The Jets Just Made a Mistake

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They didnt have gusto to do it now what would change on draft night?  Buffalo knows what it would take and that is why they made that trade with the Bengals.  Beane is too calculated to trade to 3 this far out from the draft.  The top organizations are not going to grade the top 5 Qbs similar.  They are not all going to be great pros.  The NFL has 13 good QBs. This draft isnt going to produce 5.  Figure out which one you like best and get him if you think he is a Franchise Qb.  Maybe 3 was the only option I dont think that is case.  Gettleman wants a kings ransom that Buffalo can pay.  1 is the qb they want going to be their? 2 Is that Qb worth the price tag.  Without knowing 1 or 2 I dont understand why you trade that far up.  

Good points, but Beane may be under more pressure than we think. Since the Colts chose trading back with the Jets, like many others have said, the Giants will more than likely force any team to mortgage a ton of picks. Can't really say I'd be happy with settling for second best when the opportunity was there to grab a top rated talent. Then again, maybe we don't even go with QB at all now

2 minutes ago, QCity said:

Mistake? I doubt many here would be calling it a mistake if we moved up to #3. They sure did an incredible job of screwing us over for a mistake. 

Here's the triple whammy:

1) They eliminated a trade partner in the top 5

2) Set a ridiculous price for #2, if it's even available

3) Are bringing a top prospect at QB into the division

With Mahomes in KC, and now likely a top QB prospect in NY, this could look really bad for Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Assuming that the Bills improve their W/L record next year, a coveted QB pick would likely not be available to them in '19. The time to go all in, is NOW

QB class looks lousy for 2019 (as of now).

What a joke.

As of yesterday, the Jets had missed out on landing Kirk Cousins.  They didn't even get Case Keenum or Sam Bradford.  They had settled for a 1-year deal with Teddy Bridgewater, who was ridiculously overrated even before he totally destroyed his knee.  For the draft, they were on the outside looking in.  Behind Cleveland.  Behind the Broncos.  And most likely behind the Bills whenever a trade went through.

Now they are in position to potentially land the franchise quarterback they have been missing.  I can't understand how ANYONE in Buffalo could be happy about that.  If they hit on a guy, they are in the prime position to take New England's place in the AFC East whenever Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire.  Meanwhile, we will get stuck (once again) stockpiling talent all over the roster, only to watch our passing game keep us from actually accomplishing anything.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The haul won’t matter, if McCarron’s ceiling is that of a backup QB. The Bills have tired the winning with a mediocre QB method for almost two decades now. It doesn’t work. 

I agree the insanity has to stop, but it's not worth ANY cost to do it this year IMO. We made the playoffs last year with a 31st ranked passing attack.

1 minute ago, QCity said:

Mistake? I doubt many here would be calling it a mistake if we moved up to #3. They sure did an incredible job of screwing us over for a mistake. 

Here's the triple whammy:

1) They eliminated a trade partner in the top 5

2) Set a ridiculous price for #2, if it's even available

3) Are bringing a top prospect at QB into the division

OK. But let me review a couple facts that I  have in mind.

Of all the QB rankings there are, ESPN, Mayock, Sports Illustrated, even Blesto the NFL scouting service, Not one of those people works for an NFL team.

The Bills very likely have the QBs rated differently. We can't know what that is right now.

2nd, teams make mistakes every year. And QBs slip down who should not have, pretty often.

Not getting a QB at #2 or #3 might look terrible to us, but it might not look like that to McBeane.

And as another poster said, if the Bills wanted that 3rd spot, we would have it. We have more ammo.

So Beane didn't get bushwacked here. At least he think he knows what he is doing.

19 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Another possibility: As Day One of the draft begins, the Jets themselves may be open to a trade for a king's ransom of picks.

Help me understand how this works.

They overpaid to move up 3 picks in hopes of a other team over paying more?  

39 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

The #3 is worth 2200 a 600 point difference from #6.  37(530), 49(410) and for the sake of guessing let’s say middle 2nd next year 420. Are you telling me they paid over 1300 points for 600 point difference to move 3 spots? 

Holy Snikees! What will it take to get 2? What will Gettleman ask for and will Beane pay it? Bust out the KY guys, I can see him asking for 12, 22 and next years first and a second rounder.

Generally I believe a future draft pick is discounted by at least one round - making the a middle third considerably less valuable.

And I think overall the further away from the first round the less reliable the value chart is. But yeah, right off the top that was a heavy, heavy price to pay. 

57 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm telling you right now, anyone who thinks yesterday was lip service from Beane...

I think Beane saw an opportunity to shed salary and move up in the draft with Glenn.

There is a very strong possibility that move didn't entail him automatically moving up as was assumed.

Now the Jets moving up means the Giants can literally ask for anything and I sincerely doubt Beane gives up the cost.

Right, it wasn't an automatic move up.

But it sure was an automatic attempt to move up.

This hurt us.

I politely disagree with Meanie. This vastly restricted our options and raised the price - a lot, probably - for making a move. And it put the Giants in the catbird seat. They're likely to be able to run an auction for several teams which might want to move up and get ahead of the Jets.

And the Jets could even turn around now and trade up with the Giants. The #3 pick would make a very tempting bit of trade bait for the Giants, who could collect some extra picks while still getting the guy they wanted at #2 but a pick later.

Edited by Thurman#1

Just now, Thurman#1 said:

Right, it wasn't an automatic move up.

But it sure was an automatic attempt to move up.

This hurt us.

I politely disagree with Meanie. This vastly restricted our options and raised the price - a lot - for making a move.

This^ It hurts a lot, no sense in pretending it doesn’t. 

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

What a joke.

As of yesterday, the Jets had missed out on landing Kirk Cousins.  They didn't even get Case Keenum or Sam Bradford.  They had settled for a 1-year deal with Teddy Bridgewater, who was ridiculously overrated even before he totally destroyed his knee.  For the draft, they were on the outside looking in.  Behind Cleveland.  Behind the Broncos.  And most likely behind the Bills whenever a trade went through.

Now they are in position to potentially land the franchise quarterback they have been missing.  I can't understand how ANYONE in Buffalo could be happy about that.  If they hit on a guy, they are in the prime position to take New England's place in the AFC East whenever Tom Brady and Bill Belichick retire.  Meanwhile, we will get stuck (once again) stockpiling talent all over the roster, only to watch our passing game keep us from actually accomplishing anything.

We never stockpiled talent. Not recently at least. We always spent as we went. Or borrowed from the piggy bank. Like kids.

Trade next years first for JP Losman. Then not have a first rounder when Rodgers fell into the 20s.

Oh we need a QB, just go to the QB shelf and get EJ with a  first round pick because he was the best one available at that moment.

We need a #1 receiver this year, trade 2 first round picks to move up a few slots to get one.

Its always right now with this team. We want it right now. Tomorrow never comes. That is why we have no Qb because they behaved like children. Not because we didn't get one right now.