Jets just traded with Colts for #3 pick in first round

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

If they pass on QB, barring a miracle, they will be gone

There are three guys who seem to be the clear cut better QBs of the class.... you just traded away a **** ton of talented players for draft picks FOR THIS REASON. Make it happen.

That seem to be.  You know squat, like everyone else here.

They have been scouting these guys for a long time.  If they see a guy the have to have they can make a move.  Or not.  Their decisions got them to the playoffs last year.  And you want them fired.  Just brilliant.

41 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

So, now everyone HATES Beane?

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I see TBD is on suicide watch. No surprise there. You can't literally give up ANYTHING to get to the top, there has to be a ceiling. Who knows, maybe we think Jackson or Rudolph aren't that far off as prospects from the top QBs. Beane has been saying all week he likes his picks and has a plan if we don't trade up.

Beane was a top GM when he traded Glenn to get from 21 to 12 and before that squeezing a 3rd out of Cleveland. Now he's an idiot.

TBD is getting to be just a bunch of nervous nellies. 

I would find it ironic they traded all those players and deconstructed the roster to sit tight at 12 and take what's left over at 12. 

• Like (+1) 1

An argument can certainly be made the Colts know they are going to get the same level prospect at 6 as 3 and that could have eliminated us from contention, but the Jets gave up the rough equivalent of #12 / #22 / #53 / #97 / 2019 2nd, aka a trade that would have left us still with 2 day 2 picks and down just 1 pick next year.  If that's too much for our regime to get a true franchise QB, I'm concerned.

2 minutes ago, jtrip said:

Mark my words:  Bills will move to 2nd before the draft and on draft day swap with Cleveland.  Bills get the #1 QB and Cleveland takes the RB. End of story.  Thank me later !

Have had a gut feeling we somehow end up with the 1st overall too. Could be a draft day trade from #2 to #1. The difficulty will be getting to #2 though before the draft.

1 minute ago, Elite Poster said:

See I would rather be the team that tries and fails than the team that goes on 17 year long playoff droughts and refuses to address the most important position in all of professional sports. 

Right. Well, drought's over, Beane can't answer for those past 17 years, and the draft is still six weeks away. Everyone should put away the vodka and sleeping pills. 

1 minute ago, Real McCoy said:

Would you rather have a few 2nd rd picks or a franchise QB? Why are people saying the Jets gave up to much or traded to soon? They did what they had to do to land one of the top 3.

Because THEY DID.  A 1st and 3 2nds only to move 3 spots?  That's overpaying, I don't care what it is for.  And the Colts knew it and took the deal because they are still going to get the guy they want.  They only way you can't say they didn't overpay is if you are from the future and you know what's going to happen with this QB.  But as it stands right now, the Jets got "raped."

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I see TBD is on suicide watch. No surprise there. You can't literally give up ANYTHING to get to the top, there has to be a ceiling. Who knows, maybe we think Jackson or Rudolph aren't that far off as prospects from the top QBs. Beane has been saying all week he likes his picks and has a plan if we don't trade up.

The Colts might have asked us for a much higher counter bid than what they asked the Jets for, given our 12 versus the Jets' six.  The next bid called by the Colts for us might have been another first for them to consider dropping down to 12 in light of the Jets bid.

47 minutes ago, Kmart128 said:

The Colts GM showed no patience... If they waited closer to the draft they could have received way more.

I'm not worried. They're the Jets... They'll probably take Josh Allen. But we forced the Jets to give up picks anyway. At the very least we scared them into giving up draft picks for a QB that they didn't think they would have to just a week ago.

That's kind of the thing. Given the Jets looooong history of drafting the wrong QB, whoever it is that they want, that's a red flag that we should not take him.

Just now, HappyDays said:

I could see the Jets drafting Allen. They already told McCown he'll be the starter and they have Bridgewater signed as a reserve. Could be a signal that the QB they like isn't ready to start.

I think they like Allen as well. He is similar to Hackenberg. The funny thing is they epically failed at developing Hackenberg. Bowles and McCagnnan will be fired before Allen ever plays a down. I still think we want Darnold or Rosen. 

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Can people stop acting like the Jets traded for a proven franchise QB?  The traded for the right to draft a guy with concerns where there are 3 other that are the same.

Because that is step one to solving a major problem that has hurt them as bad as us. They have a contingency plan in place with McCown and Bridge.

We have Friggin AJ and maybe a 2nd tier QB of the group in Jackson or Rudolph.

Passing on Watson and Mahomes last year was a epic failure if we can't land our #1 prospect this draft.

Edited by Real McCoy

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

Hahaha. Beane just made the Jets panic with our trade up to 12. Now they way over payed for that spot. This means a lot of QBs are coming off the board quick, meanwhile there is a lot of talent being ignored. QB isn't the only position that can make a difference.

Fail thinking is fail

Stop with the fear, anger, sadness, concern  and emotion everyone. Emotions cloud judgement. Trust the process.

Here are my two cents on Brandon Beane, his philosophy, and his views on the draft.

My opinion is based on the things he has said, in the past and more recently, his personality through my analysis, and from credible information I have seen, and from his recent experiences in his trades and free agent pick ups.

First of all, Beane seems very smart, orderly, meticulous, patient if need be, and honest. This does not mean he cannot have secrets, or change his plan, but it just means that what you see and hear about him is what you get. He is not going to let emotion cloud his judgement, act in haste, or let any one opinion be the basis for his decisions. He will scrutinize things, take numerous things into consideration, and prioritize. He will not necessarily go with the masses, as he is a leader and confident in himself and the process, but although he trusts his own judgements, he will combine those and what he believes in with the judgements and opinions of those he trusts, to form a more well informed decision.

Look how he handled the AJ McCarron situation. He was patient, trusted his philosophy and the process, did not want to over pay for others, or succumb to that hype, and he let the chips fall into line for him. The early bird does not always get the worm, but the turd as I have said before. He watched all the game tapes he said, and all his plays, made several calls to those who knew AJ closely, and he liked what he saw and heard. When  the timing was right, he knew what to say to AJ, as he knew what AJ wanted to hear, and as he speaks the truth anyway, basically saying, ‘I can promise you only one thing, that you will compete to be the guy.’ He did not promise it would lead to long term, but just that he would get that chance to play, if he were the best, but suggesting he could not promise more.

So, in my opinion, and as the highly respected executives in the nfl community would and have corroborated, Mr. Beane has all the qualities in a gm one would want, and if you combine also his self-motivated demeanor, and his desire to not rest off his laurels, but to keep driving for the team to be even better, regardless how good or great it is, and combine that with what he has said in the press and not said about his draft intentions, as he does not want to advertise everything, and as he does not know yet everything that will transpire, the below is what will likely happen in my opinion, and what has already been done.

(1) I believe Beane because of his orderly, honest and prioritizing ways, and from what he has said, likely had indeed decided to put most of his priorities first in the free agent market, as he said, and as he knew that was the most urgent, then, to pick up players that could fill a role on our team, and as he knows we cannot draft enough good players to fill all those holes. He thus focused on positions of need first, through free agency and trades, and did not want to obsess about the draft until now, nor gobble up popular free agent quarterback guys at high cost, as he knew we would likely draft a QB relatively high, in round one, and did not want to commit long term to another player at that position.

(2) In the meantime, Beane and staff had preliminary shorter meetings with the top quarterback draft prospects, among others, and got some additional information about them from looking at some game tapes and talking to some others. This basic information was needed to at least get a general idea of what could happen in the draft, regarding a possible move up or down, or with general preliminary expectation to keep the draft picks at 21 and 22. 

(3) Once Beane and company likely saw some preliminary intrigue and interest in one or more of the top rated quarterbacks, he decided to move up some, by getting rid of one or more players that he thought was no longer of prime need on the team, thinking he could do better. Moving up to a reasonable position would give a good chance that one of the quarterbacks or linebackers they were preliminarily moderate to high on, etc would be available at now pick 12, and it would free up some cap room space worries, too.

(4) Now that free agency is almost done in their eyes, as Beane said, the attention can be to scrutinize those nfl draft prospects of moderate to high interest more, through in-depth personal interviews and workouts with them, and getting more detailed information from more sources about them, as players could be labeled as one way, but come across totally a different way. Sometimes one has to sift through the truth, and make their own judgements on character, but at other times accept that past red flags in the past or shown in other environments could mean more of the same in the future. 

So, it may come down to game tapes, and their own interview and tryout evaluations with that player, and decisions regarding their beliefs of him either changing, and maturing, or with them seeing enough positive in that behavior and with belief the talent reward offsets the risks, or being positive and seeing his strengths that would fit the Bills need for a QB, etc, as each team has their own specific needs and philosophy, regarded what a leader is, their culture of players, and how that player could best help their team with their strengths..

(5) “Right now” I think Beane is content with staying at 12 and 21, and keeping the two 2nd and 3rd rounders too, even if the Jets to #3 reports are true, as he wants as many high rated players on their board as possible, to fill up their remaining position needs, and he is not into any premature hype, nor will let emotion, fear or other emotions, others’ actions or events cloud much his process or judgement.

(6) However, as Beane already likely knows what generally it could take to move up further, after general or preliminary talks with some of the teams who pick higher, and seeing that points formula to move up and what is expected or required for that,  and after seeing others move in the draft higher, if after Beane and his staff do all their detailed and extensive homework on the draft players that they had enough interest in or coveted, and they feel that this player or two could possibly change drastically positively their team drastically in their eyes, for long duration, and they know that player will likely not be available at the 12 or 21 position, of course they may want to move up further. Otherwise, if they see no urgency to move higher, as the belief is none of the top 4 quarterbacks warrants that higher draft value or stands out much above the others to fit the Bills, or with belief a good one will be there at 12 or 21 anyway, they thus will stay put at their draft positions. 

(7) The Bills could see 6 quarterbacks as not much different, in terms of reward and risk, or with regards to value at where they would pick them, if you add Jackson and Randolph, so whoever of that bunch falls to them may be ok to them, if their analysis soon of each of the top four too shows that each has too much hype or risk, or not much guarantee. Only if a Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and/ or Allen seemed like cannot misses to them, could perhaps they want to give up much draft capital. Getting AJ McCaron likely gives them some relief knowing any quarterback in the draft does not have to start right away. 

The Bills may think Rudolph or Jackson at 21 gives them better value than the others, with at linebacker at 12 making more sense, or if a higher rated linebacker or other position dropped to 12. Who knows, until Beane and company do the full evaluation of these players that intrigue them or that they preliminarily covet, until having longer meetings with them. One or more players may not even want to play in the cold or with Buffalo, or have a bad attitude talking to them.. We cannot assume anything. Beane picks up on small details, and one very important detail he uncovers could throw him off into another direction, or sway him  from being on the fence towards a player, to instead being more positive in the direction of that player. I feel Beane though will likely look at everything, and not require perfection, as that does not exist to him. He knows persons can get better, and that learning from mistakes can occur. 

In the end, Beane and staff obviously will shore up as best as possible the remaining positions of need through the draft. He will prioritize and take the players that provide expected good to great value to the team, and hope that all his choices were good decisions, but knows that may not be possible, as things happen and a college star dies not equate always to an nfl star. By being very detailed, patient, analytical, hardworking, and not playing all his cards, yet being true to himself, his character  and his philosophy, I feel he will make more hits than misses. His free agency moves and other things he says and has done shows Beane has an orderly plan, and prior trades shows he has courage to shake things up, so I think we are in good hands with Beane. 

I will support whatever choices he makes, as nobody knows how any of these players will turn out. They would be just guesses. I feel we have a guy with a vision, as does McDermott, and he can sift out the hype and emotion and used sound reasoning and good to great decisions based on much unbiased information, and use a methodical but savvy process to get us further, yet at the same time if he feels strongly about a player, after all his homework and analysis, and others’ input, I feel he would not be afraid to do what it reasonably takes to get him,  regardless what anyone here thinks, though I think he would put at least some small value on our opinions, and recent moves by other teams, as his ego is not that huge to discount totally other opinions and happenings based on what I see and hear.. But, like Marv Levy said, if a coach starts listening to the fans, he might as well sit with them. Sometimes, leading is thinking outside the box or going against the grain, or being patient. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rockinon said:

Jets gave up an awful lot to get there.  Glad that wasn't us.  Beane isn't going to overpay.  I'm completely OK with this.  We aren't making knuckleheaded decisions. Can't believe how many people are melting down right now.

I'm disappointed, but agree about not mortgaging the farm to go up to #2.

Having a (potentially) great QB and a mediocre team--due the inability to fill other holes with cheap first and second round draft choices for the next two years--is just as bad as having a good team with a mediocre QB.   We tried the latter, so the former isn't much more appealing either...

1 minute ago, Rockinon said:

Hahaha. Beane just made the Jets panic with our trade up to 12. Now they way over payed for that spot. This means a lot of QBs are coming off the board quick, meanwhile there is a lot of talent being ignored. QB isn't the only position that can make a difference.

...LMAO....not according to some of the "Chicken Littles" here......McBeane should put all of the picks on Ebay and resign today......we're doomed............