Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

Just now, oldmanfan said:

Everyone here thinks they know who the best QB is going to be.  I'lll take Beane and his scouts 

A-freaking-men!  Lotta “smarter than thou” folks out today ???

• Thank you (+1) 1

Knowing it's the Jets making this pick at #3 leads me to believe they will shoot themselves in the foot like always. There is no Andrew Luck in this year's draft and hopefully, the Jets pick Mark Sanchez number two, or Sam Bradford number two.

Even if they pick Allen or Mayfield they will screw the kid by starting him right away and thus get him killed on a bad team. Their coaching staff stinks, their roster stinks and I doubt they win more than five games in 2018.

New Jets GM, coaching staff in 2019. 

Oh, and Buffalo can have whatever QB they draft this year in a few years when they cut him.

Edited by Nihilarian

56 minutes ago, Success said:

Probably more than a dozen posts so far saying Beane should be fired now if this or that doesn’t happen.

'xactly.

Consider: out of the top six QBs (including Rudolph here), probably only 3 are NFL quality starters. More than likely, if we draft a QB in the first round he will get more starts than all the other 1st round QBs combined. No matter who you draft, the other guys are sitting behind Proven Veterans.

Yet staying in place, adding possibly two more Pro Bowl type starters to Tre and Dion, and being one year removed from the playoffs for the first time ... that's going to result in firing Beane and McDermott. Not to mention, yes, possibly getting that franchise guy at 12. Nobody knows, because the differences between all the QB prospects are widely, widely agreed to as being slight. There is no clear cut Andrew Luck out there.

Sky's falling. Better get out of the way.

12 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Ah yes, attacking my credibility. The last stand of a man who lost a discussion a long time ago. It was fun.

By the way, based on the way NFL teams fight over QBs at the top of the draft, I'm positive I  couldn't do any worse.

You are literally saying he's #2 QB.

That means you have zero credibility.

Which nobody in the NFL seems to think.

Edited by SouthNYfan
Fixed

7 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

If you move up to #1 who is it? Could be any one of 4 guys. How do you make such drastic moves ina  draft that doesn't have a clear cut #1. Eli was indisputably the top prospect. This year may have a lot of solid prospects, but not a one of them are blue-chip locks the way Peyton or Eli were.

That's for the front office of the team trading up to decide. You're not going to mortgage the farm to get to #1 unless you have  the conviction that your guy is a franchise QB for the next 10-15 years. Just because fans or pundits don't believe that there is a clear cut number one does not mean that NFL front offices feel that way. They are paid handsomely to figure that out.

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Everyone here thinks they know who the best QB is going to be.  I'lll take Beane and his scouts 

Well they don't know either. No NFL team knows, they all have their own opinions. Beane and Co surely tried to acquire the Colts pick, but lacked a high enough choice to close a deal. They'll have to shift their target spot. With probably  two QBs being off the board at three ( I think the Giants take Barkley ) the Bills may think their top choices will be gone. That will probably affect what they are willing to pay to move up any further from 12. Without the ability to know what players are off the board, this may not happen until round one is underway. 

3 minutes ago, Putin said:

I am officially depressed 

Why? There's still time for Beane to make moves... There's still a realistic chance that Beane will move to #2 and you won't be depressed anymore.

But if that DOESN'T happen, you still have an exciting season to look forward to. New OC, New QB, much better defense (in my opinion with all the new additions + 2nd year in the same system). 

2 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Ok my initial reaction is to freak out and say we are screwed and we missed out and yada yada so for that reason I'm going to take a few moments to collect myself and then return back here because reading this thread right now is giving me anxiety

Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit xanax 

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Knowing it's the Jets making this pick at #3 leads me to believe they will shoot themselves in the foot like always. There is no Andrew Luck in this year's draft and hopefully, the Jets pick Mark Sanchez number two, or Sam Bradford number two.

Even if they pick Allen or Mayfield they will screw the kid by starting him right away and thus get him killed on a bad team. Their coaching staff stinks, their roster stinks and I doubt they win more than five games in 2018.

New Jets GM, coaching staff in 2019. 

that sounds more like sour grapes than statistical projection.  who cares if they hit on their qb.  the goal is for the bills to hit on theirs.  the jets trade (smart imo) secures a top 3 qb at worst.  bills need to Decide if the franchise qb is in this draft.  if so, pay whatever it cost and if not, don't overpay and just draft bpa at the picks they have.  that simple.

Edited by jumpgo692003

20 minutes ago, HuSeYiN_NYC said:

Thanks for that. From the little that I've read about the QBs this year, I'm going with a Rosen or forget about QB way of thinking.

I think if we figure a way that makes sense to get Rosen, I'm cool with it. But if he's off the board when we pick (wherever that may be come draft day), i think we should draft a potential stud at 12 at whatever position we have need in, trade down from 22 to get a 1st rounder in next years draft and then take a shot at whatever QB is left with our 1st pick in the 2nd round just so we don't miss out on a QB that MIGHT turn out to be great in the future.

Totally agree. That's the way to go.

39 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

How do you feel about moving to 4 for whoever is left among Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield/Allen?

I only really like Rosen and Darnold and let's be real here, if we move to 4 we are talking about Baker or maybe Allen.  Do I think an undersized QB who'll require a gimmick offense, possesses character concerns and posted stats in the Big 12, or a small school QB with accuracy issues who struggled against better competition is worth selling the farm for?  No.

I'd rather just sit at 12, take Jackson if he's there, otherwise build the best team possible around McCarron.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's being reported on NFLN that Jets tried to get #1 overall from CLE. The Giants are staying put for Barkely, unless some team offers them four first rounders or something crazy like that. 

I think if the New York Football Giants are taking a RB they should trade out.  I just don't see the value in a RB at #2.  No matter how good the RB is.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

'xactly.

Consider: out of the top six QBs (including Rudolph here), probably only 3 are NFL quality starters. More than likely, if we draft a QB in the first round he will get more starts than all the other 1st round QBs combined. No matter who you draft, the other guys are sitting behind Proven Veterans.

Yet staying in place, adding possibly two more Pro Bowl type starters to Tre and Dion, and being one year removed from the playoffs for the first time ... that's going to result in firing Beane and McDermott. Not to mention, yes, possibly getting that franchise guy at 12. Nobody knows, because the differences between all the QB prospects are widely, widely agreed to as being slight. There is no clear cut Andrew Luck out there.

Sky's falling. Better get out of the way.

widely?  odd considering most i have read and heard say after the top 4, there is a gap....a large one.  some believe after top 3 (excluding allen)  the general consensus has

Rosen and Darnold...... some add Mayfield......a few add allen.  don't think Jackson or Rudolph is thought of anywhere near them.