Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Pay attention to Cleveland here too--it's entirely plausible that they'd move from 4 to 2 to guarantee themselves both Barkley and a QB, which I've been saying for two weeks now 

Certainly plausible. 

Even more so if the Giants want Nelson.

9 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Obviously.

I won't be surprised if a trade is already agreed to. 

If Barkley goes #1, the Bills move up. If he doesn't, the Bills have something lined up with Denver or Indy. 

The Bills aren't going into the season with McCarron as their QB. 

Even if Beane is comfortable that his guy would be available at 12 then I'm sure he has/is still exhausting every possibility. I don't have the impression that it's still amatuer hour at OBD. For years I have said find your guy and do what it takes to get him. It seems they are doing just that, many other folks said the same exact thing so I don't get the outrage of the Jets moving up.

Beane has all the cards to get what he wants. Let's see who he decided was the guy. I won't be shocked at any of the top 4 ending up in Bills gear, I will be shocked if Beane's draft recap is him babbling about "we tried but couldn't get the guy so we did x" 

I don't see that happening.

Edited by Commonsense

4 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Pay attention to Cleveland here too--it's entirely plausible that they'd move from 4 to 2 to guarantee themselves both Barkley and a QB, which I've been saying for two weeks now 

If Gettleman isn't set on a QB he would get a nice haul for falling down to 12, I don't see him dropping a few spots and taking a small return. It's a pile of picks or it's a QB.

If Lamar Jackson is truly their guy like some reports and rumors have suggested, then staying at 12 should be fine. Beane is doing the same exact thing he did when everyone went crazy for FA QB's this past week. He is waiting for the dust to settle. If there is a rush on QB's we're going to get 1 hell of a talented player at 12, someone's gonna fall... BPA. We've gone into a season with worse QB problems IMO. I actually like McCarron and believe without question even if we do draft a QB early, AJ will start this year and unless an injury occurs, finish it.

Bummer for some on here but is it possible the Bills are actually smart now? Not grasping at straws and mortgaging our future like the past 17 years? Culture has changed, maybe fans perception of this team needs to change with it.

F the Jets. 25mil wrapped up in Teddy B and McCown, now this trade?

Im trusting the process.

Exciting times indeed.

18 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Yup.

Until the Giants know if they can get Barkley they stay put.

When the Browns take him, we'll move up to #2 and draft the best QB in the draft while they begin their rebuild with a boat load of draft picks. 

The Browns are taking the best QB on their board #1.  Given the past three years there, I find it incredibly hard to entertain otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Success said:

I can’t imagine the smile that would spread across Gettleman’s face if Beane called him today.

This is poker.  Play it cool.

They have already spoken; bank on that

The move to 12 reeks of a GM that had gauged the market and knew 21 to top 5 was too great of a jump to achieve IMO

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Or they couldn't afford what the Giants want.  To say they are not willing trade is not accurate in my opinion.  Most observers would say the Jets went up as far as they could.  

Afford it? They either don't possess a pick high enough in this draft to make it happen ( the Jets got their deal done due to the 6th pick) or are UNWILLING to give up the plethora of picks it would take to coax the Giants out of it. There is no such thing as can't afford it.. they could give up picks now until 2022 if they wanted to. They don't want to.

6 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The move to 12 reeks of a GM that had gauged the market and knew 21 to top 5 was too great of a jump to achieve IMO

...so does he get fired pre or post draft?...........

48 minutes ago, Magox said:

Nonsense!

No Relaxing!   Be hysterical! Threaten Beane's Job if he doesn't trade up and overpay!  Mortgage the farm!  Mortgage your kids farm!  Mortgage off and sell everything!!!! 

Trade up NOW!!!!

Or.........you can do what the Bills have been doing...........pay rent.........and spend the savings on low cost,  almost certain to fail lottery tickets.      I just know Nate Peterman is the one!  We need that 3rd round pick to draft the next Preston Brown so I can feel better about my paper roster!

The real problem with the mortgage analogy is that it IMPLIES YOU OWN SOMETHING OF VALUE TO MORTGAGE..........you "mortgage the farm" to pay for debts or something you want/need and still retain use of what you have.........all the Bills have is a history of never winning a SB and usually missing the playoffs.

Trading up for a top QB prospect is an investment........if it fails........you try again in a few years......it doesn't automatically set you back 5 years and it's not a 20 year commitment.......but if you get the right QB it could actually turn into a 20 year ASSET.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

The Browns are taking Darnold. That is virtually a lock.

No it's not.

The Colts wanted Barkley, and they just traded down ending their chances at getting him.

They know either the Browns or Giants are taking him, and it's probably the Browns because if they don't, the Giants will (he won't be there when #4 comes up). 

Edited by jrober38

19 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Agreed.........and the Jets moving up is more than just a move of aggression against the Bills..........the Broncos are a known, proven QB-centric organization and even the Dolphins are contenders to move up.

Can't sleep on the Dolphins..........the main reason to change culture mid-regime is to clean the place up for a new, young QB.    It's like GM nesting.   You can almost see the systematic removal of people who might make it difficult for a young QB to become the team leader early in his career.    And if you are the Jets.......after all of their very public blunders over the years.........how would it look if Buffalo AND Miami jumped you for a QB?    For once the Jets are acting like they are as desperate as they should be.