3-19: UFA LB Will Compton Visiting the Bills - Signs with Titans

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/01/29/evaluating-will-comptons-performance-as-the-starting-inside-linebacker/?utm_term=.c276991427d5

He was the QB of the defense in 2016....Good analysis of his competence in that role but also of his shortcomings particularly in the run game....The final assessment of the article is that he is special teams core and back up MLB...he will likely get paid like this.

I could see he and Murphy being the modern era Smerlas and Haslett :-)

8 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

:lol:

OMG -- he and Murphy were born to play professional football in WNY for our beloved Buffalo Bills....

Edited by JoeF
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JoeF said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2016/01/29/evaluating-will-comptons-performance-as-the-starting-inside-linebacker/?utm_term=.c276991427d5

He was the QB of the defense in 2016....Good analysis of his competence in that role

OMG -- he and Murphy were born to play professional football in WNY for our beloved Buffalo Bills....

Those two are going through some tables. Just a matter of when.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're late, but welcome to the party. 

Oh wow. My fault!!!! 

I just noticed. Saw it on Twitter and had to share, good find as always. I'm deleting now .

Low risk , High reward... Jordan Poyer part Dos?

17 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

I knew that but fat fingered it. O next to the I in qwerty. My thoughts on Compton stand. He has the culture we want just not the ability.

Well with the amount of money we have left and the holes we still have to fill he will have to do. It's either him or have Tanner Vallejo start... I'll take Compton everday. There is a 3rd option but that requires we not trade up and draft a LB with our extra picks... At this point it doesn't look likely.

I'm thinking we trade our 2 Firsts, Clevelands 3rd, and a mid round pick next year for year and trade to #3 overall.

We sign Compton and a Nickle CB.

Then Drafting goes like this

Round 1. QB

Round 2. WR

Round 2. OT

Round 3. OG/C

Round 4. OLB

Round 5. CB

Round 6. TE

Looking at the way free agency is going I think we will be drafting offensive heavy. Get our rookie a weapon and some protection.

My point being with a trade up it's not likely that we can upgrade EVERY position. We will have to sacrifice a little and settle for a proven player like Compton if we want to move up into the top 5 and make sure our positions get filled.

I’m stunned the Bills haven’t done more in UFA at the LB position. It’s a weak draft for the LB especially ILB and being it’s likely we are going to move 4 picks to get to #2 or #3, we need some coverage here. I’d prefer to not rely on 5th and 6th round draft picks. 

4 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

I’m stunned the Bills haven’t done more in UFA at the LB position. It’s a weak draft for the LB especially ILB and being it’s likely we are going to move 4 picks to get to #2 or #3, we need some coverage here. I’d prefer to not rely on 5th and 6th round draft picks. 

They must have a plan.

12 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Their plan is Tanner Vallejo which is scary

Um, no.

Their plan is to draft from a very deep pool of off-ball LBs that fit their scheme 

There will be players like Fred Warner and Jerome Baker left on day 3 that can come in and play significant snaps in this defense 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

Um, no.

Their plan is to draft from a very deep pool of off-ball LBs that fit their scheme 

There will be players like Fred Warner and Jerome Baker left on day 3 that can come in and play significant snaps in this defense 

Late round draft picks are not a plan, they are desperation.

28 minutes ago, KRT88 said:

At 8m per for most of these guys the Bills didn't have the cap room.

DT,Rush End and QB were more important.

• Like (+1) 1

This signing would fit in with McDermott's philosophy of building a team, not an all-star roster. This defense looks very blue collar next year.

3 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

At 8m per for most of these guys the Bills didn't have the cap room.

DT,Rush End and QB were more important.

They had the room but Beane is a very smart GM with a financial plan for the Bills cap. They could push money into the future, but he doesn't want to do that.

8 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Late round draft picks are not a plan, they are desperation.

You're missing the point 

They could very well be planning to draft a starting LB in round 2 for all we know.

That's not the point either 

In the last 2 seasons, the team's best LB were a street FA picked up off the scrap heap (who went to the pro bowl) and a 5th round rookie, respectively. ILB isn't exactly a difficult position to fill these days.

Now, if you want a Luke Kuechly, then yes, you need to be prepared to invest premium assets, but that's clearly not their plan at this point.

You're looking at Milano, LorAx, a round 2/3 rookie, a vet like Compton, a day 3 rookie, Vallejo, and either Lacey or Stanford as the LBs.

You may not like the plan, but that's what it is.

• Like (+1) 2