Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

20 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This is getting comical ...  The Jets blinked.  The Bills didn't.

What is comical is that the Jets blinked for the third time, in less than a week, at the same position.

They didn't sign Kirk Cousins - holding their offer at $30 when another $1 or $2MM probably gets it done. OK, maybe he signs for a winner but at least he was considering them. 

They then sign $15MM worth of backups, instead of just spending some reasonable money on a guy that's led his team to the playoffs, then

They overspend to move up 3 spots to get the QB they should have handled the first time, or could have handled the second time ...

but now have basically stripped away any possibility of rebuilding internally.

I keep saying it and Buffalo fans have no comparison. The NYJ haven't been to Super Bowl since Joe Namath strictly because they have a culture of being stupid. They've never, ever been right in moving up into the top ten to make a pick. 

If you fear that McBeane was outmaneuvered by those clowncar occupants then take yourself out to the corner and shoot yourself. You are an idiot. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The only thing I can knock him for is not having a rocket for an arm. He still ahs a pro arm and can sling it down the field. He has size, poise in the pocket, intelligence, the clutch factor, accuracy, and he doesn't get rattled against blitzes. With a guy as big as him, you could probably teach him to improve his power another 30% with mechanics. I think Mayfield is the clear #1 with Rudloph/Rosen being the tossup. Rosen more pro ready, but Rudolph having Size and intangibles that Rosen doesn't.

I really like Rosen, but the injury that scares me the most is concussions and I believe he had TWO just last year? Hmmmmm

1 minute ago, Fetou said:

I think the Bills will need to trade up from 22 if they want to get both Jackson and a top LB prospect.

I think this is true - you can't rely on Jackson getting past Arizona, Baltimore and San Diego. There's very little likelihood the best linebackers fall to 22 either.

Thankfully it wouldn't take a lot to move up from 22. 

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

We have the 12 pick. Lamar Jackson might drop to 12.

I think he will definitely make it to 12. I guess now that you mention it it wouldn't be the biggest surprise ever if someone took him higher than that. 

29 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

I think we will have to offer next years 1st, which I would be ok with, but I don’t think McBeane would

This where I’m at  , and I’m sure most would agree , if Beane truly believes ( let’s say for example Rosen is that guy that could be our franchise QB for the next decade ) and by trading to #2 we can get him , and prevent Jets from getting him as well , then F@$@ DO IT Already ,,  

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Some of you folks are funnier than anything 

Now that you see that it's going to cost assets to get a QB, all of a sudden QB isn't worth spending assets on

You'd rather hope that a 5th round pick and another team's backup that nobody else wanted as a starter will pan out

How's that path gone for the last 20 years?

I swear some people convinced themselves Beane would be able to trade backup linebackers and guards and "draft day" his way all the way up to #2.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo Ballin said:

We have the 12 pick. Lamar Jackson might drop to 12.

Relax everyone.  We don't need to move up to 2 (or even 4) to get a QB.  Despite the rush to judgment, no one (and I mean no one) knows whether Darnold or Rosen will be better than Mayfield, Jackson or Allen.  Last year the two best QB prospects dropped out of the top 9.  In a deeper, more talented class, there's no reason to think there won't be very good prospects available at 12 or within striking distance of there--Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson all could be available after pick 9.  Frankly, I think all four of them are better than Darnold, but that seems to be a minority opinion.    

6 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Whatever it takes for Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

This, in a nutshell, is a flawed approach, IMO. Every amateur armchair GM on this board has their favorite or favorites and thinks that if the Bills don't agree, don't take said player, or fail to pull off a trade for said player then they don't know what they're doing. Odds are that two or all three of these QBs are more likely not to be franchise QBs than all three of them hitting. Posters get so wrapped up in their own convictions on a player(s) that they can't allow for the possibility that they just could be wrong. I like all three of those QBs and I agree that they will probably be good players but the truth is that I honestly don't know...and neither do you or anyone else. The Bills' brain trust is paid to figure out these things and have the time and resources available to them  to make the best decision that we as fans do not. The chess match has begun and the Bills end game will be critical. Here's to hoping that they get it right...whether that means trading up or staying put. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I swear some people convinced themselves Beane would be able to trade backup linebackers and guards and "draft day" his way all the way up to #2.

And a lot of us thought it would take something roughly in line with the Eagles trade or the draft value charts. Now it is as clear as day that the picks are valued significantly above Goff/Wentz. That is new information.

10 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Whatever, kid. Seems like you aren't interested in examples that don't prove your point of view. Best of luck to you with that.

"Whatever kid"

Typical.

You are using one career great game as if it's the norm for his career.

You're the one cherry picking to try and prove a point that a QB that not one single professional evaluator thinks is a first round pick is somebody you say is the" #2 QB".

You're delusional

Just now, mannc said:

Relax everyone.  We don't need to move up to 2 (or even 4) to get a QB.  Despite the rush to judgment, no one (and I mean no one) knows whether Darnold or Rosen will be better than Mayfield, Jackson or Allen.  Last year the two best QB prospects dropped out of the top 9.  In a deeper, more talented class, there's no reason to think there won't be very good prospects available at 12 or within striking distance of there--Allen, Rudolph, Mayfield, Jackson all could be available after pick 9.  Frankly, I think all four of them are better than Darnold, but that seems to be a minority opinion.    

Actually you may have something here 

Rosen - health issues 

Darnlod - decision making 

Mayfield - might not be  McBeane type 

Allen - needs lots of work 

maybe the QB we’re looking to get is not one of those top 4/5 that everyone else is talking about , maybe it was all smoke & mirrors that made the Jets jump , 

Putting some time line things together:

The Colts GM said he was talking about this trade on Monday and Tuesday and in fact had been speaking with the Bills - although indirectly, he had discounted them because of #12.

At the least, Beane new about this trade before the presser. I'm not saying it means a lot, but it puts things into a different perspective. For one, it makes his commentary about not spending much time on draft evaluation in a different light, doesn't it? It sort of comes across as an excuse, like the dog ate my homework, don't you think?

And in knowing that the trade might be ready to be announced, it says to me that not trading down, staying put, was something that occurred after that knowledge that either the Jets or Broncos had decided to move up. 

Finally, the presser certainly seemed "all at once". From this perspective, it's not unnatural to think that Beane might have asked his Colts counterpart for just a day to get ahead of the trade announcement, in order to save face.

Some assumptions going on there, I know, and I am a bit of conspiracy sort of person. But still ... when I think about what was said, in relation to the timing of everything ...

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

better do it soon before the fish move to 2....

They just restructured Tannehill and the deal makes it much more difficult to cut him loose. They are not coming up to #2. Not in this or any other universe.

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

This, in a nutshell, is a flawed approach, IMO. Every amateur armchair GM on this board has their favorite or favorites and thinks that if the Bills don't agree, don't take said player, or fail to pull off a trade for said player then they don't know what they're doing. Odds are that two or all three of these QBs are more likely not to be franchise QBs than all three of them hitting. Posters get so wrapped up in their own convictions on a player(s) that they can't allow for the possibility that they just could be wrong. I like all three of those QBs and I agree that they will probably be good players but the truth is that I honestly don't know...and neither do you or anyone else. The Bills' brain trust is paid to figure out these things and have the time and resources available to them  to make the best decision that we as fans do not. The chess match has begun and the Bills end game will be critical. Here's to hoping that they get it right...whether that means trading up or staying put. 

That's the point, though. Just because fans are not in the front office doesn't mean they don't know what they are talking about. There are many of us that watch a ton of college football, break down the film and have just as much of an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of a prospect that he teams themselves do.

Do any of us know for sure who will be good and who won't? No. But neither do the teams. But we are smart enough to know what prospects may give us the best chance in getting it right and you are much likelier to hit on one if you get a top prospect rather than a 2nd tier guy. Can the 2nd tier guys sometimes turn out? Sure. But we haven't had a QB here in 20 years mainly because we never put ourselves in position to have a chance to get a top prospect. We had that chance this year and if we don't come away with a top prospect, then it's been failure in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, Putin said:

Actually you may have something here 

Rosen - health issues 

Darnlod - decision making 

Mayfield - might not be  McBeane type 

Allen - needs lots of work 

maybe the QB we’re looking to get is not one of those top 4/5 that everyone else is talking about , maybe it was all smoke & mirrors that made the Jets jump , 

I'm not even saying Beane doesn't want Rosen or Darnold; I'm saying sometimes it's better to stay put and see what happens.  Sometimes the teams picking higher pick the guy who busts and you get the better player by default. 

The best thing that ever happened to the Supersonics/Thunder was NOT getting the top pick in the 2007 NBA draft.  If they had, they almost certainly would have picked Greg Oden instead of Kevin Durant. 

Edited by mannc