Hello Buffalo Fans - Two Bills Drive

19 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

Thanks brother. How was Brown in coverage? That's an area where our LB unit has struggled in recent years.

I'm very stoked about adding Glenn from a talent perspective, although I do worry about him staying healthy.

Actually, when the Bengals signed him I thought he’d fit right in because he is pretty similar to the LBs you’ve had in this regard.

The Glenn trade will be boom or bust. If he returns to consistent health then he will be a steal for you. He is an elite tackle when healthy. Plus he can play guard in a pinch (? inside joke)

10 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

How much of an opportunity do you guys envision McCarron being given here in Buffalo? 

During a presser, the GM gave all kinds of props to McC - and it seemed honest, not forced. The coach/management is big on competition and if can excel, he'll start ... and I think that's true even if we take a rookie at #3.

The team is so built around "the process" that it can't be any other way. He can win the job and he's lead dog right now in shorts. But they'll do anything to win. Can't forget that they gave the keys to Nate with the playoffs on the line against a good team. 

to the op: cordy's great when healthy and you got what a lot of people here overlook as THE LEAGUE'S LEADING TACKLER.

now that he's playing at his home, you will be very happy to have him.

i would have liked to keep him, but he get's to play for his hometown so good for him. i'm sure that will make him even better.

our lack of push up the middle with the front 4 is why a lot of people are saying...meh.

11 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

How much of an opportunity do you guys envision McCarron being given here in Buffalo? 

Beane & McDermott are REAL big on earning the right to compete ... I think at this point McCarron legitimately has a 33.3%  chance to be our starter (I think we are drafting a QB to have 3 QBs at camp)

If it wasn't for the fact that Glenn gets us up to the #12 pick, and consequently in range to move up for a top QB, if that's what the FO want to do, I think you would see a lot more angst about the move. When healthy, Glenn is a very good LT. He's also been a guy who has been no trouble whatsoever. Simply does his job. Fortunately, another 2nd round pick, in Dawkins, stepped up when Glenn was hurt last year, so while Glenn wasn't being made superfluous (we don't have a great RT, so tackles generally are still valuable to us), it was a trade that is about as close to a 'win, win' as you can get.

Brown is a generally smart, solid LB, who does a lot well, but lacks elite speed or athleticism. He won't let you down, but he won't make a lot of big plays either. He isn't going to be an answer to coverage woes, but he won't be a total liability there either. Another guy who hasn't been a problem either, in respect of character etc.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

Thanks brother. How was Brown in coverage? That's an area where our LB unit has struggled in recent years.

I'm very stoked about adding Glenn from a talent perspective, although I do worry about him staying healthy.

The reports of Glenn having health problems are greatly exaggerated.  He didn't have any issues until he injured his foot some time in second half of the 2016 season.  The decision was made to give it time to heal rather than Glenn having surgery, and that wasted most of the 2017 season.  Cordy's had successful surgery on the offending foot after being put on IR late last season, and should be good to go.

Glenn is one of the top pass blocking LTs in the game, and he's a decent run blocker, too.  He's a good teammate and a good citizen.  The Bengals got a good deal.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

I'm curious to see how he performs if he indeed starts the season. Very small sample size so far, with mixed results.

would you settle or comment on an ongoing argument here as to why a.j. never unseated dalton as the starter.

i am of the belief that lewis did not want a qb controversy and dalton continuously took that team to the playoffs.

would you shed some light on this? thanks.

Edited by billsredneck1

AS a little bit of an afterthought, I don't think the majority of Bills fans would be complaining, if both Brown and Glenn were still on the roster. While the feeling seems to be that we can do better than Brown, especially from a speed pov, there isn't that much against him. Some of that, is partly predicated on seeing what McDermott has liked/used previously with the Panthers.

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

The reports of Glenn having health problems are greatly exaggerated.  He didn't have any issues until he injured his foot some time in second half of the 2016 season.  The decision was made to give it time to heal rather than Glenn having surgery, and that wasted most of the 2017 season.  Cordy's had successful surgery on the offending foot after being put on IR late last season, and should be good to go.

Glenn is one of the top pass blocking LTs in the game, and he's a decent run blocker, too.  He's a good teammate and a good citizen.  The Bengals got a good deal.

Injuries to both feet on a 350 lb, 7 season vet, that were serious enough to keep him out of most of last two seasons can’t be described as “greatly exaggerated”, IMO. But he may come back strong.

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I get it.  I’d have loved  to see someone clobber the Neanderthal Gronk.  

My comment was that the relaliator usually gets he flag.

Gotcha always happens that way. I just thought getting into his face would've sufficed.

• Like (+1) 1

Brown is terrible is man coverage from my watching experience. He’s not nearly as bad in zone, I’d say average.  He’s a smart player and super durable.  Don’t think he’s ever missed a game.  Can’t even remember him on the injury report.  Problem is, he’s slow.  I’m glad he’s gone strictly because I’d like a game changin MLB (I mean, who doesn’t?). 

Glenn was a consistent top 10 LT until the foot issues appeared.....and never went away.  If he’s healthy, it’s a great trade for you.  

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for an amazing memory that I’ll never forget.  

Brown is a student of the game and works hard.  I think his dad played college and maybe pro ball and Preston has been watching film since he was eight.  His problem is that he lacks premier speed and quickness.  He's often a half step late on his drops into zone coverage, a half step late to the hole.  He makes the right reads but doesn't get there in time.  McDermott's defense demands speed from the middle linebacker, so he wasn't a fit. In earlier seasons I didn't notice that Browns lack of quickness was such a problem, so depending on you scheme he may be fine. 

I think Glenn is overrated, but that's just me.  He strikes me as a tweener.  Not a big road grading tackle but not am elite pass blocker either.  Solid, but not special.  He was traded because a rookie taken in the second round (like Glenn) was just as good, despite his inexperience. And there's his health. Bills fans tired of the endless news about him in and out of the lineup. Maybe he's okay now.  If he is, you'll be happy to have him, but he's not Orlando Pace. 

36 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Thanks for swapping picks with us and for getting us into the playoffs! The Bengals are our new other fav team

Yes!! I also appreciated the way the Bengals organization handled the Devon Still situation and purchased his jersey to support the #Leahstrong efforts. First class!!!

4 minutes ago, Buddo said:

AS a little bit of an afterthought, I don't think the majority of Bills fans would be complaining, if both Brown and Glenn were still on the roster. While the feeling seems to be that we can do better than Brown, especially from a speed pov, there isn't that much against him. Some of that, is partly predicated on seeing what McDermott has liked/used previously with the Panthers.

This is a good point. Both are good football players.  They won't make you scream at the TV to get those guys off the field. You just won't hear Troy Aikman talking about them as difference makers. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

would you settle or comment on an ongoing argument here as to why a.j. never unseated dalton as the starter.

i am of the belief that lewis did not want a qb controversy and dalton continuously took that team to the playoffs.

would you shed some light on this? thanks.

Dalton is an entrenched starter who took the Bengals to the playoffs 5 straight years, has a winning record overal and also signed a very team friendly deal. Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis do not like QB controversy and while Andy certainly has his flaws and shortcomings, they have both seemed very content with his production and growth as a QB.

For those reasons, Andy's job has never really been contended or in danger. McCarron was going to be the backup as long as Andy was under contract. 

In the handful of starts that McCarron had, he showed some flashes - and displayed confidence and swagger - but he also had his struggles as well. It's hard to truly evaluate him until he gets some extended playing time and a little more experience. One thing he definitely has to work on is getting the ball out quicker and being a bit more decisive with his reads. 

Edited by Bengalholic

2 minutes ago, Bengalholic said:

In the handful of starts that McCarron had, he showed some flashes - and displayed some swagger as well - but he also had his struggles as well. It's hard to truly evaluate him until he gets some extended playing time and a little more experience. One thing he definitely has to work on is getting the ball out quicker and being a bit more decisive with his reads. 

Which is what one might expect from a young guy.  

I thought I read it somewhere that AJ is  2-1 as a starter?  Is that correct?