Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

2 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

This really sucks but when you consider all our draft capital shouldn't we still be able to trade up to 1 or 2?

And we could always throw is next year's 1st if we really needed to...

This would be somewhat acceptable if either of the two conditions existed (a) An Andrew Luck-type prospect was in this draft or (b) The Bills were only a QB away from taking the next step; somewhat.  Unfortunately, neither of the conditions exist for the Bills at this moment in time.  Forfeiting the premier picks of this and next years draft plus throw in "Shady" as another poster above cited, seems like the play of a desperate, panicked, and dim personnel. 

In effect, we would have a developing QB with no cast around him.  Does that typically workout?

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, billykay said:

3 - 2nds for their guy. Doesn't seem like a heck of a lot to me.

3 2nds to move up 3 picks is a huge price. Based on the draft value charts out there it was a monster price. It is not good for the Bills because the market is set at a ridiculous price. 

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

3 2nds to move up 3 picks is a huge price. Based on the draft value charts out there it was a monster price. It is not good for the Bills because the market is set at a ridiculous price. 

I agree. It makes me wonder at what price the torch and pitchfork crowd would NOT be pissed off at Beane about this. Or is it simply blind rage that the Jets moved up at all, regardless of of the particulars?

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If the Browns take Darnold 1st overall, I would be tempted to do what it takes to get Rosen at #2, just to force the Jets into drafting Allen. We would set ourselves up for 2 free wins a season for years to come.

Edited by HappyDays

Got the news as we were heading out to St Patrick's Day parade, and did my best to not let it ruin the day. But now that I'm sobered up, I'm pretty devastated. Late to the party here, but need to get this out, if for no other reason than to make myself feel better.

**** !@#$ MOTHER !@#$ER B word !@#$ !@#$!

If we cant pull off a trade to #2, then all of the moves made since last Draft's trade-down were all for nothing.

If the draft goes:

1. Cleveland -QB

2. Giants - QB

3. Jets - QB

5. Broncos - QB

And we're still sitting at #12, settling for QB leftovers, I dont know how I'll handle that. I dont think I can stand watching the Jets get a Franchise QB and move into the drivers seat of the Division as Brady sundowns. Especially with a QB that should have been ours. I cant take another 15 years of that. I cant even take 3 more years of that.

The pressure is on Beane now to get to #2. We have the assets to make it happen. The future of the franchise is at stake.

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Got the news as we were heading out to St Patrick's Day parade, and did my best to not let it ruin the day. But now that I'm sobered up, I'm pretty devastated. Late to the party here, but need to get this out, if for no other reason than to make myself feel better.

**** !@#$ MOTHER !@#$ER B word !@#$ !@#$!

If we cant pull off a trade to #2, then all of the moves made since last Draft's trade-down were all for nothing.

If the draft goes:

1. Cleveland -QB

2. Giants - QB

3. Jets - QB

5. Broncos - QB

And we're still sitting at #12, settling for QB leftovers, I dont know how I'll handle that. I dont think I can stand watching the Jets get a Franchise QB and move into the drivers seat of the Division as Brady sundowns. Especially with a QB that should have been ours. I cant take another 15 years of that. I cant even take 3 more years of that.

The pressure is on Beane now to get to #2. We have the assets to make it happen. The future of the franchise is at stake.

As yesterday showed, the Bills might not have the assets to make it happen. Not having a top ten pick doomed any realistic chance of them getting the Colts spot at 3. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, terrytate said:

No they can't.  Browns will draft their qb at 1 , and giants will draft their new franchise qb at 2.  If you honestly believe Barkley will go anywhere with the first two picks you are getting your hopes up.  And lets say one of those teams wants barkley, why trade with the bills  at 12 that takes you out of the barkley sweepstakes.  Denver could move up from 5-4 easily, and the browns still get barkley.

If that is truly the case, maybe just forget about a big trade up then. 

The 4th QB off the board just isn't worth selling the farm for, unless the Browns are very reasonable in their request, or one of the Bills top 2 QBs falls to 4.

But Trading up just to get their #4 ranked QB wouldn't really seem worth it to me, especially if the price was too high.

I would guess the difference in the ranking between the Bills #4 and #5 QBs on their board wouldn't be worth giving up multiple picks for. 

If they see a huge huge difference between their 4th and 5th ranked QBs, then do it. If not, then there's probably not much reason. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, terrytate said:

Foles threw an interception.  Brady just had the greatest super bowl qb performance ever and still lost which is crazy.   The Rodgers draft was weird, everyone knew that he was either going number 1 or he was going to slide.  But regardless , yes you can find qb's outside the top of the draft.  And the bills clearly have been successful with that strategy.....

but maybe beane isnt an idiot like his many predecessors

9 hours ago, Klaista2k said:

That was the same mentality we had in 2004 when we ended up with Losman.

We need to be aggressive or we'll never be a true contender. 

Not exactly. You could end up with Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins or a number of other QBs who didn’t go top 3. Why in the world people are locked into this Losman example from 14 years ago when everything is different today from FO, coaches, ownership, surrounding personnel, and most of all the QB prospects themselves makes very little sense to me. Context matters.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not exactly. You could end up with Derek Carr, Jimmy G, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins or a number of other QBs who didn’t go top 3. Why in the world people are locked into this Losman example from 14 years ago when everything is different today from FO, coaches, ownership, surrounding personnel, and most of all the QB prospects themselves makes very little sense to me. Context matters.

Context matters, which is why people are stuck on Losman and EJ.  Just like Browns fans are stuck on Quinn / Manziel / Weeden / Kizer etc it's what we've experienced.  

It's entirely possible McCarron, Peterman, Mike White, some other random guy pop and become a franchise QB.  But we haven't taken a shot on a guy who is viewed as a blue chip prospect for 35 years.  That's my frustration.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Context matters, which is why people are stuck on Losman and EJ.  Just like Browns fans are stuck on Quinn / Manziel / Weeden / Kizer etc it's what we've experienced.  

It's entirely possible McCarron, Peterman, Mike White, some other random guy pop and become a franchise QB.  But we haven't taken a shot on a guy who is viewed as a blue chip prospect for 35 years.  That's my frustration.

However, if looked at in context the Bills haven't passed up an opportunity to draft a blue chip prospect . They haven't really had a shot at one. The closest they've come to this would probably be their failed move up bid ( cancelled thru no fault of their own) with HOU to take Roethlisberger. Other than that , I can't think of one that realistically was attainable from their draft position( post Kelly. ) Drew Brees ? Probably not thought of as a blue chipper- he was taken in round two. They were only a few picks away from say, Newton or Luck. The Panthers and Colts were never going to trade out of those spots, so the Bills may as well have been picking last. Was Flacco thought of as a top prospect? Maybe I'm forgetting someone. Look, I hate the long standing QB problem as much as anyone. I just don't know if the Bills were ever in the right position to take a blue chip QB with their own pick. Or even close enough to move up. A mere 6 spots was too much to overcome getting beaten out by the Jets yesterday. It's just not that easy. It takes some good luck as well. 

12 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Complain all you want.  None of have all the information the pro teams have and none of us are pro scouts.  And even they get it wrong with QBs in round 1 about half the time

We all come here to share opinions.  Great.  But it is arrogant to think you know better than guys who have done this for years.  It would be like Beane walking into my office and telling me he knows how to run a lab better than me because he saw a you tube video about it

Everyone can have opinions you dont have to be a scout to see which QB you would rather have on your team. Even scouts get it wrong so their validation isn't the end all be all either.  You cant show me anywhere that says Allen is the #1 prospect. While theres arguments to be made with Rosen Darnold and Mayfield as #1.