Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

Just now, ScottLaw said:

More like he will most likely be fired in the future if he doesn't do what it takes to get his QB because we've seen this story before. 

And if his QB is Jackson?

Just stop with this firing  stuff.  They are making good moves thus far for a team that made the playoffs.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Success said:

Probably more than a dozen posts so far saying Beane should be fired now if this or that doesn’t happen.

I don't think anyone wants Beane fired at this point. I know I sure as hell don't. Alot of people were just pumped for this QB draft class with the possibility of snagging one of the top 3. 

It's just a gut check for us now as it appears much dimmer as being a possibility after all the crazy trades and moves to get were we are right now. 

Maybe they are in love with Rudolph or Jackson over my top 3? I still trust the process.

Edited by Real McCoy

Just now, oldmanfan said:

And if his QB is Jackson?

Just stop with this firing  stuff.  They are making good moves thus far for a team that made the playoffs.

ease up bro and consider the source.....although my opinion is that Jackson is not McBeane's guy..........

14 minutes ago, APoxOnYou said:

I guess we're a working class city / non winner for a reason based on the replies to this thread. Few points i'd like to make.

1) No guarantee that Allen falls to us at #12 as another team could trade up next week as we're having our long interviews.  

2) No guarantee that Jackson falls to us at #12 as another team could trade up next week as we're having our long interviews.  

3) I'll quit the fanbase if we trade one of our 1sts for Foles if we get desperate for a QB.

4) Rudolf is never going to work out.

5) Just because the jets have not been successful picking in the top 5 previously doesn't mean they wont now.

6) We should absolutely be alarmed. 

1) No guarantee that Allen falls to us at #12 as another team could trade up next week as we're having our long interviews.  

--> I don't think Allen will be available at #12.  IMO he will be gone.

2) No guarantee that Jackson falls to us at #12 as another team could trade up next week as we're having our long interviews.  

--> I think Jackson will be there at #12.  I don't want him.

3) I'll quit the fanbase if we trade one of our 1sts for Foles if we get desperate for a QB.

--> Trading #22 for Foles wouldn't be terrible.  I believe in Foles.

--> Agreed that Rudolph isn't an impactful NFL QB.

5) Just because the jets have not been successful picking in the top 5 previously doesn't mean they wont now.

--> True

--> Meh, disagree.  We new we needed to get top 3 to get our guy.  IF we have a guy?  I believe we do have a guy we think is better than the rest.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Define strong play

Just for fun, let's say a quarterback who is within the top half (let's say top 16) in the NFL.

Find me one team who was a championship contender for longer than 4 years in a row, with a quarterback (or quarterbacks) who consistently played below that level.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

More like he will most likely be fired in the future if he doesn't do what it takes to get his QB because we've seen this story before. 

Right.

Unless he comes away with a QB this year from:

-Rosen

-Allen

-Darnold

-Mayfield

He's on the hot seat if he doesn't get one of them.

Is this the end of the world that the Jets moved to #3?

No.

Does it make it that much more difficult/costly/less probable to get one of those 4 without giving up the farm?

Yes.

This isn't the end of the world, but to act like it's not a move to be concerned about is absurd.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably looking at both 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd or 4th and a 2019 1st to get it done.

Do it. 

If that's all it took, I'd do it for sure. 

But looking at what the Jets gave up - Their 1st this year, two 2nds this year and a 2nd next year. Their 1st was worth 1600 points. The Colts was worth 2200.

They gave up 2540 points in picks this year (so 340 extra points in picks this year) + whatever you value the 2nd at next year. 

The Giants pick is worth 2600. 

What you suggested -

- both 1sts (1980 points total) 

- our highest 2nd (370 points = 2350 total) 

- our highest 3rd (265 points = 2615 total)

Just looking at the Jets trade, I think it will take more points in picks this year. 

Thats why I said I thought it'd take both 1sts, both 2nds, both 3rds, since that is close to the same 400 extra points in picks the Jets gave up this year. 

I think you ar at least looking at both 1sts, both 2nds, and our highest 3rd (which would = 2955 which is about = to what the Jets gave up in picks this year) plus another pick next year. 

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

At this rate, the Colts will probably still get Chubb at 6. It's a smart play for them. They likely didn't want to drop all the way down to 12. 

1-Darnold

2-??????

3-QB

4-Barkley

5-QB

6-Chubb

The Giants pick at 2 is a huge ????? Do they go QB, do they go Barkley? But it is looking like Barkley, Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield all going top 5. Colts get a nice group of picks and still get Chubb in front of Tampa. Great work. 

Giants gonna take Nelson at 2 and get Manning's replacement in Lauletta/White in 2nd/3rd rds.

1 hour ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We’ve essentially been locked out.

It will now take the 12th, 22nd, 53, 65, 2019 1st and 3rd to get to #2

Very possible—and that’s too much to pay.

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Just for fun, let's say a quarterback who is within the top half (let's say top 16) in the NFL.

Find me one team who was a championship contender for longer than 4 years in a row, with a quarterback (or quarterbacks) who consistently played below that level.

Flacco off the top of my head

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

I don't think anyone wants Beane fired at this point. I know I sure as hell don't. Alot of people were just pumped for this QB draft class with the possibility of snagging one of the top 3. 

It's just a gut check for us now as it appears much dimmer as being a possibility after all the crazy trades and moves to get were we are right now. 

Maybe they are in love with Rudolph or Jackson over my top 3? I still trust the process.

I hear you, and agree with a lot of that.  I certainly wasn’t happy about this news, but we’re not the only team that wants one of these guys.

Gotta see how it goes from here, but I still trust...

Edited by Success
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Manther said:

--> I don't think Allen will be available at #12.  IMO he will be gone.

--> I think Jackson will be there at #12.  I don't want him.

--> Trading #22 for Foles wouldn't be terrible.  I believe in Foles.

--> Agreed that Rudolph isn't an impactful NFL QB.

--> True

--> Meh, disagree.  We new we needed to get top 3 to get our guy.  IF we have a guy?  I believe we do have a guy we think is better than the rest.

Gonna say that #3 is a pipe dream.

Foles isn't even worth first.

The eagles want a first and a third.

So yeah.

And #6 we should be alarmed.

Having a guy we think is "better than the rest" doesn't matter if he's gone before we pick.

The Jets moving to #3 impacts us, period, no way around it.

It narrowed our window to get above them, which means if we don't get to #2 there will be at least 2 QBs off the board before we pick, even if we somehow get Denver or the colts to trade down (which neither is happening)

13 minutes ago, Success said:

I wonder what Beane’s reaction was.

I like to think that he just shrugged and moved on to the next plan.

Interesting question.  I would hope he just moved to the next plan.  However, I think he was probably surprised and needs to regroup.

We should be happy about this.  A division rival just squandered a boatload of premium picks to move up a few slots to take a QB who will likely bust (given the Jests’ track record) on the heels of ponying up big bucks to sign Bridgewater and McCown and spending a second on Sackenberg in 2016.

Edited by mannc
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Manther said:

The New York Football Giants.  Eli is not good.  He is average and got hot a couple times.  I am not even messing around.  Eli is average.  When he plays average, the NYGs are average.  When he gets hot, they get hot.  I think I just validated your point........

Yes you did.

There are obviously times where average/below average QBs have walked away with a Super Bowl trophy.

But in each of those cases (Nick Foles, Joe Flacco, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Jeff Hostetler), the quarterbacks went through "hot streaks" and played especially well during the playoff run.  And in all of those cases, the success was not sustained.

• Like (+1) 1