The Jets Just Made a Mistake

2 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’m sick and damned tired of not having a stud QB. Beane better do whatever the hell it takes to get to #1 or 2. The Bills will never be great until they are great at QB.

.take the guy that comes with a warranty, money back guarantee and return of your draft pick if he busts......simple.....

6 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

So how did the Jets make a mistake? That was the point that I thought was being made. What did I miss?

You make that move imo if you see a guy that will lead your franchise for years to come.  By moving to 3 their is a possibility that he is drafted 1 or 2.  Now a team knows and has 6 weeks to prepare for what it will take to get in front of you.  You make that move the eve of the draft or during the draft I think the odds of getting the Qb you want increases 50%.  This was a move that the owner wants one  of the top Qbs and at 6 they would miss out.  I just feel you shouldnt make that kind of commitment and trade unless you are 100% solid on the guy you are getting.  Right now their is no way telling what guy you will get.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't think this is bad for the Jets. They have 3 really high grades on QBs and just guaranteed themselves a shot at drafting one of them. 

As for how it affects the Bills, I don't think it's the end of the world. I think the Browns are going to take Barkley #1 overall because they'll know that they can still draft one of the top 3 QBs. 

One of the top QBs could still theoretically be available when the 5th pick comes up and we already know Indy is looking to move down. We could target one of those picks and get one of the QBs without having to move into the top 2. 

Just now, Mat68 said:

You make that move imo if you see a guy that will lead your franchise for years to come.  By moving to 3 their is a possibility that he is drafted 1 or 2.  Now a team knows and has 6 weeks to prepare for what it will take to get in front of you.  You make that move the eve of the draft or during the draft I think the odds of getting the Qb you want increases 50%.  This was a move that the owner wants one the top Qbs and at 6 they would miss out.  I just feel you shouldnt make that kind of commitment and trade unless you are 100% solid on the guy you are getting.  Right now their is no way telling what guy you will get.

This is under the assumption that there is no way in hell the Giants or Browns would be opposed to trading with the NYJ to pick three. The fact of the matter is, the Jets have a golden key and 3 doors. We have a silver key and 12 doors. 

We are both looking for the same thing. We do not have the advantage. 

2 minutes ago, peterpan said:

When I first heard this my thought was this.....the Jets are dumb and will be happy with the scraps of either Darnold or Allen.  No way Rosen gets past #2.  No way. 

Then I realized there is another option......the jets will pair the #3 pick with more trade bait to simply swap with the Giants.  If the Giants don't have a chance at Rosen, or don;t want him, then they can swap with the Jets and still get whatever non-QB player they want. 

The giants are not trading with the Jets so they can watch them play with the qb they gave them for the next 15 years .  If the Giants trade it will be with someone else 

3 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Because QB is the most important position in sports, and some of us believe that Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen are leaps and bounds above Jackson and Allen. Anything less gives us Losman, Manuel flashbacks. 

This is true, but I want someone who wants to play here. Rosen is giving shoutouts to the Giants, not the Bills. Mayfield is a big city Jets type personality (Broadway Baker) and Darnold has already stated he would love to lead the Browns. That leaves Allen and I see him with the Broncos backing up Case for a few years. 

Two QB's I like are Darnold and Rosen-- and it's easy to see them going 1, 2. I've felt all along that the Bills need to get up that far to be certain they'd get one. Trouble is, there is only one potential trade partner now-- a team that may want one of them. The Jets may have played their hand early, but they will get one of the top three on their board. The Bills may get shut out, unless they make a major reach for Jackson at 12-- a mistake, I think.

Not exactly feeling great today.

2 minutes ago, Looper said:

This is true, but I want someone who wants to play here. Rosen is giving shoutouts to the Giants, not the Bills. Mayfield is a big city Jets type personality (Broadway Baker) and Darnold has already stated he would love to lead the Browns. That leaves Allen and I see him with the Broncos backing up Case for a few years. 

I agree, but we can’t choose guys based on who wants to be here imo. We’d be picking from

the bottom of the barrel regularly. They’ll all be fine with it once they arrive. Kelly didn’t want to come here in the beginning either. 

Just now, Elite Poster said:

This is under the assumption that there is no way in hell the Giants or Browns would be opposed to trading with the NYJ to pick three. The fact of the matter is, the Jets have a golden key and 3 doors. We have a silver key and 12 doors. 

We are both looking for the same thing. We do not have the advantage. 

They didnt have gusto to do it now what would change on draft night?  Buffalo knows what it would take and that is why they made that trade with the Bengals.  Beane is too calculated to trade to 3 this far out from the draft.  The top organizations are not going to grade the top 5 Qbs similar.  They are not all going to be great pros.  The NFL has 13 good QBs. This draft isnt going to produce 5.  Figure out which one you like best and get him if you think he is a Franchise Qb.  Maybe 3 was the only option I dont think that is case.  Gettleman wants a kings ransom that Buffalo can pay.  1 is the qb they want going to be their? 2 Is that Qb worth the price tag.  Without knowing 1 or 2 I dont understand why you trade that far up.  

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I agree, but we can’t choose guys based on who wants to be here imo. We’d be picking from

the bottom of the barrel regularly. They’ll all be fine with it once they arrive. Kelly didn’t want to come here in the beginning either. 

The Giants need a QB as well as Eli is 37 and in "decline" as some say. Assuming Rosen sits for a year or maybe even 2 would be a perfect transition as well. 

Rosen telling the Giants he would love to play for them might influence their decision to trade down with the Bills. 

QB aside. Can you imagine the haul from this draft talent wise by keeping the picks? Perhaps they view McCarron as a push for Tyrod overall. Stud MLB, WR, 2nd round center, RT... the possibilities are endless... Even if we suck next year, who is looking to come out in 2019 QB wise? I'm just not panicking any longer...

Edited by SmokinES3
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SmokinES3 said:

QB aside. Can you imagine the haul from this draft talent wise by keeping the picks? Perhaps they view McCarron as a push for Tyrod overall. Stud MLB, WR, 2nd round center, RT... the possibilities are endless... Even if we suck next year, who is looking to come out in 2019 QB wise? I'm just not panicking any longer...

2019 qbs are TRASH

6 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

They didnt have gusto to do it now what would change on draft night?  Buffalo knows what it would take and that is why they made that trade with the Bengals.  Beane is too calculated to trade to 3 this far out from the draft.  The top organizations are not going to grade the top 5 Qbs similar.  They are not all going to be great pros.  The NFL has 13 good QBs. This draft isnt going to produce 5.  Figure out which one you like best and get him if you think he is a Franchise Qb.  Maybe 3 was the only option I dont think that is case.  Gettleman wants a kings ransom that Buffalo can pay.  1 is the qb they want going to be their? 2 Is that Qb worth the price tag.  Without knowing 1 or 2 I dont understand why you trade that far up.  

We don't know. 

NFL GMs probably do.

I'll go out on a limb and say the Jets definitely tried to move higher than 3rd overall, and it was probably made pretty clear that #1 and #2 aren't available or the cost of acquiring either pick didn't make sense. 

The Browns are going to take Barkley #1 overall (I think they view him as the best player in the draft and will be happy with whatever QB is there with the 4th pick), and the Giants are going to auction off the 2nd pick when the time comes. Maybe someone makes the trade, and maybe they don't. My guess is that when it's all said and done, someone offers the Giants a king's ransom and they move down 3-10 spots and draft an impact player. 

The Eagles moved up a few years ago without knowing if they'd get Wentz or Goff. The Jets just did the same thing IMO. They have 2 guys rated really similarly and they'll be happy with either one. 

Edited by jrober38

Mistake? I doubt many here would be calling it a mistake if we moved up to #3. They sure did an incredible job of screwing us over for a mistake. 

Here's the triple whammy:

1) They eliminated a trade partner in the top 5

2) Set a ridiculous price for #2, if it's even available

3) Are bringing a top prospect at QB into the division

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SmokinES3 said:

The haul won’t matter, if McCarron’s ceiling is that of a backup QB. The Bills have tired the winning with a mediocre QB method for almost two decades now. It doesn’t work.