Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

2 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Ok...... Been thinking about this situation all day and it is pretty much a disaster for us in every conceivable way. From the moment they passed on Watson and Mahomes in the draft last year, this season was about 1 thing.....getting a franchise QB. Today made that a lot more difficult. 

I hope we can get to 2, but that may be impossible at this point.

The only silver lining to the Jets trading up today that I could come up with is if it has been the Bills plan all along to trade up for Josh Allen. If the Bills had wanted to do that, and this move from the Jets stopped that from happening, then thank you Jets.  The only thing that makes me sicker than watching the Jets do what we should have already done is watching the Bills trade a ton of assets away only to draft Josh Allen. Otherwise, this is nothing but terrible for us in every way.  If we come out of this draft, with all of this ammunition and still no top franchise QB prospect, then it is a complete failure.

It's been about finding a QB for a year now (actually years now....). Get it done. Whatever it takes for Darnold, Rosen, or Mayfield.

This is getting comical.  What it means is this:  IF the Bills think there is a guy they have to have they can offer what they need to offer to get to 2.  Even 1.  And ensure they get their guy.  Going to 3 now means you might get the 3rd guy on your board.

The Jets blinked.  The Bills didn't.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, SoTier said:

The problem is that in 2004, the Bills couldn't find a dance partner among the teams in the top 10 not named San Diego or NYG.  Maybe they miscalculated the Steelers' interest in Roethlisberger (I rather doubt that) or maybe none of the other teams wanted to trade down or maybe they just didn't offer enough.  Not being privy to what went on behind the scenes, I don't know why they didn't move up higher in the first round.

I hope you realize that if they'd passed on Losman totally, they would have been infinitely better off.  They could have taken Aaron Rodgers the next year or Jay Cutler in 2006 or even Joe Flacco in 2008.  The lesson from 2004 isn't that a team shouldn't be afraid to trade up but that a team shouldn't be afraid to pass on a lesser QB prospect if they can't get the one they really want, which is 2004 was Roethlisberger.

The point that you are glossing over, is that they clearly had a QB identified LAST YEAR because we had options at our own pick. They traded back knowing that they wanted capital to target a specific QB. So yes, this is just like 2004. The guy we have identified is in danger of not being on this team, but I'm an idiot for pointing out those similarities. I would like to respectfully disagree but I guess that's not happening today. 

We just traded up a week ago and have traded players left and right amassing draft capital. It's pretty clear what they want to do. I'm concerned they will not be able to.

Also, let this consensus #1 bull **** point of yours die. That happens once every 10-15 years and doesn't mean trading up for a player that you have identified as a franchise guy is the wrong move. 

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

This is getting comical.  What it means is this:  IF the Bills think there is a guy they have to have they can offer what they need to offer to get to 2.  Even 1.  And ensure they get their guy.  Going to 3 now means you might get the 3rd guy on your board.

And if the Bills wanted a guy and the Giants decide they don't want to move? Then it is about the Jets being smart and the Bills being on the outside looking in......yet again.

Edited by sven233
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I guess all those passing tds were just a made up stat?

I think LJ offers so much more then JPL did......but your entitled to your opinion

27 TDs with a 56% completion percentage against bottom-tier D1 & D2 schools doesn't impress me at all. Sorry. he's a fantastic athlete that has 1 year of playing in anything that could resemble a pro offense. If he ever becomes good, it's going to take the kind of years the Bills don't have. Good candidate for the Packers/Saints/Panthers, etc. in the 3rd-4th round.

Edited by BullBuchanan

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No, the Jets got as high as they could. The Giants are not passing on what the Jets offered unless they either have someone in mind they think is too good to pass up, or they are stupid.

The Jets showing what they were willing to give up for the third overall, I highly doubt they couldn't acquire the second had it really been in play.

So while the Bills struggle to find a team in the top five willing to trade out of the top ten, the Jets could potentially have their choice of three QBs 

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

And if the Bills wanted a guy and the Giants decide they don't want to move? Then it is about he Jets being smart and the Bills being on the outside looking in......yet again.

You make them an offer they can't refuse.  The only way you spend a ton of draft capital is if you identify a guy you have to have.  You don't have him at 3.  You can have him at 2.  And if they think they have to have say Rosen, the more likely partner to trade with is Cleveland to get the 1.  Then you know you have your guy.  

The Jets move makes sense if you are happy with any of 3 guys.  I think the Bills either spend what they have to to make sure they get their guy, or if they are happy with any of the top 4 trade with Cleveland at 4 or stay out if they like a Jackson

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

27 TDs with a 56% completion percentage against bottom-tier D1 & D2 schools doesn't impress me at all. Sorry. he's a fantastic athlete that has 1 year of playing in anything that could resemble a pro offense. If he ever becomes good, it's going to take the kind of years the Bills don't have. Good candidate for the Packers/Saints/Panthers, etc. 

who improved every year

who put up a insane amount of TDs in a 3 year time span

Passing tds have nothing to do with the added strength to his game which is his movement skills....that is just a plus

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Watching mahomes on tape though, you can see the physical skills, the talent, and the arm

Rudolph just doesn't look good on film

My thought in Mahomes is that I've never seen a guy from Texas Tech be worth anything in the NFL

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I certainly didn’t expect anything before draft day. Why waste all that draft capital unless you know you can get your guy. Sure, maybe you’re fine with any of the top 3, but there’s still a chance we can jump them and poop on their parade (some might say “rain”, but this would be far worse than some sprinkles). You know they have them ranked in some order. 

This waiting is killing me.....

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

My thought in Mahomes is that I've never seen a guy from Texas Tech be worth anything in the NFL

Which I think is very fair.

Just comparing Rudolph to mahomes, mahomes has a much better arm and looks better on tape

9 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Watching mahomes on tape though, you can see the physical skills, the talent, and the arm

Rudolph just doesn't look good on film

Did you not watch him battle Baker Mayfield? He threw the entire team on his back and carried them against their will in a game they had no business being in.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

Did you not watch him battle Baker Mayfield? He threw the entire team on his back and carried them against their will in a game they had no business being in.

I think I like Rudolph a lot more than the average spectator, but I’m wrong a lot, so.....

Some of you folks are funnier than anything 

Now that you see that it's going to cost assets to get a QB, all of a sudden QB isn't worth spending assets on

You'd rather hope that a 5th round pick and another team's backup that nobody else wanted as a starter will pan out

How's that path gone for the last 20 years?

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I think I like Rudolph a lot more than the average spectator, but I’m wrong a lot, so.....

The only thing I can knock him for is not having a rocket for an arm. He still ahs a pro arm and can sling it down the field. He has size, poise in the pocket, intelligence, the clutch factor, accuracy, and he doesn't get rattled against blitzes. With a guy as big as him, you could probably teach him to improve his power another 30% with mechanics. I think Mayfield is the clear #1 with Rudloph/Rosen being the tossup. Rosen more pro ready, but Rudolph having Size and intangibles that Rosen doesn't.

1 minute ago, Buffalo Ballin said:

We are NOT getting the second pick. Y'all effin' crazy. We don't have enough. However, Cleveland Brown's 4th pick is still in play. Maybe.  We're not getting Rosen. Andrew Luck will not be traded either. Lamar Jackson, Welcome to the Buffalo Bills. Oh hell yeah.

e5c362d57bc561ecce7a37e21edd41c6

I think the Bills will need to trade up from 22 if they want to get both Jackson and a top LB prospect.

• Like (+1) 1