Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

2 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Unbelievable. 

What's the most interesting is seeing the Jets move to #3 and not #2.  This tells me a few things.  Either:

a) The Giants pick is not for sale.

b) The Giants already have a better offer on the table

c) The Giants asking price is way too high

My hope when Beane moved us to #12 was that he already had a concrete deal in place to go up into the Top 3.  Like I said earlier in the week, sitting at #12 was not going to be high enough.  And waiting until Draft Day to make a move was just inviting other teams to jump up instead.  I've been very impressed with how Beane has manipulated our draft position up until this point.  And maybe there is something on the table that we are unaware of.  But unfortunately, there is a very good chance that he was too tentative to pull the trigger, and we just missed out big time

If it wasn't already clear that Cleveland is taking a QB, this move pretty much cements it.  They can't wait until Pick #4.  If the New York Giants are unwilling to move from #2, there is a very high probability they are also after a QB.  The Jets are obviously taking a QB.  If anyone thinks Denver is going to pass on a QB they want just because they gave Case Keenum a 2-year contract, they are totally fooling themselves.  And then you have Miami and Arizona sandwiching us.  Forget waiting for the leftovers at #12.  We could end up being FORCED to give up a king's ransom, just to get the leftovers.

Walking out of this draft without our Quarterback of the future would be the biggest failure to befall this team has seen in years.  Beane put all of his eggs into the 2018 basket.  Besides trading down in last year's draft, we also traded away several players to obtain extra picks.  Not only does next year's QB class look significantly weaker, but we won't have anywhere near the draft capital to move up.  We won't have high-priced veterans to use as bait for extra picks.  Our best hope then becomes totally bottoming out for 1-2 seasons, or relying on a mid-round project or veteran cast-off.

I hope nobody is laughing at the Jets.  A few days ago, they looked like the team who missed out on Kirk Cousins AND the team who would be forced to take the scraps off the draft pile.  Now that team is us.  If they get the right guy under center, it will totally transform that franchise.  They won't miss any of the picks they gave up to land him.

IF the Jets get the right guy.  IF.  Why do so many here think there is a sure fire guy in this draft?

IF Beane thinks there is, I suspect he'll go get him.  If not and he thinks the six guys at the top are equal then he gets one where he is.

No one knows who the best guys will be yet.  Clearly none of them are like a Luck or Manning or Elway.  Quit assuming they are.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Man, it’s hard to think positive right now about this. 

I don’t see anyway we don’t end up with the 4th best QB tops right now.

I'd rather them not draft a table-scraps type QB.

If you can't get the #2 pick, forget about QB and try to fill all the other holes.

• Like (+1) 1

Throwing this out there - maybe Beane wanted this to happen to ensure that the Jets have no chance at #2, which he could possibly regard as the real prize? The best the Jets could do now would be to trade the #3 pick and next year's first rounder and this year's #72 pick, , but that'd be all they could offer because realistically they don't anything else. I do realize that the third pick is big, but the Bills have so much more ammo. I wonder if they try to package their two mid-50/ picks to move up to the mid-30s. What would be awesome is if they trade those to the colts for 37 and then use that pick to help jump ahead of the jets!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fetou said:

Something tells me if the Giants were trying to trade out of #2, the Jets would have aimed for that. I have a strong feeling that the Giants are taking a QB.

jets might have aimed for it but you have to remember these teams are in competition with each other for fans and the money they bring.  The Giants were never going to trade with the Jets  

I just don't think it's realistic to go from 12 to 2.

If the Giants have been digesting tape of Barkley / Nelson / Chubb / Fitzpatrick for the last couple months, there's no way they move down far enough to the point all of those guys are gone for sure.  If the Giants are going QB they aren't moving.

I'm also think even Lamar Jackson is gone at 12.  Miami is right before us and have been rumored on QBs, it's realistic that 4 QBs go in the top 5. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, baskingridgebillsfan said:

jets might have aimed for it but you have to remember these teams are in competition with each other for fans and the money they bring.  The Giants were never going to trade with the Jets  

Or the Giants want Barkley or Rosen and they will not trade out.

10 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

We’ve essentially been locked out.

It will now take the 12th, 22nd, 53, 65, 2019 1st and 3rd to get to #2

That's the feeling I have too.  It wouldn't shock me to find out we'd been haggling with the Colts over picks to include, we wouldn't pay the price they wanted, the Jets panicked and the Colts know they are basically get the same player at 6 they were looking at with 3.

1 hour ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Not shocked. There was going to be movement. This just shows the Bills either have a deal for 1 or 2, or they aren't as hot to trade up as reports said. Bills could have beaten that deal.

Good point.  What this shows is that the Bills couldn’t or wouldn’t put up a comparable ransom for pick 3. Indy certainly shopped the pick and had to have given the Bills a chance to match, which would probably have meant 12, 22, both seconds, plus something else. Beane obviously wouldn’t do it and I doubt he’ll pay the Giants’ even higher price.

7 minutes ago, napmaster said:

The #6 pick plus 3 #2s (and not late second round picks like the Bills have, but early ones - as I would imaging their 2nd next year will be in the 30s).

No guarantee they get their guy - they didn't move to #1.  As others have pointed out the Jets must have 3 QBs they are targeting.  They may have to settle for their 3rd guy, which makes what they gave up seem awfully high.  Time will tell.

I guess it is how you want to look at it. I look at it as a swap of 1sts, and the price to swap up is the 3- 2nds.

1 minute ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I just don't think it's realistic to go from 12 to 2.

If the Giants have been digesting tape of Barkley / Nelson / Chubb / Fitzpatrick for the last couple months, there's no way they move down far enough to the point all of those guys are gone for sure.  If the Giants are going QB they aren't moving.

I'm also think even Lamar Jackson is gone at 12.  Miami is right before us and have been rumored on QBs, it's realistic that 4 QBs go in the top 5. 

Didn't they just do something to Trannyhill's contract? I think they are a dark horse for someone like Falk or Rudolph, not Jackson.