Colts at 6 is now a great target

32 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

While I admit it's scary that the Jets jumped up, it may work in our favor.

I can EASILY see the draft playing out like this:

1 Cle-Darnold

2 Giants-Barkley/Nelson

3 Jets-Rosen

4 Cle-Fitzpatrick/Barkley

5 Den-Barkey/Nelson/Fitzpatrick

As the draft sits today, with the Colts at 6 I would say there is the best value for a trade up. Mayfield would potentially still be on the board.  The Giants need a RB and they need OLine help badly. I don't see them going QB in round 1. Mike White, Lauletta Falk...that I can see. Same with Denver. Just lost Talib. Need OLine help. Would like to upgrade at RB. I see them more in play with White/Lauletta/Falk or a trade up for Rudolph late 1st round.

At 12 the Colts still can likely get some defense (Smith, Vea). Would cost far less to get to 6 than 2.

If I'm Beane I don't panic. I keep that scenario in mind and wait til draft night. See how the draft falls and make moves accordingly.

Good advice- don't panic.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'm not the OP. I don't think they are likely to trade back again. Ballard did say they need talented players on cheap deals when talking about reason for the trade. But I think they have a target in mind and wanted pick 6 for a specific player. 

From the Colts perspective - if they do trade back with us, they'll get a similar haul to the one from the Jets. They could have a helluva draft for the next 2 seasons.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

But the Colts wouldn't have- All the Jet's picks are better than ours.

The premise of this thread is that we should be targeting the Colts now #6 pick in an effort to move up and hence them move back...If they wanted to move back to 12, we could have moved up to 3...our 2 firsts are much better than the Jets 2 2nds this year and a 2nd next year

• Like (+1) 1

Nah, it's not high enough IMO.

My guess -

Darnold goes #1

Rosen goes #3 (or #2 if the Giants trade their pick)

Mayfield goes #5 to Broncos (athey seem very high in him)

If some other team trades to #2, then it could go Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield 1,2,3.

In that scenario Then likely Allen goes #5 to the Broncos. 

10 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

Question for you guys, if Mayfield did indeed drop to #6, why would we need to trade up that high for him? The only threat to take Mayfield at that point is Miami.

#6 Indy - Luck

#7 Tampa Bay - Winston

#8 Chicago - Trubisky

#9 San Fran - Jimmy G

#10 Oakland - Carr

#11 Miami - Tannehill, but may take one, maybe not.

So if one of the top 4 got past the top 5 picks, there is virtually no threat until #11. If we could just jump up 2-3 spots, we would have a really good chance at one of the top 4.

But any of those teams could trade out with another team who wants a QB.  I would think Arizona is the prime candidate to do so, but maybe they won't be willing to trade up after they signed Bradford.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, OldTimer1960 said:

But any of those teams could trade out with another team who wants a QB.  I would think Arizona is the prime candidate to do so, but maybe they won't be willing to trade up after they signed Bradford.

That's a possibility, but I wonder if we are projecting our needs onto other teams. We are talking about 4 QBs in the top 10, has that ever happened before?

1 minute ago, NewDayBills said:

That's a possibility, but I wonder if we are projecting our needs onto other teams. We are talking about 4 QBs in the top 10, has that ever happened before?

True enough about projecting our needs, but i think they have to assume that someone might trade into one of those slots for a QB.  Maybe the Bills would not care at that point.  Who knows if they'd be just about as happy with Jackson or Rudolph or someone in round 2?

i don't think the plan is to hope that McCarron is the long-term answer, but he might be the plan for 2018.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This thread was created to say we should trade to #6 with the Colts

" As the draft sits today, with the Colts at 6 I would say there is the best value for a trade up. "

What I am saying is, if the Colts are really interested in moving down from 6 to 12 - we should have just went to 3 at that point...

We should have...bit if the Colts feel they can gather more picks by trading with the Jets and then flipping 6 to us...their haul goes WAYYYYYY up. Takes 2 to deal and I'm certain the Colts have a plan as well.

27 minutes ago, Looper said:

I see it a little differently  ... 

1 Cle-Darnold

2 Giants-Rosen

3 Jets-Mayfield

4 Cle-Barkley

5 Den-Allen

And I see Miami taking Jackson @ 11, so the Bills would have to jump them. More likely the BIlls take a positional player @ 12 and possibly Rudolph @ 22. 

Except you have Arizona, Baltimore and San Diego between 22 and 12. If you want a QB, you will need to either take him at 12 or just say screw it, I'll grab White/Falk in the third.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just a hunch but McBeane stays put at 12......he covets his draft capital and no one knows his target(s) or what HIS franchise QB is b y definition.......

I agree.
But almost by definition he is either taking a QB at 12, or not planning on taking one until the third round or so. Takes big, big, big brass balls this year to do something like that. 

I just have this feeling that Jackson is in play here at 12. Senior, competitive as all get out, leader, fast. Not quite Cam Newton but the same problems for a defense. 

Whatever. I'm not about to freak out about the plans of a GM that universally was admired 8 hours ago, especially because the original Clown Car manufacturer from the Meadowlands made a move. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Tyrod's friend said:

I agree.
But almost by definition he is either taking a QB at 12, or not planning on taking one until the third round or so. Takes big, big, big brass balls this year to do something like that. 

I just have this feeling that Jackson is in play here at 12. Senior, competitive as all get out, leader, fast. Not quite Cam Newton but the same problems for a defense. 

Whatever. I'm not about to freak out about the plans of a GM that universally was admired 8 hours ago, especially because the original Clown Car manufacturer from the Meadowlands made a move. 

...as one who does not get to see college ball, I'm going to pose a question and please don't shoot the questioner....from what I have read strictly STYLE WISE (exclude ability please), Jackson is an upscale TT.....so did TT's STYLE turn off McBeane/McD/McDaboll?....or did they like the mobility style and saw the passing game as a sorely lacking, viable & consistent threat?....if so, are they comfortable with Jackson's STYLE and see him as possessing the passing game threat that TT lacked?.....appreciate your insight....

• Like (+1) 1

If the Jets get Rosen I fear that by the time tomorrow Brady retires Tom Brady 2.0 will just be hitting his stride and we will be left with a bust and another 20 years of crap.  We need Rosen on our team as much as we can't let him into our division.  

We must get to #1 or #2

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...as one who does not get to see college ball, I'm going to pose a question and please don't shoot the questioner....from what I have read strictly STYLE WISE (exclude ability please), Jackson is an upscale TT.....so did TT's STYLE turn off McBeane/McD/McDaboll?....or did they like the mobility style and saw the passing game as a sorely lacking, viable & consistent threat?....if so, are they comfortable with Jackson's STYLE and see him as possessing the passing game threat that TT lacked?.....appreciate your insight....

I think they just saw Taylor as limited - right? How do you sit him and play Peterman any other way? I mean, they experienced Cam; Daboll ran an offense with Jalen Hurts, a running QB (although he might have preferred the passing QB, given the post season game). 

When I see Taylor throwing the ball, I see Newton. A flick and the ball is gone. Not always perfect, but enough so and a guy that transforms the game. Fearless. Able to throw over the middle, had good footwork in the pocket, competitive to the nth degree. 

End of the day, Jackson is one of the QBs to play an Erhardt/Perkins offense and that should be what we expect from Daboll. There's just too much smoke there.

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

While I admit it's scary that the Jets jumped up, it may work in our favor.

I can EASILY see the draft playing out like this:

1 Cle-Darnold

2 Giants-Barkley/Nelson

3 Jets-Rosen

4 Cle-Fitzpatrick/Barkley

5 Den-Barkey/Nelson/Fitzpatrick

As the draft sits today, with the Colts at 6 I would say there is the best value for a trade up. Mayfield would potentially still be on the board.  The Giants need a RB and they need OLine help badly. I don't see them going QB in round 1. Mike White, Lauletta Falk...that I can see. Same with Denver. Just lost Talib. Need OLine help. Would like to upgrade at RB. I see them more in play with White/Lauletta/Falk or a trade up for Rudolph late 1st round.

At 12 the Colts still can likely get some defense (Smith, Vea). Would cost far less to get to 6 than 2.

If I'm Beane I don't panic. I keep that scenario in mind and wait til draft night. See how the draft falls and make moves accordingly.

If Colts wanted to go to 12 I'm sure they already could have dealt w/Beane.  Colts GM had to have spoken to multiple teams before dealing w/Jets.  Also, it's hard to say who the Bills like.  Although Mayfield is the only one of the big 4 that hasn't been linked to the Bills.

I'm not a top 5 or bust guy though.  I would be fine if they used all of those picks they have and spent one on a QB.  I don't think Beane is as thirsty as some of the Mafia is.  Bills can come out of this draft way ahead even if they don't get into top 5.  

• Like (+1) 1