Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

1 minute ago, #34fan said:

Yah... Sell our soul for a kid who could positively suck... I like what NYJ did with Bridgewater... I think they're targeting Barkley.

They should sell the idea that they're targeting Barkley as hard as they can; getting Cleveland to move to 2 would prevent someone else from taking a QB in that slot

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I'm just thinking why the Jets didn't just go up to #2, my guess is that it was unavailable, I think worst case scenario is we move up to #4 with Cleveland if the Giants aren't budging. That's if the Bills think there are truly 4 franchise QB's in this draft which is highly unlikely. 

Jets at 3 and Giants at 2, swapping picks is easy for the Giants if you know you won't be going QB. 

2 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The Bills should make every effort to jump up to the #2 pick to get their guy. 

I hear you.  But what if their guy is Rudolph or Jackson?

Glenn was out the door one way or another so swapping up to 12 for him was a good move.   All that to say, what if 12 was more about Roquan Smith than a QB they believe will be there  at 22?

Just now, purple haze said:

Glenn was out the door one way or another so swapping up to 12 for him was a good move.   All that to say, what if 12 was more about Roquan Smith than a QB they believe will be there  at 22?

They were in on the conversations with the Colts.  What does that tell you?

Just now, purple haze said:

The Glenn trade tells us they are not targeting Rudolph or Jackson.  He was not out the door no matter what.  That trade created a hole on the BIlls roster.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They were in on the conversations with the Colts.  What does that tell you?

Tells me they like one or more of the QBs everyone talks about.  But Beane didn't pull the trigger which tells me he doesn't like one at all costs.  Which tells me he might be just fine using all of his picks.  

We shall see.  High drama this draft season. ?

Edited by purple haze
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, mattynh said:

The Glenn trade tells us they are not targeting Rudolph or Jackson.  He was not out the door no matter what.  That trade created a hole on the BIlls roster.

They were dangling Cordy last season.  By accounts of those covering the team he was a good bet not to be on the roster this season.

Edited by purple haze

1 minute ago, purple haze said:

Tells me they like one or more of the QBs everyone talks about.  But Beane didn't pull the trigger which tells me he doesn't like one at all costs.  Which tells me he might be just fine using all of his picks.  

We shall see.  High drama this draft season. ?

It says more about how low the Colts were willing to go as their GM said. 

21 minutes ago, Success said:

And why not?  Right now he has as much ceiling as just about anyone.

I really like McCarron and have since he was drafted. I am very excited about him being here. I just wanted to get either Rosen or Darnold too. Sucks that we sat around and let the Jets control some of our own destiny. Haste makes waste.

12 minutes ago, stony said:

Was this verified?

That's what I want to know.  I don't believe it.  I think the Jets panicked.  I honestly don't believe the Bills were talking to anyone about trading up yet.

6 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It says more about how low the Colts were willing to go as their GM said. 

Indeed.  They could run into the same issue with Gettleman though.  If Beane deals up I think it's with the Browns at 1 because they could still conceivably grab a QB at 4.

22 minutes ago, stony said:

Was this verified?

It was widely reported the Bills were the most aggressive team in working for a trade up.  That's not "Rudolph or Jackson is their guy".  Furthermore, if Rudolph or Jackson were their guy, isn't it a red flag that "their guy" is widely viewed as the 5th or 6th best guy in the draft?  There's no way Rudolph or Jackson is plan A.

Either we are far in negotiations with the Giants, or we just lost, bottom line and the Jets offered something we couldn't, the ability to stay in the "blue chip" territory.

11 minutes ago, PIZ said:

That's what I want to know.  I don't believe it.  I think the Jets panicked.  I honestly don't believe the Bills were talking to anyone about trading up yet.

You are living in lala land if you don't believe they've been working hard to make a move to get in position for a QB.  Goff and Wentz were traded long before the draft.  Same with RG3.  If the Bills truly weren't talking to anyone yet, we should be very concerned about what's going on at OBD.

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

They do the deal today to get certainty as to their spot. Clearly they already talked to the Giants at #2. You don't trade to 3 without doing that. It's likely the Giants are staying at 2 to take Barkley. They are all in on Eli for the next few years and want specific pieces to put around him, not just picks. 

The question is, did the Jets really have to trade up to 2? It would’ve cost much more to do to so, perhaps adding in next year’s 1st. They know the Giants won’t be picking a QB, so the Colts spot gives them 1 of the top 2 QBs, possibly the best one. 

The downside would be that that someone else, like a certain division rival leap frogs them. Is this risk really worth the bounty they would need to pay? Do you pay this price just to block a division rival?

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

It was widely reported the Bills were the most aggressive team in working for a trade up.  That's not "Rudolph or Jackson is their guy".  Furthermore, if Rudolph or Jackson were their guy, isn't it a red flag that "their guy" is widely viewed as the 5th or 6th best guy in the draft?  There's no way Rudolph or Jackson is plan A.

Either we are far in negotiations with the Giants, or we just lost, bottom line and the Jets offered something we couldn't, the ability to stay in the "blue chip" territory.

You are living in lala land if you don't believe they've been working hard to make a move to get in position for a QB.  Goff and Wentz were traded long before the draft.  Same with RG3.  If the Bills truly weren't talking to anyone yet, we should be very concerned about what's going on at OBD.

Rams traded up on April 14.

Eagles traded up on April 21.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I don't think anyone's in lala land.  I just haven't seen a report that specifically mentioned the Bills were one of the teams talking w/ Indy.  It doesn't men they weren't.  Just curious.  

10 minutes ago, stony said:

I don't think anyone's in lala land.  I just haven't seen a report that specifically mentioned the Bills were one of the teams talking w/ Indy.  It doesn't men they weren't.  Just curious.  

Again, there were several reports that said the Bills have been the most aggressive team in targeting a trade up.  If you need someone to say "The Bills were also talking to Indy, they offered x,y,z" to believe we were talking about a pick that was clearly in play, then yes, that's not reality, that reporting doesn't happen.