Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

Just now, Woodman19 said:

Draft pick doesn't matter when teams fall in love with players.  If we had pick number one and had a QB rated as the next Aaron Rodgers, how many of you would trade it for an extra 1,500 draft pick value?

Exactly. Teams have a good idea who they want as top choice and will make a move that allows this. It's more about the pick at 6 that the Bills couldn't trump than anything else. 

15 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

#3 pick is valued at 2200. Jets gave up just about 2800 points in draft picks (depending on what value you assign the 2019 2nd. I valued it at roughly 200 points). 

They gave up about (roughly) 600 extra draft points (again depending on how you value that 2019 2nd) to move up 3 picks! 

Think about what it's going to take to move up form 12 to 2.

I honestly don't think it's going to happen guys. 

People do not want to think around here.  They would rather carry on like Ralph Kramden (bluster that they did not get their way).

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If the Kirk Cousins contract - and the relative success of back up QBs across the league last year - it should be that the idea of a 10-15 year starter is over. Way, way, the f over. 

Cousins signed a 3 year, fully guaranteed contract. No team, anywhere, will be able to "lock up" a QB forever. Days are gone, my friend.

You can't be serious.

Kirk Cousins was an anomaly.  Quarterbacks of his caliber never hit free agency, unless there are catastrophic injuries and Top 10 prospects waiting on the bench (like the situations involving Peyton Manning and Drew Brees).  His contract means nothing.  The salary cap will rise and teams will find ways to adjust to the market.  If you think that franchise quarterbacks are suddenly going to be hitting the free agent market in coming years, you are out of your mind

And desperate teams have ALWAYS been willing to overpay for successful backups.  Do you recall the Bills sending a 1st Rounder to the Jaguars for Rob Johnson? 

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They didn't have the ammo or the deal would be done. Jets had an almost top 5 pick to offer. This was always a good possibility. Other QB needy teams ( that are likely to be picking high next year like the Jets) have lower picks to offer that are more attractive. 

6 picks in the first three rds is 100% ammo to trade up, not even counting next year. 

Oh well, what's done is done. It's 100% out of my hands. Just a bit disappointing as I was primed to land one of the top 3 out of the class for the last year now.

Edited by Real McCoy

12 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Building a roster without a franchise QB is not a recipe for consistent success, and never has been.

Please give me an example of EVEN ONE TEAM in NFL history who was able to maintain success for longer than 4 years without strong play from the QB position.

The New York Football Giants.  Eli is not good.  He is average and got hot a couple times.  I am not even messing around.  Eli is average.  When he plays average, the NYGs are average.  When he gets hot, they get hot.  I think I just validated your point........

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I always thought it would take the Bill's 3-1sts and 3-2nd's to get in a conversation to move to #2.

Minimum.

Beane in essence got a 2nd for Glenn.

Pretty much agreed to get to #2.  Agreed Glenn got 2nd round value.

1 minute ago, Manther said:

The New York Football Giants.  Eli is not good.  He is average and got hot a couple times.  I am not even messing around.  Eli is average.  When he plays average, the NYGs are average.  When he gets hot, they get hot.  I think I just validated your point........

Could throw Flacco in there.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

All I see are folks talking about what comes next. 

I've seen few--if any--insane reactions

Probably more than a dozen posts so far saying Beane should be fired now if this or that doesn’t happen.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Not one of the prospects is any where NEAR as good as any of the veterans you are comparing them to.

But like you say, it's out of our hands and it is so, by the desires of a GM that has been widely loved here. Trust the process.

That's how I remember it, also.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Magox said:

The Colts will still get their guy in Chubb - which they probably wouldn't have if the they had traded with the Bills and they get all these other picks.   Win win for the Colts.

Exactly.  Look at last years trade for Trubisky with the 49er's.

49er's at 2 they want Solomon Thomas.

Bears at 3 want to trade up to 2 to stop someone from jumping them.

Bears have to give up a 3rd, 4th and next years 3rd to move up 1 spot.

49er's know Bears are picking a QB.

They get their guy 1 pick lower (saving on some rookie contract $'s) and those picks.

That's a smart trade for a team at #2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by ColoradoBills
their