The Jets Just Made a Mistake

Without reading this entire thread, I would say there’s a reason teams trade up during the draft is to ENSURE they guy they want is there.

This could work out great for the Jets - or not.  We shall see!

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Whatever happens I don't think we'll know until draft day. That's what really surprises me about this trade, that it happened today. Why would the Jets show their hand like that?

I could see a scenario where we already have a deal in place to get Foles, and we like a QB that will be available at 22. That leaves pick 12 for a player that will immediately contribute. Not saying that's exactly what will happen but I am sure Beane already has a contingency plan in mind.

I think because the Jets are also desperate for a franchise QB and have been it talks with Cleveland and the Giants and have a good idea what those two teams are going to do. Indy has Luck......

It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if QB goes 1, 2, 3 in this draft. It would certainly be a first but so was UMBC as a 16 beating a 1 last night.

I really hope the Bills aren’t on the outside looking in at the end of April.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

7 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Yeah, because you don’t come off as a know it all. Save me with your cute little phrases, Oldie.

...IGNORE is a beautiful thing...use it.....I know I'll never be able to live up to your high horse in that rarified air.......see ya sonny...........no harm...no foul here.....

Just now, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...IGNORE is a beautiful thing...use it.....I know I'll never be able to live up to your high horse in that rarified air.......see ya sonny...........no harm...no foul here.....

None at all old friend.

2 hours ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Just a word if you will allow me.

The Jets just traded into the 3rd spot of the first round. I feel grim about that just like everyone because it makes it look like we might get shut out from having our choice.

I think the only person truly happy about it is AJ McCarron, who is probably still dancing as I speak.

But it was a mistake. This was never going to be easy and it is more like a gunfight than anything else. Somebody is going to live and somebody is going to die.

Beane will keep his cool, because Beane will know that the Jets just locked themselves in to taking whoever is left at 3.

So the Jets have played their cards too soon which leaves  Beane with a small advantage. Beane still has the option to trade up if the guy he wants is there at 2. 

The Jets just made it so we can get ahead of them. We don't have to worry about them any more if you look at it that way.

You get 15 minutes I think it is in round one to wheel and deal. If the Bills see somebody they want bad enough they can probably trade ahead of the Jets and get who they want. While the Jets are pretty much locked in.

The whole thing is dicey but we just got a small advantage here.

I don't believe they will, but if the Browns take Barkey #1, this Jets move could result in the Buffalo Bills getting first pick of all the quarterbacks. They can get whoever they want.

This is exactly my take on the situation as well. That first pick by Cleveland is what will determine if Beane even try’s to move up to 2 or not. They  probably have already had discussions since they know each other well! A J shouldn’t dance just yet.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Looper said:

No mistake at all ... Jets will get Mayfield @ #3. Darnold to CLE, Rosen to NYG and then Mayfield. Allen to the Broncos @ 5 and the Bills will take Jackson. 

Rosen wants to go to the Giants. 

https://www.bigblueview.com/2018/3/16/17128840/nfl-draft-josh-rosen-gives-giants-a-shout-out-after-his-pro-day-workout

If they end up with Jackson they should have just kept Tyrod, same QB.

Run Jackson Run

I hope they pass on the running QB and draft a pocket passer in Rudolph

Boy i don't think it is a mistake, though I did at first....now they can just say to the Giants....if anyone calls you to get #2, call us, we'll give you something decent to move back only one spot AND guarantee they won't take whomever the Giants want.

Basically the Jets can rooster block us very easily from #3. Sure they have to give up even more but if they think anyone might leapfrog them to their guy, why wouldn't they?

(If Giants go QB I'm all wrong but I am banking on them taking Saquon in this scenario)

Edited by Golden*Wheels
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....we're good Jeff...ALWAYS held you in THE highest esteem......good guy...good poster.....and with a wealth of football knowledge...:thumbsup:

Thanks bud. I still do feel the same way about the QB position though. We need one. I am fearful we will be on the outside looking in at the end of April. The guys I really like, in order, are Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold. I’m not a sold on much else and I was sure Beane would be picking in the top 3.We still may but I now have my doubts.

I was on the QB in ‘18 train as soon as they made the deal at last years draft.

2 minutes ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Boy i don't think it is a mistake, though I did at first....now they can just say to the Giants....if anyone calls you to get #2, call us, we'll give you something decent to move back only one spot AND guarantee they won't take whomever the Giants want.

Basically the Jets can rooster block us very easily from #3. Sure they have to give up even more but if they think anyone might leapfrog them to their guy, why wouldn't they?

(If Giants go QB I'm all wrong but I am banking on them taking Saquon in this scenario)

Good point. It wouldn’t even become a bidding war unless Beane gives up a boatload of picks. That’s all that might entice the Giants to give up that spot. Our only shot it seems is if the Browns take Saquon #1. Removing who imo the Giants really want.

2 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'm sure the Jets completely disagree with you and are fine with being third and would be completely fine with having any of those three. Why else would they have made the trade?

Because it was the only move they had left - they have to say well we like all 3 and now we will get one for sure, but I still think the safest play is day of the draft for the Giants pick - I think they want Barkley - I don’t think they want a QB - new HC and GM with a veteran QB - they want to make a run.

I think the Jets know/feel they are getting the 2nd QB off the board.  If Cleveland goes QB - Giants probably go Barkley without a trade and NYJs get number 2 QB.

The Only issue is if 2 QBs go - then they just gave up a bunch for the 3rd best QB and that is a much lower chance of working out.

I commend them for moving, but without the draft playing out yet - it was to early to risk it with the roster they have and the coaching staff on life support.

4 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Thanks bud. I still do feel the same way about the QB position though. We need one. I am fearful we will be on the outside looking in at the end of April. The guys I really like, in order, are Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold. I’m not a sold on much else and I was sure Beane would be picking in the top 3.We still may but I now have my doubts.

I was on the QB in ‘18 train as soon as they made the deal at last years draft.

...my passion for the position is the same my good friend....OBD has woefully effed it up since Kelly with TE spot a close second,,,,,at te hsame time, the draft was, is and forever will remain a crapshhot...I'm thnking McBeane know his targets(s) and moves to the next one at 12 if the first intended is gone....

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my passion for the position is the same my good friend....OBD has woefully effed it up since Kelly with TE spot a close second,,,,,at te hsame time, the draft was, is and forever will remain a crapshhot...I'm thnking McBeane know his targets(s) and moves to the next one at 12 if the first intended is gone....

The kicker is the fact that I want to see Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold in a Bills uni. Anything less is simply a disappointment. Allen or Jackson would feel more like the OBD you mentioned. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm telling you right now, anyone who thinks yesterday was lip service from Beane...

I think Beane saw an opportunity to shed salary and move up in the draft with Glenn.

There is a very strong possibility that move didn't entail him automatically moving up as was assumed.

Now the Jets moving up means the Giants can literally ask for anything and I sincerely doubt Beane gives up the cost.

To me that will depend on Beans conviction of Josh Rosen.....if he truly feels that he is a franchise guy he will pay the price

The Jets gave up a good amount to trade up to pick 3 but in the context of trading up for a QB they didn't give up much. The pick they got from Seattle was found money from the Richardson trade, their 2nd round (a high second rounder) and next years 2nd rounder is a steep cost but one you are more than willing to pay if it means landing your franchise QB. Compare that to the RGIII and Goff trades and it is a bargain. 

• Like (+1) 1