Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

R-E-L-A-X

Nonsense!

No Relaxing!   Be hysterical! Threaten Beane's Job if he doesn't trade up and overpay!  Mortgage the farm!  Mortgage your kids farm!  Mortgage off and sell everything!!!! 

Trade up NOW!!!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, gobills1212 said:

In fairness, neither of us know if there is or isnt...

I agree, its all a gamble. 

I have followed this QB draft very closely like others have as well. I really don't see an impact QB prospect outside of Rosen and he has warts due to concussions.

I'm not a fan of overvaluing a prospect due to need...I trust that Beane & staff have way more info on each prospect and have set a realistic value on who will be slotted where and not a fan message board. Its fun, entertaining & frustrating at times reading though.

1 minute ago, Scorp83 said:

They should but I don't think Gettlemen will budge. I know him & Beane have a good relationship... but I feel like they are set on Barkley & unless Cleveland draft Barkley (which I doubt it base off the Hyde signing) then the only chance we have is to mortage the farm for 1st overall. 

You could very well be right that they won't move out.   With them losing out on #3,  he needs to try to make it worth their while. 

8 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

Don't give away the farm.  Build this year with our picks.  No rookie QB is a given.  We have our QB from Cin with some experience.  There will be F/A next year and another crop of rookie QB's.  Take a QB in the later rounds and hope.  That's all you can do with any of them.  No givens.

☝️? ?  Where have you been for the past 17 years buddy? We've tried this plan under Chan Gailey, Rex Ryan, Mularkey, Juaron, Wade... I'm mean really... what's the definition of insanity again?

Edited by Scorp83
Miss the word "mean"

20 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I don't think this is true at all. 

People are jumping to conclusions. 

One of two things are going to happen:

1. Browns pick Barkley #1 overall, Giants trade down and accumulate picks.

2. Browns pick a QB #1 overall, Giants pick Barkley. 

The Giants aren't trading their pick until they know if they can get Barkley.

I totally agree with this Jrober 

This is pretty much ideal situation going around the NFL about the Giants... this has been said numerous of times on WGR. Most people won't agree...cause they think this is an opinion but it's almost a fact

He may have already tried and it's possible everyone is staying put.  We may have to settle for #12.  Lamar Jackson may be our QB of the future or they may stay at 12 and get Roquan Smith and get a QB they like (like Lauletta or White) later.  There are no guarantees that they can trade up into the top 5; only a Ditka move would guarantee that.

Edited by PIZ

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You could very well be right that they won't move out.   With them losing out on #3,  he needs to try to make it worth their while. 

& I'm all for that. If Beane believes his guy is our franchise QB for the next 10-15yrs... then you do it. 

1 minute ago, DJB said:

Its probably going to cost us our 2 firsts this year and our 1st next year to get that 2nd pick. Its going to be costly because the Giants have us by the gonads

Yea definitely our 2 1st's... crazy I really figured we had a great deal with the Colts... Lawson, the 12th & 65th picks along with next year's 2nd. That's a great deal ... (this is what was thrown around on GR)

No reason to do the deal today unless they are worried another team like the Broncos or Cardinals would trade to 2.  Im not sure that is the case.  If they have a guy they want that they think the Jets and Bronocos would target they have to go to 2.  They may like another Qb just as much that may be there at 12 .  IE Jackson.

Reality is this:

There are 3 teams left in the entire league who "desperately" need a QB, and two others in the top 10 who could take one. Let's look at the big picture.

Desperate needs:

• Cleveland - they're taking a QB with one of their picks. My guess is they pick Barkley to solidify their back field and give the team some star power, and come back with the 4th pick to draft Josh Allen
  • NY Jes - they're getting one of the top 3 guys. Bridgewater and McCown aren't long term options. 
  • Buffalo - we're paying McCarron backup money, and have stockpiled draft picks to trade into the top 5. 

Teams who could use an upgrade, but also need a lot of things:

• NY Giants - they have Eli who ownership felt was benched incorrectly last year. Barkley is their #1 player and they guy they'll pick if he's available. I don't think he will be, and when that happens I think they move down, stockpile picks and give Eli a much improved supporting cast to play his last year with. A developmental guy will be added later 
  • Denver - they just gave Case Keenum a two year $36,000,000 contract with $26,000,000 guaranteed. Elways knows his team is built to win now with better QB play. They have a veteran offense and defense and although they "need" a QB, the contract says Keenum is the guy they're going to build around for two years

Needs but aren't in a position to get a top QB:

• Miami - Tannehill isn't the guy and they need his replacement. 
  • Arizone - Bradford and Glennon are place holders 

The NFL is a win now league. The regime in Denver is on the hot seat and adding a QB who is going to sit on the bench doesn't help them this year. The Giants need a QB, but with a rookie coach who has a long leash, they can fill holes and build around Eli for one or two more seasons while stockpiling picks. 

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

No reason to do the deal today unless they are worried another team like the Broncos or Cardinals would trade to 2.  Im not sure that is the case.  If they have a guy they want that they think the Jets and Bronocos would target they have to go to 2.  They may like another Qb just as much that may be there at 12 .  IE Jackson.

They do the deal today to get certainty as to their spot. Clearly they already talked to the Giants at #2. You don't trade to 3 without doing that. It's likely the Giants are staying at 2 to take Barkley. They are all in on Eli for the next few years and want specific pieces to put around him, not just picks. 

12 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I totally agree with this Jrober 

This is pretty much ideal situation going around the NFL about the Giants... this has been said numerous of times on WGR. Most people won't agree...cause they think this is an opinion but it's almost a fact

Yup.

Until the Giants know if they can get Barkley they stay put.

When the Browns take him, we'll move up to #2 and draft the best QB in the draft while they begin their rebuild with a boat load of draft picks. 

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Reality is this:

There are 3 teams left in the entire league who "desperately" need a QB, and two others in the top 10 who could take one. Let's look at the big picture.

Desperate needs:

• Cleveland - they're taking a QB with one of their picks. My guess is they pick Barkley to solidify their back field and give the team some star power, and come back with the 4th pick to draft Josh Allen
  • NY Jes - they're getting one of the top 3 guys. Bridgewater and McCown aren't long term options. 
  • Buffalo - we're paying McCarron backup money, and have stockpiled draft picks to trade into the top 5. 

Teams who could use an upgrade, but also need a lot of things:

• NY Giants - they have Eli who ownership felt was benched incorrectly last year. Barkley is their #1 player and they guy they'll pick if he's available. I don't think he will be, and when that happens I think they move down, stockpile picks and give Eli a much improved supporting cast to play his last year with. A developmental guy will be added later 
  • Denver - they just gave Case Keenum a two year $36,000,000 contract with $26,000,000 guaranteed. Elways knows his team is built to win now with better QB play. They have a veteran offense and defense and although they "need" a QB, the contract says Keenum is the guy they're going to build around for two years

Needs but aren't in a position to get a top QB:

• Miami - Tannehill isn't the guy and they need his replacement. 
  • Arizone - Bradford and Glennon are place holders 

The NFL is a win now league. The regime in Denver is on the hot seat and adding a QB who is going to sit on the bench doesn't help them this year. The Giants need a QB, but with a rookie coach who has a long leash, they can fill holes and build around Eli for one or two more seasons while stockpiling picks. 

Reality is that there is zero chance Beane and Gettleman haven't already spoken about draft day. 

It's foolish to thing Beane suddenly needs to call the NYG and gauge their interest.

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

They do the deal today to get certainty as to their spot. Clearly they already talked to the Giants at #2. You don't trade to 3 without doing that. It's likely the Giants are staying at 2 to take Barkley. They are all in on Eli for the next few years and want specific pieces to put around him, not just picks. 

Or they couldn't afford what the Giants want.  To say they are not willing trade is not accurate in my opinion.  Most observers would say the Jets went up as far as they could.  

Just now, Commonsense said:

Reality is that there is zero chance Beane and Gettleman haven't already spoken about draft day. 

It's foolish to thing Beane suddenly needs to call the NYG and gauge their interest.

Obviously.

I won't be surprised if a trade is already agreed to. 

If Barkley goes #1, the Bills move up. If he doesn't, the Bills have something lined up with Denver or Indy. 

The Bills aren't going into the season with McCarron as their QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

This is bang on. And the Browns know that they cant take Barkley and at 1 and get their qb at 4 with everyone trading up. Its not happening. Bills are screwed