Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

13 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

And he's going to have to hope that this QB they pick works out.  If not he's a goner.  These are the types of moves that either keep GMs around or get them out of the door.

The panic is real for them....they flinched IMO. We have the ability to one up them and I think that might be what Beane was counting on. At  least I hope that what it is, because I don't want us to be stupid with this position and be scared of being aggressive...

15 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

And he's going to have to hope that this QB they pick works out.  If not he's a goner.  These are the types of moves that either keep GMs around or get them out of the door.

He should have been fired for taking Hackenberg in the 2nd and then hiding him in the basement for 3 years since 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

From what I've been able to gather, it actually sounds to me like Maccagnan's job already depended on getting one of the top 4 QBs this year anyway. I guess he sold Woody Johnson over a year ago on going all in and doing whatever it took to get one of the top 4 QBs in this draft class. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/17/new-york-jets-trade-indianapolis-colts-third-pick-sam-darnold-josh-rosen-baker-mayfield-josh-allen

Here’s what’s clear: This offseason was always going to be about finding the quarterback for the Jets. Period.

With that backdrop, the team’s brass was taking no chances. Plan A, back in May and June, was to be in position to pluck from a ballyhooed group of college quarterbacks, and owner Woody Johnson made it clear, before leaving for his ambassadorship in the summer, that he was all-in on the idea.

Additionally, my understanding is that the team is comfortable with the top four quarterbacks in this year’s class—Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield and Allen.

Dont get a top 4 QB this year? Fired.

Miss on your QB pick this year? Fired.

So he really had nothing to lose. It's likely that the only way he keeps his job is to hit big on a QB this year. He could probably care less if he significantly overpaid to do it. 

Which, if that's the case, it makes him a hard man to out-big in a trade up. 

A GM who knows he's in danger of losing his job is probably much more willing to do something reckless than a GM who is comfortable in his job security. 

• Like (+1) 1

We might have to accept being sad that we didn't draft one of the players we wanted. Just as we were sad that the Colts fluked Andrew Luck, and when the Steelers drafted Roethlisberger and every other time the guy you wanted was snatched away. 

The bottom line is that the Buffalo Bills aren't entitled to draft anyone. We aren't entitled to have the second pick or the third pick or the first pick. Other teams exist, and they all want the good players too. 

For now, we are entitled to pick 12th. If we can talk someone else into dealing with us, cool. But, we are not entitled to draft one of the top prospects, unfortunately. 

I didn't read all 44 pages so forgive me if this was already covered, but what was the motivation for the Colts to take the Jets deal now if Bills truly wanted the pick #3 as well?  Beane could've got to pick 7 or 8 in the next 6 weeks before the draft if Indy's hang up was dropping down that far.  The price only would've went up if you had 2 teams who wanted the pick.  

Edited by BuffaloRebound

3 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I didn't read all 44 pages so forgive me if this was already covered, but what was the motivation for the Colts to take the Jets deal now if Bills truly wanted the pick #3 as well?  Beane could've got to pick 7 or 8 in the next 6 weeks before the draft if Indy's hang up was dropping down that far.  The price only would've went up if you had 2 teams who wanted the pick.  

The Jets overpaid and the Colts had to take the deal. No reason to wait. They are still in postition to draft Chubb and they have a bunch of extra picks now. 

Plus if Allen or Rosen drop to six, they could still drop to 12 and rob the Bills as well. 

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

As yesterday showed, the Bills might not have the assets to make it happen. Not having a top ten pick doomed any realistic chance of them getting the Colts spot at 3. 

We have Shady...Giants want a RB for Eli...gitter done! #whateverittakes

On 3/17/2018 at 10:53 AM, oldmanfan said:

Just stop.  The Bills have ammunition to move to 2 if they want

The Jets had pick 6 and gave up that 2 seconds that are higher than ours and next years second. The Giants Pick 2 now is worth way more than that and all Buffalo has is a 12th. So just to get to that 6th pick first Buffalo would have to give up their 12th and 53rd. So now they have 6th pick and can see of Giants want to play. We only have 1 2nd pick. So Buffalo would have to give up #6, 22, 56, 65 and next years 1st. No Thank you!

15 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

The Jets overpaid and the Colts had to take the deal. No reason to wait. They are still in postition to draft Chubb and they have a bunch of extra picks now. 

Plus if Allen or Rosen drop to six, they could still drop to 12 and rob the Bills as well. 

But what's changing between now and the draft?  The Jets weren't gonna pull their offer.  Beane has the draft assets to outbid the Jets.    If the only hangup was Indy not wanting to drop too far down, Beane could've got to pick 7 or 8 in the next few weeks.  Only reason I can see for Colts to take Jets offer now is that Beane said he's never offering anything close to Jets offer. 

2 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

But what's changing between now and the draft?  The Jets weren't gonna pull their offer.  Beane has the draft assets to outbid the Jets.    If the only hangup was Indy not wanting to drop too far down, Beane could've got to pick 7 or 8 in the next few weeks.  Only reason I can see for Colts to take Jets offer now is that Beane said he's never offering anything close to Jets offer. 

Beane would have to spend the capital to get to 7 or 8 ( if even possible) PLUS pay the cost to get to the Colts spot at 3. He'd have to go even beyond what the Jets were offering because he's still not as high as 6. That sequence of events wasn't going to happen. 

6 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Context matters, which is why people are stuck on Losman and EJ.  Just like Browns fans are stuck on Quinn / Manziel / Weeden / Kizer etc it's what we've experienced.  

It's entirely possible McCarron, Peterman, Mike White, some other random guy pop and become a franchise QB.  But we haven't taken a shot on a guy who is viewed as a blue chip prospect for 35 years.  That's my frustration.

You will be more frustrated if Buffalo calls the Giants gives up 12, 22, next years 1st, 53 and 65. That would be the cost minimum because we are at 12. Cleveland will take one of the 2 QB's Buffalo is interested in leaving my guess Darnold (small hands are a killer). Where does that leave us, more than likely no middle linebacker worth anything, most likely McCarron or Peterman win the job this year anyway. We gave our 1st next year so losing would do nothing for us. We are not moving up in this draft anymore. Beane would be fired if his QB he picked doesn't start and win year 1. Don't tell me this fan base wouldn't turn on Beane if it became obvious that the 1st pick QB that Buffalo gave up everything for might be the 3rd best on the roster. Just not worth it!

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

The panic is real for them....they flinched IMO. We have the ability to one up them and I think that might be what Beane was counting on. At  least I hope that what it is, because I don't want us to be stupid with this position and be scared of being aggressive...

Stupid is as stupid does. So you want to follow what the Jets do in this draft, ONE UP them with the 12th pick, hmmmmm. 

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

They took the offer while it was on the table because multiple teams were bidding, and they wanted certainty of their spot. But there' s something else at play here. The action on QBs at the top of the draft will be hot and heavy. The Colts know this. Ballard said he didn't want to move out of the top ten. They probably dont. But once they used the Bills as leverage to obtain what they wanted from the Jets, they took it. Why? I t definitely gives them the option to trade down again, and garner even more draft loot from the Bills. Ballard has already alluded to this , saying he might move down again if the price was right. He doesn't get to do that if he moves down to the Bills pick the first time. This way, he could fleece picks out of BOTH teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They took the offer while it was on the table because multiple teams were bidding, and they wanted certainty of their spot. But there' s something else at play here. The action on QBs at the top of the draft will be hot and heavy. The Colts know this. Ballard said he didn't want to move out of the top ten. They probably dont. But once they used the Bills as leverage to obtain what they wanted from the Jets, they took it. Why? I t definitely gives them the option to trade down again, and garner even more draft loot from the Bills. Ballard has already alluded to this , saying he might move down again if the price was right. He doesn't get to do that if he moves down to the Bills pick the first time. This way, he could fleece picks out of BOTH teams. 

Indy wanted a DE, offer them 12, 53, 2nd 3rd rounder (96?) and Lawson. Bills then still sitting OK with 6th, 22, 56 and 65. Bills land at 6th either Baker or Allen who slip and get Evans at 22. I could also see them getting Smith LB at 6 and going Jackson or Rudolph at 22. That leaves WR at 56 or 65 and O-lineman.

1 hour ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Stupid is as stupid does. So you want to follow what the Jets do in this draft, ONE UP them with the 12th pick, hmmmmm. 

We kicked the can to this and next year's crop is even bleaker. If you kicked the can here, you go for it otherwise you are no better or different than the previous regimes who fill holes in the draft instead of aggressively fixing the QB issue as you planned a year ago...

34 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

We kicked the can to this and next year's crop is even bleaker. If you kicked the can here, you go for it otherwise you are no better or different than the previous regimes who fill holes in the draft instead of aggressively fixing the QB issue as you planned a year ago...

Is that really fair to say? 

This is Beane & his front office/personnel/scouting staff's very first draft with the Bills.

After a single draft, Can we really say that he is no better or different than the previous regime who were not aggressive in finding a QB in at least 4 years (and really the entire time Whaley was here starting in 2010)? 

Do you think most GM's are able to land their franchise QB in their very first draft with a new team? 

Another thought - how many GMs trade away the farm for a QB in their very first draft with a team?  seems like a huge gamble to make very shortly into his tenure as a first time GM. 

Look, I want a franchise QB as much as everyone else here, I guarantee it. But I'm not going to write Beane off if he doesn't trade away his entire draft in year 1 of a rebuild, and his very first ever draft as a GM.