Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

Also, Russell Westbrook was drafted below Derrick Rose. Russell Wilson was drafted in the 3rd round, 75th pick.  Joe Montana was drafted in 3rd round, 82nd pick. So chill. No need to be in the top 10. Stand our ground. Don't panic. If Lamar Jackson is still there for us at 12, take him and be happy. We need DBs, WRs, LB, RB, and another pass rusher to get.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Finally, the presser certainly seemed "all at once". From this perspective, it's not unnatural to think that Beane might have asked his Colts counterpart for just a day to get ahead of the trade announcement, in order to save face.

Genuine question.  Help me with the bold part.  Save face from what?  Overpaying and unloading our future (in draft picks) for a high risk QB?  There is absolutely no QB in this draft worth both our firsts, seconds, thirds, and "other picks", as some people here are speculating.  I think people fail to recall the Ditka trade and the Minn/Dallas trade (with Herschel Walker) and how that worked out for the teams who gave up a whole lot premier picks. 

I get the fact we have not aggressively pursued QB's in past drafts but I cannot recall the last time we accumulated 6 of the top 100 picks.   When Beane was doing so, it never occurred to me he was positioning for a big trade up, I though to myself finally a GM who understands drafting in bulk and getting top tier talent across the board.

I could kind of see people's point if QB was the only position we need, but from our HC himself, he openly admits we need a lot of talent across a lot of positions, not a single player or single position.

Beane did not lose face by the Jets / Colts deal......none whatsoever.  The Colts had a draft position ceiling, and realize their targeted player will likely be there at 6 as he would have been at 3.  The Jets GM will need to save face.  He. got. fleeced.

Edited by IndyMark
typo

9 minutes ago, sven233 said:

That's the point, though. Just because fans are not in the front office doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. There are many of us that watch a ton of college football, break down the film and have just as much of an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a prospect that he teams themselves do.

Do any of us know for sure who will be good and who won't? No. But neither do the teams. But we are smart enough to know what prospects may give us the best chance in getting it right and you are much likelier to hit on one if you get a top prospect rather than a 2nd tier guy. Can the 2nd tier guys sometimes turn out? Sure. But we haven't had a QB here in 20 years mainly because we never put ourselves in position to have a chance to get a top prospect. We had that chance this year and if we don't come away with a top prospect, then it's been failure in my opinion.

Most of the time the fans do NOT know what they are talking about.  If they did then they would be working in the business.

2 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Gross.      So a lot of you are talking yourselves into Lamar Jackson is a good option now??‍♂️? 

Wooooof, get me back to Baker, Rosen land 

giphy.gif

Nope. That's not gonna happen. We don't have enough to trade for number 2. I don't think we have enough to trade for Cleveland's number 4. Get used to Lamar Jackson. We'll be fine. No matter who we choose at 12, we have a better team than Colts, Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos. We're kickin' their asses.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Genuine question.  Help me with the bold part.  Save face from what?  Overpaying and unloading our future (in draft picks) for a high risk QB?  There is absolutely no QB in this draft worth both our firsts, seconds, thirds, and "other picks", as some people here are speculating.  I think people fail to recall the Ditka trade and the Minn/Dallas trade (with Herschel Walker) and how that worked out for the teams who gave up a whole lot premier picks. 

I get the fact we have not aggressively pursued QB's in past drafts but I cannot recall the last time we accumulated 6 of the top 100 picks.   When Beane was doing so, it never occurred to me he was positioning for a big trade up, I though to myself finally a GM who understands drafting in bulk and getting top tier talent across the board.

I could kind of see people's point if QB was the only position we need, but from our HC himself, he openly admits we need a lot of talent across a lot of positions, not a single player or single position.

Beane did not lose face by the Jets / Colts deal......none whatsoever.  The Colts had a draft position ceiling, and realize their targeted player will likely be there at 6 as he would have been at 3.  The Jets GM will need to save face.  He. got. fleeced.

Agreed - almost straight down the line.

Perhaps the point I was meaning to get to ... was that Beane needed to "get out in front of this train". Whether or not the Colts facilitated it I suppose is some guesswork on my part. I just find it pretty odd the timing, right? One day Beane is in front of the NFL saying he wasn't necessarily moving up, then the next day practically the Colts are announcing the trade.

If the Colts were working on that trade on Monday and Tuesday, it was put to bed by Wednesday. There are two teams he's really talking to and its Denver and the Jets; we get a call just to make sure Beane isn't going to pull a Ditka. 

9 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Not true

True.  Mainly because you don't get to interview the player, talk to their coaches and opposing coaches, etc, etc

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

giphy.gif

Nope. That's not gonna happen. We don't have enough to trade for number 2. I don't think we have enough to trade for Cleveland's number 4. Get used to Lamar Jackson. We'll be fine. No matter who we choose at 12, we have a better team than Colts, Browns, Giants, Jets, and Broncos. We're kickin' their asses.

We have enough to get to 1 if we want.  Depends how many picks now and into the future you want to give up

1 hour ago, Nitro said:

Colts wanted more than the Bills would offer.  

Colts wanted more than what the Bills were able to offer them... a top ten ( almost top 5) pick. They couldn't offer what they don't have in their posession. This type of thing was always a possibility. A QB needy team with a higher pick than them got a deal done to move up. They have a few other options ; some pundits feel the NYG simply won't trade with the Jets. If true, it's not lost on the Bills, so trying for pick 3 made sense for Buffalo if trying to move in front of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Well that's disappointing.

And looks like I'm right...YET AGAIN. Whoever the guy was that said 4QB weren't going in the top ten...own up.

Uh Joe - the Jets were already picking in the top 10.  Whether they trade for #3 or pick at #6, they’re still just picking 1 QB.

So are the Browns.

It’s possible (though from draft history unlikely) that 4 QB will be drafted in the top 10, but I’m not sure this changes the odds.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Uh Joe - the Jets were already picking in the top 10.  Whether they trade for #3 or pick at #6, they’re still just picking 1 QB.

So are the Browns.

It’s possible (though from draft history unlikely) that 4 QB will be drafted in the top 10, but I’m not sure this changes the odds.

Browns jets giants broncos take it to the bank

16 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

True.  Mainly because you don't get to interview the player, talk to their coaches and opposing coaches, etc, etc

We have enough to get to 1 if we want.  Depends how many picks now and into the future you want to give up

No we don't. This is just your opinion, right? According to the draft picks value chart, we have zero chance to trade for number one pick. If I was Beane, I would not do it. Beane himself cannot do it anyway if he wanted. Get your Lamar Jackson jerseys ready. Beane and company have been hyping up L. Jackson anyway.

http://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2018/03/lamar_jackson_steals_show_at_nfl_combine_meets_with_buffalo_bills.html

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/03/2018-nfl-scouting-combine-buffalo-bills-lamar-jackson/

http://billswire.usatoday.com/2018/03/16/buffalo-bills-brandon-beane-2018-nfl-draft/

Edited by Buffalo Ballin

Just now, joesixpack said:

Browns jets giants broncos take it to the bank

I’ll belly up for my helping of crow if needed but I don’t think the Giants are going to draft a QB at #2 and I don’t think 4 QB go in the top 10

It is possible they will trade with someone who will, but I think it is equally possible (depending upon what the Browns do) that they draft elsewhere.

The Jets are pretty clearly throwing down the gauntlet to the Browns “draft a QB at #4 and you’re picking at best the 2nd QB off the board.

3 hours ago, akm0404 said:

Wait, are you offering a wager that two or fewer quarterbacks will be selected in the top 10?

I am willing to wager up to 500$ on this, pending selection of suitable escrow.

If you both send your $500 to me I will act as escrow and definitely not spend it on cocaine. PM for mailing address.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

The Jets in no way overpaid.  They spent a bunch of lottery ticket picks to get the franchise QB they need AND block their division rival from getting the franchise QB it needed...

Beane has one chance to fix this.  One.

You honestly have no clue.  Sorry to be so blunt but you don't.  What the Jets did is got the third pick.  And that does not guarantee they get the QB they want because there are two spots above them.

Beane is in great position right now.  He sees a guy he has to have he knows by moving up to 1 or 2 he gets him over the Jets.  And he can make that move on draft day to lock out anyone else, or do it now if he wants.  Or he could cut a deal between 4-10 if he has several guys he feels the same about.  Or stay put.

The Jets blinked, and now if a team like the Bills jump over them they an rib them if their guy.  They blinked.  Buffalo didn't.

Beane knows what he's doing.  

• Thank you (+1) 1