Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

If we're going to 2 it means either Cleveland isn't taking Darnold, or they believe the Jets want Rosen.

Or Gettleman settled down and gave us a bro deal.

I think the point the Tottenham fan made earlier (jrober?) about how the Giants react if Darnold drops was a really good one. 

I suspect the Giants never wanted to draft a Quarterback this year but Gettleman knew there would be those saying "Eli is old man why didn't you draft a QB?" so he spends the offseason leaking that he only likes the one guy he will never have to take that decision on - Darnold - so he can say "hey our guy was gone." But now all of a sudden he might not be gone and now Gettleman is in a panic. He has to choose - the QB he doesn't really want or the running back he has targeted? If the QB turns out good and he took a running back over him man he looks stupid. 

But here there is an olive branch. His old buddy Brandon Beane is offering him a way out - he can take a haul of draft picks with mutliple 1st or 2nd round picks never have to take that decision and he can hide behind the oft repeated "deal was too good to turn down, this allows us to rebuild our team, multiple needs etc" if Darnold pans out he still gets criticised but at least he isn't the guy who took a freaking running back over a Franchise QB. 

I hadn't really thought of it that way until it was said earlier but I can absolutely see a logic to it happening that way. It is plausible in my opinion. 

6 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Cleveland trading the 4 pick. It will be announced once they are on the clock so there's no opportunity to trade the 4 for the 2 if it's with us. UNLESS the trade is with the Giants after they trade with us. Doubt it though

Where is that coming from? 

Just now, kdiggz said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-draft-rumor-browns-will-trade-4-pick-while-on-clock/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Heard it from multiple people. They are reporting it as a rumor for now but I've heard it's a done deal

I believe it has a qualifier that a certain player(s) is still available at that pick.

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

I have said the same thing myself. 

Is Barkley, even though he looks to be a great RB, really worth 2 or 3 pobetial 1st rounders + more (2nds, 3rds etc). 

I think they are nuts if they choose a RB over 4-5(+) top 60-90 picks, especially if their plan is to try and go for it with Eli in his last year's. 

We’re going to 2. Just have a gut feeling. I think it’ll be 12 / 22 / 53 / 56. Giants will then be sitting with 12 / 22 / 34 / 53 / 56 / 66. Easily enough to get back up to 4-6 for Chubb or Barkley and still have 22 / 34. 

We’ll be left with a relatively normal draft (2, 65, 97) and all our picks intact next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Hmm interesting. I think Chubb will be there though. 

I think they have accepted the fact that they already have 2 young top DE's and Barkley doesn't want to play there. I think they would consider Barkley anyways but I'm going to guess they don't want Chubb

2 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

We’re going to 2. Just have a gut feeling. I think it’ll be 12 / 22 / 53 / 56. Giants will then be sitting with 12 / 22 / 34 / 53 / 56 / 66. Easily enough to get back up to 4-6 for Chubb or Barkley and still have 22 / 34. 

We’ll be left with a relatively normal draft (2, 65, 97) and all our picks intact next year. 

I also think this is a very reasonable expectation. People can't underestimate the Beane/Gettleman connection. And I think it's Rosen for us at #2. 

1 minute ago, kdiggz said:

I think they have accepted the fact that they already have 2 young top DE's and Barkley doesn't want to play there. I think they would consider Barkley anyways but I'm going to guess they don't want Chubb

They'll go CB at 12 and OT at 22 (unless someone really good falls that far)

6 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I hope your gut is right and I hope it is for Darnold.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

They'll go CB at 12 and OT at 22 (unless someone really good falls that far)

Will Ward get to 12? He is in play every pick from #6 to #11 for me. Fitzpatrick likewise. After that any other corner is a gigantic reach there. I suppose at 12 you might suppose if 4 QBs have gone you are bound to have one of: Barkley, Chubb, Fitz, Nelson, Ward, Smith, Edmunds, James there. I don't actually quite have Ward ranked in that group but accept I am lower on him than most. I think there is a mini cliff after that 7 (8 if you do include Ward) to the rest of the first round. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Will Ward get to 12? He is in play every pick from #6 to #11 for me. Fitzpatrick likewise. After that any other corner is a gigantic reach there. I suppose at 12 you might suppose if 4 QBs have gone you are bound to have one of: Barkley, Chubb, Fitz, Nelson, Ward, Smith, Edmunds, James there. I don't actually quite have Ward ranked in that group but accept I am lower on him than most. I think there is a mini cliff after that 7 (8 if you do include Ward) to the rest of the first round. 

Yeah Ward. I've got the 4 QBs, Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith, and James going in the top 11. They could go OT at 12 and CB at 22 too, something like Williams/McGlinchey at 12 and Alexander/Oliver/Hughes at 22.

9 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

I don't know much about Garrett, Chubb, or ogbah other than they are really good pass rushers.

Could any of them transition to a different position ? 

(Like swap to a 3/4 and use one as an edge rush linebacker?)

Honest question btw.

I know Chubb looks like a generational pass rush talent, so maybe it's better to take him, I've heard talk he could play linebacker but I haven't looked much into it.

Just now, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Yeah Ward. I've got the 4 QBs, Chubb, Barkley, Nelson, Fitzpatrick, Edmunds, Smith, and James going in the top 11. They could go OT at 12 and CB at 22 too, something like Williams/McGlinchey at 12 and Alexander/Oliver/Hughes at 22.

Yea I think there are more options that way. Ward could get to 12 but my guess is he doesn't. I think CB at 12 OT at 22 is probably the optimum route if Ward makes it there but if he doesn't I think you go the other way round.