I don't think the Browns are taking a QB at 1 or 4..

D521646

1 hour ago, D521646 said:

Ok, so a lot of none believers I see.. Well, I stand by it, this is my prediction, bold as it is. :)

Tim-

Looking at next year's QB draft class IMO should have them pulling the trigger this year.

Edited by xRUSHx

5 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Nate Burleson said the same thing on Good Morning Football this am: Barkely at #1 and either OG Nelson or some other blue chip or trading out for more draft riches.  Any number of NFL media analysts are predicting that the Browns are going to take Barkley with the #1 pick because they don't think that they like any of the QBs in this draft enough. 

Also Dorsey said a few weeks ago that the Browns were open to trading the #1 pick "for the right price".  He wouldn't say that if the Browns had already predetermined that they were taking a specific QB at #1.  They don't have to put up any "smokescreens".

The Browns doing Browns things..

1 hour ago, D521646 said:

I "think" that they have a gentleman's agreement in place with the Bills.  I "think" that if the QB the Bills covet is still there at 4, we have an agreement with them for their 4th, our 12th, 22nd, 65th, and late rounder this or next year for that pick.  The Browns add draft capital, and cans till get a decent QB at 12 or even 22nd if they so desired.

I think this is how it's going to go down.  The Bills exposed themselves, IMO, with this trade to the Browns.  Adding AJM was hedging, but I believe the Bills are looking to add that franchise QB, even if he sits a year or two.  Who?  I dunno, my wish is Mayfield, but I don't know who they covet, but it will be someone at 4 for the Bills.

Tim-

I agree with "the gentlemen's agreement" part but there is no way that Clev does not pick a QB at #1... Assuming it is Darnold, I believe that the Bills will attempt to trade with Indy 1st but failing that will do the fall back deal with Clev for #4... This also assumes that the Giants pick Barkley at #2... We shall see...

2 hours ago, D521646 said:

I "think" that they have a gentleman's agreement in place with the Bills.  I "think" that if the QB the Bills covet is still there at 4, we have an agreement with them for their 4th, our 12th, 22nd, 65th, and late rounder this or next year for that pick.  The Browns add draft capital, and cans till get a decent QB at 12 or even 22nd if they so desired.

I think this is how it's going to go down.  The Bills exposed themselves, IMO, with this trade to the Browns.  Adding AJM was hedging, but I believe the Bills are looking to add that franchise QB, even if he sits a year or two.  Who?  I dunno, my wish is Mayfield, but I don't know who they covet, but it will be someone at 4 for the Bills.

Tim-

That's way too much compensation for #4. I could see #12, #53 and a 2019 2nd for #4 and a 2019 3rd, but not what you suggested, too much.

What this comes down to:

Where is Cleveland drafting next year? What % chance to they have of not being a top 5 team next year? How about a top 10 team? Mathematically, they have the highest propensity, the same as every team, of going 8-8. Next is 7-9/9-7, etc. We don't(and I stress, again, CAN'T) "know" anything about where a team will finish until next December. However, we can speculate that Cleveland has a higher propensity to be drafting in the top 10 next year, than they do of drafting in the middle 10 or bottom 12, and be fairly comfortable with that assessment.

Given all of this, again, nothing says they have to go QB this year, especially if they don't see a true franchise QB in this class. They might see one next year, and if that's the case, they need as many resources as possible to get up to #1 and get him.

A team can't simply blow #1 overall, or #4 overall, on a QB who isn't good enough to be drafted there, for no reasons other than "because Mr. Weo says so", "because TV says so",  or "we have to because we have to".

That's how you get Johnny Washout, Tim Couch or the rest of the awful QB picks Cleveland has taken: "because".