ever have a staff that holds the QB position in a higher regard?

How can you possibly say this yet? Beane hasn't even had one freaking draft as the Bills GM! 

Also, Chris Ballard (Colts GM) said he was in talks with other QB needy teams and decided to take the Jets offer because he felt comfortable that they would still get one of their top rated players at #6. 

So how do you know Beane didn't make a good offer for that pick and the Colts just chose the Jets offer? 

You seem to have already written this staff off before their first draft just because they haven't traded up for a QB 6 weeks before the draft even happens. 

1 minute ago, BillsFan4 said:

How can you possibly say this yet? Beane hasn't even had one freaking draft as the Bills GM! 

Also, Chris Ballard (Colts GM) said he was in talks with other QB needy teams and decided to take the Jets offer because he felt comfortable that they would still get one of their top rated players at #6. 

So how do you know Beane didn't make a good offer for that pick and the Colts just chose the Jets offer? 

You seem to have already written this staff off before their first draft just because they haven't traded up for a QB 6 weeks before the draft even happens. 

Disappointed man, very disapointed.

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

You are exactly right. The 4th best guy this year would likely be the top guy many years.  Some people can't understand that one guy hasn't separated because all of them are very good in their own ways and think that means none of them are any good.

Great point. Their collective potential has somewhat diminished their individual accomplishments. In the competitive world of sports we always want to pit guys against each other. One guy has to be the best for us to be satisfied. The reality may be something completely different. There is the chance that all of these guys might become great. This is why it’s a bad year to go second tier imo. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

5 minutes ago, inaugural balls said:

Aren't they all?

I wonder if the Jets know who they want. They didn't get Cousins and now must placate the base by moving up with no guarantee they get their guy. 

I think the trade shows the general consensus is that the top 3 QBs are considered "can't miss" prospects. I'm pretty sure our base would be satiated with either 3.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Hurricane Marv said:

I think we're all going to have to learn to like McCarron quick.  And the Daboll/Ridley connection can't be ignored.  I think we're going to sit right there at 12 and take him, providing McCarron with a shiny new toy from the same program.

Those guys would be morons if they mortgage their future on McCarron. They haven’t done so yet, just saying that it would idiotic if they did so. 

10 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Disappointed man, very disapointed.

So am I. 

But this stuff is all out all out of our control. Let's wait and see what happens. We could still trade to #2, or if not to #5, 6 etc. to grab a guy like Mayfield or Allen. 

Or we take Rudolph at 12 or 22. Or White/Lauletta/Falk etc in the 2nd. 

This is is a very deep looking QB draft class. They will draft a guy in the first 2 rounds (and most likely in the 1st IMO), I am almost positive on that. 

Who knows, we could end up with one of the best QBs in this draft. Drafting college QBs is such a crap shoot. There is no guarantee that Rosen ends up better than one of the 2nd tier guys (even though I REALLY want Rosen!). I'm just saying that you have to wait and let things play out.

Let's see who the best QB is 2-3 years from now before we  burn Beane at the stake! 

From what we've seen so far IMO Beane and McDermott look to be the bes front office staff we've had since Polian. I'm not anywhere near ready to write them off yet even if they don't get their franchise QB this year. I really really hope they do, but it's not the end of the world if not. They WILL take a shot on a QB this year, that I know. 

There's nothing Beane can do if the Colts chose the Jets offer over the Bills (if that's what happened). 

And it could actually work work out better for us if we now trade to #2 instead of #3. 

How much would it have sucked to trad to #3 and then have the Jets or some other team jump up to #2 and leave our 3rd choice at QB after paying a fortune? 

Edited by BillsFan4

17 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Darnold is the highest rated QB on NFL.com's prospect list since Luck.

This class has been talked about for years.  The notion this is a deeply flawed overrated pool of QBs is utter nonsense.

So success is guaranteed?

2 minutes ago, TuelTime said:

I think the trade shows the general consensus is that the top 3 QBs are considered "can't miss" prospects. I'm pretty sure our base would be satiated with either 3.

Right. They hope the one they get is good.

At this point I suspect Beane has already secured the #2 pick from the giants and he just hasn't made it official.  If not...  At least I'll be saving an a**load of cash I would have otherwise spent on the ticket again this year. 

5 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Those guys would be morons if they mortgage their future on McCarron. They haven’t done so yet, just saying that it would idiotic if they did so. 

I don't disagree, it just may not be so much about mortgaging the future as it is saving your ass with an offensive weapon for McCarron / Peterman / whatever QB you can get in round 2 if they miss out on the top 4, which seems likely.

Edited by Hurricane Marv

1 minute ago, Hurricane Marv said:

I don't disagree, it just may not be so much about mortgaging the future as it is saving your ass with an offensive weapon for McCarron / Peterman / whatever QB you can get in round 2 if they miss out on the top 4, which seems likely.

They’ve just put so much into what appeared to be a move for a QB. Why weren’t we the ones who made this trade with the Colts? We could have made a better offer than the Jets. My only answer is they think that they need the number two pick for their guy, or they want someone to fall to them at 12 (bad mistake imo). Either way, I disagree with the philosophy. This QB class is deep at the top. I’d feel pretty good sitting at no.3. I’d feel much better today if we were the ones who made that trade. 

6 minutes ago, Meatplow said:

At this point I suspect Beane has already secured the #2 pick from the giants and he just hasn't made it official.  If not...  At least I'll be saving an a**load of cash I would have otherwise spent on the ticket again this year. 

I hope you’re right about securing the #2. The latter part, not so much. This is a talented QB class. Next seasons class will be nowhere close to this one in talent. Beane would simply be saving cash for a team who will be firing him soon, if he doesn’t get a QB this season. 

5 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:
11 minutes ago, Meatplow said:

I hope you’re right about securing the #2. The latter part, not so much. This is a talented QB class. Next seasons class will be nowhere close to this one in talent. Beane would simply be saving cash for a team who will be firing him soon, if he doesn’t get a QB this season. 

I was talking about ME saving an a**load of cash by not paying for NFL Sunday Ticket :) 

• Haha (+1) 1