The Jets Just Made a Mistake

7 minutes ago, Elite Poster said:

Yeah, huge mistake. 

If this QB hits. 20 years of Brady, then however many years of this guy. 

Yep, AJ McCarron though, guys!

I think you are missing the point that nothing is stopping another team that has a Qb in mind wont just make a trade to 2.  Buffalo has the firepower to do it.  They could be targeting the same guy and now Buffalo know if they want him they have to go to 2 for him.  If the jets waited they could have snuck in and possibly got him at 3 if the Giants were too expensive for Buffalo taste.  now there is no surprise the Jets are taking a Qb.  If the browns dont take the one they like they know the giants is the only way.  

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I had a thought. What if the Jets are playing 4d chess?

Think about it.. that team has more holes than a dollar store umbrella. 

They just signed 2 solid quarterbacks in McCown and Bridgewater. 

What if they took the third pick...but have it open to trades to acquire more picks in the first round? 

There are no “poker faces” when it comes to needing a franchise QB. It’s just something that you have to attempt to find.  GM’s get fired for not finding a QB who wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

Whatever happens I don't think we'll know until draft day. That's what really surprises me about this trade, that it happened today. Why would the Jets show their hand like that?

I could see a scenario where we already have a deal in place to get Foles, and we like a QB that will be available at 22. That leaves pick 12 for a player that will immediately contribute. Not saying that's exactly what will happen but I am sure Beane already has a contingency plan in mind.

3 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

So do the Jets. They could trade up with that #3 pick with Giants or even Browns. Personally I hope they go full Ditka and trade all of the picks plus picks from next year to trade up.

The jets would have to cripple themselves to move up any further. If the Giants are in win now mode 12-22 56 and 65 would be the ticket plus a high pick in 2019.  The Jets cant compete with that offer.  

Just now, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

Tyrod, Watkins, Glenn, Darby just to name a few. I thought the point of that capital would be to draft the QB of their choice . 

They got other players they wanted and extra picks.     Fortunately I think our GM plays chess while you struggle at checkers.  Maybe you should try tic tac toe but take my advice and let other player go first.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Whatever happens I don't think we'll know until draft day. That's what really surprises me about this trade, that it happened today. Why would the Jets show their hand like that?

I could see a scenario where we already have a deal in place to get Foles, and we like a QB that will be available at 22. That leaves pick 12 for a player that will immediately contribute. Not saying that's exactly what will happen but I am sure Beane already has a contingency plan in mind.

I wouldn’t like that idea, but it seems possible. With that said, they would have had to keep it secret from McCarron. He wouldn’t have signed here if Foles were a possibility. 

1 minute ago, Looper said:

Why would the Bills move up to #2 to take a guy that would rather be somewhere else ? Take Jackson at #12 and use the other picks to fill holes.

Take Jackson or Allen and Beane will be looking for new employment in three years. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5
  • Like (+1) 1

IMHO ... The Bills will want to trade up to #2 ... they will inquire ... they will wheel and deal .... BUT

Beane & McDermott will NOT change their philosophy, they will not let the Giants bend them over a table. If the Giants ask more than the Bills feel the trade up is worth, the Bills will walk away. You never know ... the Giants may offer a good deal, the QB that the Bills like could fall below pick #3 and a trade up will be addressed again ... or ... the Bills take BPA at #12 and wait for a QB whose value matches our draft spot.

As much as I WANT our top graded QB this draft, sometimes it's just not in the cards ... it will be fun to see what the Bills do between now and pick #12.

25 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I think Beane saw an opportunity to shed salary and move up in the draft with Glenn.

There is a very strong possibility that move didn't entail him automatically moving up as was assumed.

That's the real reason everyone is disappointed. Everyone assumed the Glenn trade was the start of a big trade up for a QB, so now that it didn't happen it's disappointing. But that was always just speculation. We've been trying to trade Glenn since last season. We found a good deal and took it. It didn't mean anything else beyond that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I think you are missing the point that nothing is stopping another team that has a Qb in mind wont just make a trade to 2.  Buffalo has the firepower to do it.  They could be targeting the same guy and now Buffalo know if they want him they have to go to 2 for him.  If the jets waited they could have snuck in and possibly got him at 3 if the Giants were too expensive for Buffalo taste.  now there is no surprise the Jets are taking a Qb.  If the browns dont take the one they like they know the giants is the only way.  

So how did the Jets make a mistake? That was the point that I thought was being made. What did I miss?

1 minute ago, Looper said:

Why would the Bills move up to #2 to take a guy that would rather be somewhere else ? Take Jackson at #12 and use the other picks to fill holes.

This.  The chance we move to 2 - or that the giants want to - are slim.  

Lets build a team team with the picks we have in a deep draft.

26 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

How come you think  that? Gettleman said he would entertain offers.

I think they were always going to bend us over for #2 overall. I don't think that has changed. But if we are sure this is the guy we want sitting there, paying a lot isn't wrong.

100% on board with your thinking.

1 minute ago, Success said:

This.  The chance we move to 2 - or that the giants want to - are slim.  

Lets build a team team with the picks we have in a deep draft.

Because QB is the most important position in sports, and some of us believe that Darnold, Mayfield, and Rosen are leaps and bounds above Jackson and Allen. Anything less gives us Losman, Manuel flashbacks. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

I’m sick and damned tired of not having a stud QB. Beane better do whatever the hell it takes to get to #1 or 2. The Bills will never be great until they are great at QB.

Edited by Binghamton Beast

When I first heard this my thought was this.....the Jets are dumb and will be happy with the scraps of either Darnold or Allen.  No way Rosen gets past #2.  No way. 

Then I realized there is another option......the jets will pair the #3 pick with more trade bait to simply swap with the Giants.  If the Giants don't have a chance at Rosen, or don;t want him, then they can swap with the Jets and still get whatever non-QB player they want.