OJ Simpson Talks Bills

I know he is an infamous figure but he does give some insights into Ralph in the 60’s and 70’s in his first interview since getting out of prison. The qoute where he says Ralph declared he didn’t want a championship that would mean giving all the players a raise is believable. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/16/the-o-j-simpson-interview-on-prison-retirement-and-football/

Just now, Leonhart2017 said:

I know he is an infamous figure but he does give some insights into Ralph in the 60’s and 70’s in his first interview since getting out of prison. The qoute where he says Ralph declared he didn’t want a championship that would mean giving all the players a raise is believable. 

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/16/the-o-j-simpson-interview-on-prison-retirement-and-football/

I believe him here.  I have mixed feelings about Ralph as an owner...most Bills fans should

• Like (+1) 1

It actually makes sense what OJ is saying about Ralph. Sports owners from the early days of the major professional leagues ran the teams like a business because the team was the major source of income and the teams could rarely lose money and maintain operation. Ralph being in a smaller market and coming from that mentality probably did run the team like a business. It wasn't until bigger TV and radio deals emerged that teams were sold to people who made millions and eventually billions in other businesses and basically those owners basically ran those teams like toys devoid of year to year losses for the most part. 

Modern ownership groups are 1-2 billionaires and a bunch of millionaire minority investors who run the teams as a long-term investment (Where the value of the team when sold again is where the money is made not the year to year operations) or once again it is a billionaire who cashed out on another business and is now having fun. Older sports owners cared about the bottom line, they had to make money that year, a loss revenue wise meant that the owner's personal finances could be in jeopardy. Ralph seemingly was cut from that grain of sports ownership. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

It actually makes sense what OJ is saying about Ralph. Sports owners from the early days of the major professional leagues ran the teams like a business because the team was the major source of income and the teams could rarely lose money and maintain operation. Ralph being in a smaller market and coming from that mentality probably did run the team like a business. It wasn't until bigger TV and radio deals emerged that teams were sold to people who made millions and eventually billions in other businesses and basically those owners basically ran those teams like toys devoid of year to year losses for the most part. 

Modern ownership groups are 1-2 billionaires and a bunch of millionaire minority investors who run the teams as a long-term investment (Where the value of the team when sold again is where the money is made not the year to year operations) or once again it is a billionaire who cashed out on another business and is now having fun. Older sports owners cared about the bottom line, they had to make money that year, a loss revenue wise meant that the owner's personal finances could be in jeopardy. Ralph seemingly was cut from that grain of sports ownership. 

That is an excellent point possibly without Ralph’s shrewdness and business sense there would not be an AFL-NFL merger let alone a Bills team today.

31 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

I believe him here.  I have mixed feelings about Ralph as an owner...most Bills fans should

Uhhh...he is in the HOF and our greatest owner ever. He kept the Bills in Buffalo insteadof taking more money by moving elsewhere . He saved the Oakland Raiders. Why would you trash a Buffalo icon?

34 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

That quote is a lie.

• Like (+1) 1

I never idolized any actors, musicians, astronauts, basketball or baseball players as a kid.  I only ever had one idol growing up: OJ Simpson.  His amazing talent on the field was matched by his class off it.

Now I can't stand the turd.  

Kind of cool, I suppose, that Tim Graham and the BN landed an interview with him.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

That is an excellent point possibly without Ralph’s shrewdness and business sense there would not be an AFL-NFL merger let alone a Bills team today.

OJ quote from the article:

"Me, being a 22-year-old kid, I had never heard anybody in athletics talk that way. That's when it dawned on me this guy is all about the business and not about the game. You knew just from what you read every day in L.A. that Carroll Rosenbloom was a competitor. I knew, growing up in San Francisco, Al Davis was a competitor."

If not for Ralph Wilson pragmatism and giving Al Davis a loan to keep the Oakland Raiders afloat................................

oh I forgot, it's all about OJ to OJ.