Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

2 hours ago, Augie said:

Now that they Jets are feeling all good about their prospects, wouldn’t it be glorious to jump in front of them at the last minute and steal their guy?!?! They’’d never admit it, of course.... “we got our guy”, but how great would that be? A guy can dream....

Not if we have to give up three 1st rounders

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

No, you haven’t.

Your first comment was about them wanting to trade to 12 for their guy, that that’s been the target all along. Now your taking about how they rank the top 15 or 12.

How the heck does Beane know for a fact, enough to give up a LT and draft capital, that their guy will be there at 12? What if he’s not? There are 11 other teams picking in front of the Bills.

Because you said their guy won't make 12. I asked how do you know who their guy is and you've been on a ramble since.

11 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Not if we have to give up three 1st rounders

I know this is just me justifying it in my own mind, but I look at #22 as kind of a freebie since we traded back and still got a stud in Tre. So it’s not “really” three 1sts if you play that little game in your mind.  Regardless, if you “know” (the best you can) that a guy is a Franchise QB, I’d do it. You don’t reach the promised land without that QB. 

Just now, Augie said:

I know this is just me justifying it in my own mind, but I look at #22 as kind of a freebie since we traded back and still got a stud in Tre. So it’s not “really” three 1sts if you play that little game in your mind.  Regardless, if you “know” (the best you can) that a guy is a Franchise QB, I’d do it. You don’t reach the promised land without that QB. 

If the trade back doesn't yield the QB we have all been waiting for it's all for naught. 

3 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Because you said their guy won't make 12. I asked how do you know who their guy is and you've been on a ramble since.

Because what? You’re losing me here and not making much sense. I didn’t say their guy wouldn’t be their at 12.

Again, you’ve said maybe their guy they want is at 12 and that that’s why they moved there. I said that would mean that Beane thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. And that’s dumb.

You havent been able to defend that position and still haven’t explained how Beane knows his guy will be there at 12.

Just now, Wayne Cubed said:

Because what? You’re losing me here and not making much sense. I didn’t say their guy wouldn’t be their at 12.

Again, you’ve said maybe their guy they want is at 12 and that that’s why they moved there. I said that would mean that Beane thinks he’s smarter than everyone else. And that’s dumb.

You havent been able to defend that position and still haven’t explained how Beane knows his guy will be there at 12.

Again why does that make him smarter than everyone else? These are your assumptions. Teams make their own mocks. I'm sure they have a player they want at 12 if they stay at 12.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If the trade back doesn't yield the QB we have all been waiting for it's all for naught. 

I never dreamed the Jets might have a plan, but I had assumed this was the basic tenet at the core of what we are doing. I don’t think that has changed. I just hope we nail the choice! It’s always a crap shoot no matter where you pick. Be wise and choose well. 

2 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

Again why does that make him smarter than everyone else? These are your assumptions. Teams make their own mocks. I'm sure they have a player they want at 12 if they stay at 12.

Im not assuming anything! You are. You assume he has a player he wants at 12. I’ve said if that is the case than he thinks he’s smarter than everyone else, because there is no way of knowing he can actually draft that player. He doesn’t know who is going to be drafted 1-11 therefore he can’t say, yes I’ll definitely get player XX at 12. And if he does think that, that’s dumb. 

I can’t explain it any more simplistically, I’m sorry.

im going to have to bow out now.

25 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I wouldn't bet on it, but I hope they can pull it off. 

"If I had to bet."

Idk, I have a feeling they are more likely than not to make the trade with the Giants. I won't be suprised if they didn't, but I think trading for the #2 has been in the works for some time.

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I'm certain of QB selections at 1 and 3.  Not as much for the #2 slot although I can see a case for it.  The recents moves of the Giants gives me pause on them taking a QB. 

Agreed. This past season was very fluky - in a bad way - for the Giants.  I think the 2016 team is the real one. OBJ is gonna come back at 100 percent, Solder is a huge upgrade, and they have defensive talent. They need a back,  a TE, and interior linemen. They also only have 5 picks. Eli can still play. When I watch him, he looks. Like EXACTLY the same player he was in 2011.

59 minutes ago, JoeF said:

Beane likely has to make two moves if the Bills want "their guy" if there is a "their guy".  Gettleman won't want to drop all the way to 12.   Beane knows this and likely has the structure in place to make both deals.

Offer Tampa 1-12, 2-21 and 3-32 for 1-7 -- this is a 12% overpayment.

Offer NY Giants - 1-7, 1-22, and the topper, 1-2019 for 1-2.  This represents a 26% overpayment if you calculate next year's #1 at 1000 points and Vegas oddsmakers are expecting the Bills to regress and finish in the bottom quartile.

Bills still have 2-24 and 3-1.

Beane said something interesting yesterday.  He said patience is the key ...they let the UFA QB market play out and ended up getting McCarron on the cheap.  Let everyone else make their moves and see what plays out in the draft.  Make the Tampa trade late to scare the pants off everyone else.  Bills have an advantage because none of the other teams have second first rounder this year to deal so he will be in good position and then see how the draft plays out.   Be willing to part with next year's #1 because that's what you do if you are convinced that you are getting a franchise QB and take solace in the fact that you have a ton of cap space next year to fill any 2019 holes. 

Bills will never be in a better position than this year.  This team is on the rise and the floor is likely not drafting in the top 10 for the near future.  I have confidence he will get this done. 

Good analysis.

Mike Rodak
Jets box out Bills in quarterback race by trading up to No. 3
With the Jets nabbing the draft's No. 3 pick, the Bills will have to pay a hefty price if they intend to jump their rival and grab their preferred QB.

Your move, Buffalo Bills.

The New York Jets got an almost six-week jump on the Bills before April's draft, trading the No. 6 overall pick and three second-round selections (two in 2018 and one in 2019) to the Indianapolis Colts for the No. 3 overall pick.

I find it interesting that everyone seems to think the Giants are a lock to take a QB at #2 because they think they have to.  Then those same people also think they are willing trade down partners.  Seems contradictory thinking.

If Giants are locked in on a QB they wont trade the pick.  If they aren't taking a QB, which I dont think they will personally and will instead make one more push with Eli, then that actually decreases the reason to even trade to 2.  There is no one left trying to get to 2 for sure, in fact, the only alleged team that would probably still want to is the Bills.  But why should they?  If no one else is trading to 2 then quite possible only 2 QB's are going in top 10 unless someone outside the top 10 trades up (Cle and Jets).

Broncos did not need to sign Keenum to that contract if they are taking a QB at 5.  They had 2 bridge QB's on the roster already for cheaper.  Seems to me (and Elway said so too) signed Keenum to start and try and get that team back in the postseason now before the window closes any further.

Just my 2 cents

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

It is Rodak being a moron again.  How you can say the Bills are boxed out then in the next sentence say they can move to 2 and call yourself a journalist is absurd

The headline refers to pick #3 which calls for another move.  He's right.

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

Beane likely has to make two moves if the Bills want "their guy" if there is a "their guy".  Gettleman won't want to drop all the way to 12.   Beane knows this and likely has the structure in place to make both deals.

Offer Tampa 1-12, 2-21 and 3-32 for 1-7 -- this is a 12% overpayment.

Offer NY Giants - 1-7, 1-22, and the topper, 1-2019 for 1-2.  This represents a 26% overpayment if you calculate next year's #1 at 1000 points and Vegas oddsmakers are expecting the Bills to regress and finish in the bottom quartile.

Bills still have 2-24 and 3-1.

Beane said something interesting yesterday.  He said patience is the key ...they let the UFA QB market play out and ended up getting McCarron on the cheap.  Let everyone else make their moves and see what plays out in the draft.  Make the Tampa trade late to scare the pants off everyone else.  Bills have an advantage because none of the other teams have second first rounder this year to deal so he will be in good position and then see how the draft plays out.   Be willing to part with next year's #1 because that's what you do if you are convinced that you are getting a franchise QB and take solace in the fact that you have a ton of cap space next year to fill any 2019 holes. 

Bills will never be in a better position than this year.  This team is on the rise and the floor is likely not drafting in the top 10 for the near future.  I have confidence he will get this done. 

Solid....