Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

7 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

At this point it's not realistic to think a QB isn't going #2.  Either someone (Denver / Miami) will pay the price to get their for a QB, or if the Giants stay they go QB.  The pick is worth too much to use it on a non-QB.

Ya it’s true. good Points 

20 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Unbelievable. 

What's the most interesting is seeing the Jets move to #3 and not #2.  This tells me a few things.  Either:

a) The Giants pick is not for sale.

b) The Giants already have a better offer on the table

c) The Giants asking price is way too high

My hope when Beane moved us to #12 was that he already had a concrete deal in place to go up into the Top 3.  Like I said earlier in the week, sitting at #12 was not going to be high enough.  And waiting until Draft Day to make a move was just inviting other teams to jump up instead.  I've been very impressed with how Beane has manipulated our draft position up until this point.  And maybe there is something on the table that we are unaware of.  But unfortunately, there is a very good chance that he was too tentative to pull the trigger, and we just missed out big time

If it wasn't already clear that Cleveland is taking a QB, this move pretty much cements it.  They can't wait until Pick #4.  If the New York Giants are unwilling to move from #2, there is a very high probability they are also after a QB.  The Jets are obviously taking a QB.  If anyone thinks Denver is going to pass on a QB they want just because they gave Case Keenum a 2-year contract, they are totally fooling themselves.  And then you have Miami and Arizona sandwiching us.  Forget waiting for the leftovers at #12.  We could end up being FORCED to give up a king's ransom, just to get the leftovers.

Walking out of this draft without our Quarterback of the future would be the biggest failure to befall this team has seen in years.  Beane put all of his eggs into the 2018 basket.  Besides trading down in last year's draft, we also traded away several players to obtain extra picks.  Not only does next year's QB class look significantly weaker, but we won't have anywhere near the draft capital to move up.  We won't have high-priced veterans to use as bait for extra picks.  Our best hope then becomes totally bottoming out for 1-2 seasons, or relying on a mid-round project or veteran cast-off.

I hope nobody is laughing at the Jets.  A few days ago, they looked like the team who missed out on Kirk Cousins AND the team who would be forced to take the scraps off the draft pile.  Now that team is us.  If they get the right guy under center, it will totally transform that franchise.  They won't miss any of the picks they gave up to land him.

Jets folks seem to think the 2 my just don't make moves w each other... no matter what

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Thank you!! We'd have no draft capital left, I don't understand why people want to trade up for a question mark when we can load this roster with top 5 top 60 prospects and really build a consistent winner. 

Beane always stresses consistent winning and building through the draft, trading all your capital doesn't fit this vision

tumblr_ovfa21NrNb1wpx78zo2_500.gif

• Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Thank you!! We'd have no draft capital left, I don't understand why people want to trade up for a question mark when we can load this roster with 5 top 60 prospects and really build a consistent winner. 

Beane always stresses consistent winning and building through the draft, trading all your capital doesn't fit this vision

I think it has something to do w that method has been tried multiple times and you might get lucky 1 yr but w out a fqb, there won't be any staying power. Great teams have great qbs. This team has infused rosters w talent all to see it go for not...bc they came up short at the most important position. 

**edit- it's the QB... the qb is the most important position****

Edited by gobills1212
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Is it going to be worth it to go for the 5th through 8th picks if the top 3 QBs are already off the board? 

No.

And that's why a stepping stone deal up to ~7 without another deal up to 2 makes no sense.

It's one thing if we could structure something like:

Bucs get #12 / Lawson / #121

Giants get #7 / #22 / #53 / #97 / 2019 2nd

Bills get #2

But a stepping stone deal with just the hope of something else at this point is foolish.

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

What this shows is that the Bills couldn’t or wouldn’t put up for pick 3. Indy certainly shopped the pick and had to have given the Bills a chance to match, which would probably have meant 12, 22, both seconds, plus something else. Beane obviously wouldn’t do it and I doubt he’ll pay the Giants’ even higher price.

The bold is the only thing to take away. 

Your speculation that Beane wouldn't match, is just that... speculation. What if Beane never wanted to get to 3? What if his ultimate goal is 2? Why would you move to 3 before the draft anyways? This could end up making the Jets look pretty stupid. They showed their hand. They have just said they are ok grabbing the 3rd best QB in the draft. Even if the Giants don't swap with the Bills or any other team, what if the Giants select a QB?

For me, I've always said the goal should be the 2nd pick. The only way I'd be comfortable with the 3rd pick is on draft day after the Giants have selected and the Bills know they can get their guy.

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You have been hitting them out of the park today :beer:

Is Beane a franchise GM?   Is he even CAPABLE of leading us to the SB?    

If he can't land one of the chosen ones in the draft.......we at least have a new "the bottom line is" debate.:lol:

29 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This is why I started the thread wondering why people thought teams were just going to stand by helplessly as the Bills tried to climb over them.:lol:

First crisis for Beane as GM.   Intrigue.   Competition between division rivals.  Love it. :devil:

Been very easy selling the fan base on controversial moves to this point.......they've all been propped up and qualified with the notion that they are going to lead to the Bills getting their franchise QB in the draft.

But with McD having passed on Watson and Mahomes last year.........Beane is really in a must-score situation wrt drafting a top QB prospect for his HC.

I know there are a few screwballs on here who think otherwise..........there have always been a group that always want to kick the can down the road..........but the time is now.

Luckily the Giants pick is still potentially available.   That was always the big edge the Bills have had.......the Jets are most desperate for a QB and the Giants simply can't trade with their in-stadium rival.

Bills might have to climb to Tampa's pick........then climb again to #2..........but they can do it.

If they take their shot and miss..........it won't be pretty but the fanbase and ownership will be somewhat understanding and if they can withstand that and maintain some level of competitiveness they might get another kick at it in 2020.............but if they pull a Donahoe and get a guy outside of the premium group(top 4 or 5 this year).......and that kid misses and they don't WIN.........no forgiveness!  Someone else gets to draft and develop the 2020 draft QB.

This is the way it should be!   I never wanted #3 in the first place.  Earn it Bills!:thumbsup:

Right on man; this is where the GM men separate themselves from the GM boys.

The path to the QB that they want has swung WIDE open for them, if they're willing to do what it takes

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

I think it has something to do w that method has been tried multiple times and you might get lucky 1 yr but w out a fqb, there won't be any staying power. Great teams have great qbs. This team has infused rosters w talent all to see it go for not...bc they came up short at the most important position. 

I would point out again that Foles,  Keenum and Bortles were starters in the championship games.  Maybe it's an outlier, maybe it's a trend.

12 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Giants and Gettleman are our trade partners, anyway. I'd wait until draft day to execute it, though. See what the Browns do with pick #1.

You can't wait.  That gives a month for Denver to grow the stones to make a move up to #2 and the Giants to still get Nelson or Barkley.  If #2 is in play at all, you get it done now.