Eric Wood issues

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bills aren’t asking for any amount back. They are simply minimizing  their cap exposure by having him wait to be designated a post June 1st cut. There is no acrimony as has been implied by some. They will go through the formality of an injury settlement that keeps him whole and then have the celebratory retirement announcement that was delayed previously. 

Bill's do want some movement on wood's side.

Here's a link.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22256945/eric-wood-remains-buffalo-bills-roster-puts-retirement-hold-due-salary-cap-issue

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Rodak alludes to nothing about the Bills wanting money back from Wood. At that time there was a misunderstanding about the impact on the cap if he announced his retirement in January and Beane and Co. wanted to dot their Is and cross their Ts with the league and NFLPA to ensure proper compliance. It comes down to cap management and designating him a post June 1 cut when the time is right because that benefits the cap situation best. There has been nothing to indicate a squabble over bonus money or a legal issue as has been implied. 

1 minute ago, K-9 said:

Rodak alludes to nothing about the Bills wanting money back from Wood. At that time there was a misunderstanding about the impact on the cap if he announced his retirement in January and Beane and Co. wanted to dot their Is and cross their Ts with the league and NFLPA to ensure proper compliance. It comes down to cap management and designating him a post June 1 cut when the time is right because that benefits the cap situation best. There has been nothing to indicate a squabble over bonus money or a legal issue as has been implied. 

This would be my assessment of what's happened so far. Tbh, what the Bills should be doing, is simply arranging the timing of the announcement to their best advantage, something I doubt Wood actually has a problem with. After that, they should be paying the man , and letting him ride off into the sunset. Imho, anything else displays a total lack of class, when a player has played games in the last season, where he could have ended up in a wheeelchair, unknowingly, when the teams' medical staff or physical trainers,  should have been ensuring his safety.

20 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I never said there is a "squabble" over it.  The NFLPA is looking into his contract and seeing about "some" of his Bonus $'s.

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Wow you understand this well! Thank you.

I wonder do you know if Woods could refuse to retire? (Like he kind of did) And then make them lick him off the team, so he gets his bonus?

That might be something he could try.

56 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Bills aren’t asking for any amount back. They are simply minimizing  their cap exposure by having him wait to be designated a post June 1st cut. There is no acrimony as has been implied by some. They will go through the formality of an injury settlement that keeps him whole and then have the celebratory retirement announcement that was delayed previously. 

Do you know for sure (from a source) that they aren't asking for money back?  If so then that would settle it.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I never said there is a "squabble" over it.  The NFLPA is looking into his contract and seeing about "some" of his Bonus $'s.

Didn’t mean to imply that you did. Others have though. The Bills aren’t looking to take back any bonus, so I’m not sure what the NFLPA is looking at.

Edited by K-9
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Doc said:

That might be something he could try.

Do you know for sure (from a source) that they aren't asking for money back?  If so then that would settle it.

Not from OBD, from PSE. If it were a case where Wood just up and retired, I’m sure they would have sought arbitration to recoup some bonus and then add it back to their cap. And Overdorf certainly looked at the possibilities. But because the retirement was forced due to injury and arbitration would most likely favor the player in that situation, it wasn’t worth pursuing. It’s not like a “Barry Sanders” rule scenario here. So the best the team could hope for in terms of the cap was to wait, waive him injured, and reach a favorable injury settlement with Wood. It’s my understanding that’s what they are doing. 

• Like (+1) 1