Anybody else getting the feeling that this was all part of Beane's plan?

CLTbills

I don't know. I just have this feeling. I have no "inside sources" or anything like that. But this just feels to me like Beane is sitting in his chair at OBD with a big grin on his face. Either they truly have no intentions of moving up from 12 and he made the Jets give away all of their draft capital, OR he already has a deal for #2 in place and didn't want to let anybody know.... Therefore the Jets STILL give up all of their draft capital, and still can't get in front of us.

I don't know. It's just that everything they've done to this point has all been 2-3 steps ahead.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So in this theory, Beane has some weird obsession with taking out the jets?

He made all these moves, obviously gave out intentions to get into the top 3, all to derail the Jets?

God I hope not... It would show some signs of great mental instability and understanding of the league, because the Jets have been awful. 

I think It comes down to who the Bills have targeted and will they be there at 2.  No reason to pull the trigger untill you are certain of the intentions of cleveland.  With the trade for Taylor maybe they go Allen and Buffalo wants Darnold.  It is hard to tell.  Maybe they want Rosen but think in the end Cleveland will take him.  If you are going to pay the price to move up you better be sure your guy will be there.  Trading to 3 ensures nothing.  

I sincerely hope you are correct.  Beane is playing a dangerous game with the fans by making it look by all accounts that he wanted to acquire resources to move up to the top for a QB but really wanted to sit back and BPA.  It might be the right move, but it's definitely dangerous to lead everyone to believe they were going to get a new QB and instead take a linebacker and corner.

6 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

I sincerely hope you are correct.  Beane is playing a dangerous game with the fans by making it look by all accounts that he wanted to acquire resources to move up to the top for a QB but really wanted to sit back and BPA.  It might be the right move, but it's definitely dangerous to lead everyone to believe they were going to get a new QB and instead take a linebacker and corner.

Yes the 'greatest fans in the NFL' always have torches and pitchforks for an instant mob.

12 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

So in this theory, Beane has some weird obsession with taking out the jets?

He made all these moves, obviously gave out intentions to get into the top 3, all to derail the Jets?

God I hope not... It would show some signs of great mental instability and understanding of the league, because the Jets have been awful. 

Not necessarily to derail the Jets, but any team that wanted to jump up there to grab our guy. If we can still get our guy and make them give up a bunch for nothing.

Yeah, you're always going to see FIRE SO AND SO every time someone else does anything.

That stuff is usually pretty dumb, but you definitely bring that upon yourself if you try to fool people a bit, especially when it comes to quarterbacks.  I would assume they are smart enough to realize this though, so we shall see what happens.

Yes, his plan was to have a division rival have a crack at a potentially franchise changing player while we prioritize signing guys off of multiple knee tears and PED suspensions having not played in a year. In the mean time, Vinny Curry is available, who played well LAST YEAR in a similar scheme and would probably have come cheaper.

Who is laughing? 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Watching Beane's presser yesterday it sounds like he would be content staying at 12 if he can get a player he wants. The Jets paid a pretty steep price to move to 3 so trading off half your draft pics and maybe one next year might be too much to pay for a QB. Getting a slightly lower tier QB plus a half dozen good players for other positions my prove to be a better decision. I don't see Beane pulling a Mike Ditka and trading the whole slate of pics for 1 player.

Everything that Beane has done has been cool and calculated.  If you listened to his comments yesterday, he even has guys at One Bills Drive holding him in check, so that he doesn't make a move that will be more costly in the end.  There is no reason to panic just because the Jets moved up.  Many on this board have preconceived notions of who the best QB in this draft is.  Quite frankly, none of us knows for sure.  And right now...neither does Beane.  If he comes to the conclusion that there is only one guy...I think he will make a most serious attempt to insure the Bills get that guy.  But...he will need to be damn sure before he mortgages the future.  He's using his head...not his emotions to make his decisions.  If you react the way many on this board react, you end up grabbing a Blaine Gabbert or a Christian Ponder...christening them your franchise QB just because they were the top rated QBs that year.  (Heck...you can throw in EJ Manual into that mix.)  There are a number of good QBs in this draft and each is flawed in some way.  After workouts and visits to One Bills Drive, the Bills will decide on who their guy is...and will do their best to get him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1