Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Shhouldn't even be a choice...go to 2 now

The choice is really that of the New York football Giants. They may be unwilling to trade the pick before the draft because they covet a certain player ( Barkley). Or they may be unwilling to trade it at all. Or only for 4 first round picks. Should the Bills pay that? It would hamper their ability to build a team. They have few players under contract as it stands. 

Hopefully he calls Gettleman and says something like “Remember that time I covered for you and told your wife you were on a scouting trip when you were really in Hawaii with your girlfriend. It would be a shame for her to find out the truth after all of these years”

THEN, we would have real negotiating power.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

If the giants don’t want to move back there won’t be anything we can do. Anyone that’s still confident needs to understand that. Our best bet at this point might be 1. At least the Browns would then still have 4 to fall back on. Might want to just say forget it and go to 1.

True.  Ultimately it all comes down to whether Beane thinks one of these guys is a can't miss type

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

The choice is really that of the New York football Giants. They may be unwilling to trade the pick before the draft because they covet a certain player ( Barkley). Or they may be unwilling to trade it at all. Or only for 4 first round picks. Should the Bills pay that? It would hamper their ability to build a team. They have few players under contract as it stands. 

Agree with it is up to NYG. Barkley doesn't really fit gettleman's MO and you can find good RBs throughout the draft. They want Nelson and need an interior lineman badly.  We need to give them a path to move back and get Nelson IMO...

I happen to agree with this line of thinking:

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL 7h7 hours ago

If the Giants are truly in "win now" mode, Quenton Nelson (my best player in the draft, fwiw) should be the pick. If they're eyeing the future, should be QB.

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL 6h6 hours ago

Saquon Barkley played in 38 college football games. He failed to get to 100 yards rushing in 23 of them. (61%)

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL 5h5 hours ago

I'm not trying to bag on Saquon Barkley, he's a good RB. I'm trying to show you why drafting a good RB top 10 is not a winning philosophy.

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL 4h4 hours ago

Since 2000, the list of top ten drafted RBs to take their team to a Super Bowl is: Jamal Lewis *Reggie Bush *Bush ran the ball 70 total times for the Saints in 2009, and had been supplanted by Pierre Thomas.

Benjamin AllbrightVerified account @AllbrightNFL 5h5 hours ago

1st RB taken, vs 1st RB taken in 2nd round, last ten years:

17 1. Fournette 2. Dalvin Cook

16 1. Zeke 2. Derrick Henry

15 1. Gurley 2. Yeldon

12 1. T Rich 2. Pead

11 1. Ingram 2. Ryan Williams

10 1. Spiller 2. Gerhart

09 1.Moreno 2. LeSean McCoy

08 1. Run DMC 2. Forte

Gettlemans Intro presser:

“I’d like to have a team that says, ‘Buckle up your chin straps, pally. We’re going to knock your jocks off.’ ” “Tom Coughlin said it to me his first year he came in here,” Gettleman said. “He said, ‘Big men allow you to compete,’ and that’s really just so true.”

It has long been a credo of many NFL execs that high picks should be used on big men ( and QBs) . It's old school, and I can't argue with it. Something is holding a deal up and it likely centers around the Giants being able to draft a specific player. 

2 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It has long been a credo of many NFL execs that high picks should be used on big men ( and QBs) . It's old school, and I can't argue with it. Something is holding a deal up and it likely centers around the Giants being able to draft a specific player. 

Not sure if it is really the case (don't really believe it), but a deal could already be done...

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills should make every effort to jump up to the #2 pick to get their guy. 

I agree completely. Do what has to be done. I don't want the Jets to get a franchise QB and see the Bills left out in the cold.

I bet it will take us trading up into the top 5 and then trading again to #2. That's going to take a whole lot.

Just now, MJS said:

I agree completely. Do what has to be done. I don't want the Jets to get a franchise QB and see the Bills left out in the cold.

I bet it will take us trading up into the top 5 and then trading again to #2. That's going to take a whole lot.

Before I did anything, I'd make sure with 100% certainty that Rosen would even wanna play for the Bills and not pull a 2004 Eli move.

I really believe we have a very small window to get to 2 or another team will get there. I hate this in between garbage. If these guys want one of the big QBs. Don’t wait until Miami or Denver moves up ahead of the Jets. Pay whatever the Giants want tonight. Otherwise I bet we are to late and sorry.

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus

I think #7 gets Gettleman Nelson....

Browns:  Darnold (The highest ceiling but needs the finishing work Hue thinks he can provide)

Bills:  Rosen (McD and Beane value intellect over any other trait--they go with the smartest player)

Jets:  Mayfield (Perfect fit for NY -- the biggest personality -- I honestly think this is who they want)

Browns:  Barkley

Broncos:  Allen (Allen has every trait that will make Elway want him...he is a piece of clay Elway will want to mold)

Colts; Chubb

Giants:  Nelson

Edited by JoeF

16 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I really believe we have a very small window to get to 2 or another team will get there. I hate this in between garbage. If these guys want one of the big QBs. Don’t wait until Miami or Denver moves up ahead of the Jets. Pay whatever the Giants want tonight. Otherwise I bet we are to late and sorry.

What if the Bills don't have the currency demanded ( a pick in the top ten) for such a move up ?  You can't force teams to trade with you. I suppose a GM could go " full Ditka" and offer everything. I don't think this strategy has a strong track record of success. 

Edited by Boatdrinks

53 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Hopefully he calls Gettleman and says something like “Remember that time I covered for you and told your wife you were on a scouting trip when you were really in Hawaii with your girlfriend. It would be a shame for her to find out the truth after all of these years”

THEN, we would have real negotiating power.

Be better if there were like farm animals/pandas involved and Beane has pictures....  ;-)

And the Giants announce they have traded #2 to the Bills for #12 and a 6th rounder..and a shredder & thumb drive to be named later...

• Haha (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

What if the Bills don't have the currency demanded ( a pick in the top ten) for such a move up ?  You can't force teams to trade with you. I suppose a GM could go " full Ditka" and offer everything. I don't think this strategy has a strong track record of success. 

I tend to believe that's the likely reality.  If Beane just need to give up pick #22 / #53 / 2019 2nd to make sure they get up from 12 to get a QB in the top 3, I think they do it without hesitation.

8 minutes ago, wppete said:

Did he call yet? 

Word is Gettleman is actually there in person and is riding Beane around the room and making him whinny like a pony. 

Beane is doing everything he can not to get fired by the end of the day. So many Bills fans to appease, so little time.

Edited by Fetou