Anybody else getting the feeling that this was all part of Beane's plan?

CLTbills

I have thought about that possibility. One where Beane really did force a team to move up for Allen. However, that is entirely too risky cause a team like Denver or even Miami could look to trade up to #2 overall.

Beane did say they wouldn't move on from Tyrod unless they had a plan in place...

21 hours ago, Juice_32 said:

I just doubt the Colts made the move without Beane having a chance to beat the offer. 

He didnt match it and he has to have a good reason for it. Let's see how it shakes out.

I agree.  Those seem close to (and probably) the facts.

10 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Beane's job isn't predicated on hope. He needs to gauge the QB draft market correctly and position the team for long term sustained success by acquiring a franchise QB. 

Yet trading away five or six non QB high picks for a shot at that 1 QB kid pans out is the very definition of hope.  It's hope of the "put it all on red 12" at the roulette wheel.  Screw gambling - play the game smart and slow and know when to stay pat.

Edited by sleeby

5 minutes ago, sleeby said:

Yet trading away five or six non QB high picks for a shot at that 1 QB kid pans out is the very definition of hope.  It's hope of the "put it all on red 12" at the roulette wheel.  Screw gambling - play the game smart and slow and know when to stay pat.

..just take the one that comes with a warranty, money back guarantee and refundable draft picks if he busts....problem solved....oh wait....

6 minutes ago, sleeby said:

No. It's the definition of confidence in your scouting staff to identify a player who can fill the all important void at QB that is the key to sustained winning in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, sleeby said:

You aren't going to get a franchise QB without a risk, even if you tank for #1, you might not get the#1 pick, and that year no QB might be great even if you do.

You can't sit on your hands for decades.

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No. It's the definition of confidence in your scouting staff to identify a player who can fill the all important void at QB that is the key to sustained winning in the NFL. 

Agreed.

22 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don't know. I just have this feeling. I have no "inside sources" or anything like that. But this just feels to me like Beane is sitting in his chair at OBD with a big grin on his face. Either they truly have no intentions of moving up from 12 and he made the Jets give away all of their draft capital, OR he already has a deal for #2 in place and didn't want to let anybody know.... Therefore the Jets STILL give up all of their draft capital, and still can't get in front of us.

I don't know. It's just that everything they've done to this point has all been 2-3 steps ahead.

I'm guessing they were poking around but didn’t want to trade 5 potential good to great rookie deal players to roll the dice on 1 potential upgrade. 

23 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I don't know. I just have this feeling. I have no "inside sources" or anything like that. But this just feels to me like Beane is sitting in his chair at OBD with a big grin on his face. Either they truly have no intentions of moving up from 12 and he made the Jets give away all of their draft capital, OR he already has a deal for #2 in place and didn't want to let anybody know.... Therefore the Jets STILL give up all of their draft capital, and still can't get in front of us.

I don't know. It's just that everything they've done to this point has all been 2-3 steps ahead.

If True he is the Hannibal Lecter of GM's. I got a feeling instead that we got the high hard one.

If i had a master plan, this would be it:

when i traded Tyrod to the Browns, I wouldve already had an agreement with them to trade for the #1 pick. Let every team below me maneuver and trade picks before the draft thinking theyre going to get their guy, but i already have an agreement in place with the Browns to wait until draft day to trade up to 1. 

We send them both our #1 picks this year; both our 2nd round picks this year; and our 1st round pick next year to move up from 12 to 1 overall. Draft Rosen. 

The Browns get a starting caliber QB in Tyrod and 3 first round picks overall + 2 second round picks. The Bills get back the #1 overall pick and the 3rd round pick for TT. 

Edited by bobobonators

If his intentions were to get the Jets to trade up and lose valuable draft capital than he is a genius. If Cleveland takes Darnold and the Giants take Mayfield and leave the Jets with the 3rd QB I laugh my ass off. If the Jets traded up to 3 and take Lamar Jackson I will fall onto the floor laughing in convulsions.