Eric Wood issues

On Monday, Eric Wood will cost more to cut then to keep. They will have to keep him and IR him when that becomes open. I except this to last into June and beyond, unless Eric agrees to something.

We are paying him more to be retired. A really poor time for an extension last year.
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Just trust me on this.  It's a pending legal case so it's hush, hush.

That would make sense, although it's probably not a legal case but a motion with the NFLPA to claw back the signing bonus so it doesn't kick in the cap.

Best outcome is to clawback the bonus and hire him for Pegula Entertainment 

• Like (+1) 1

How can they be surprised or mixed up about terms of a contract when the guys gets injured?

They have been doing this a while now I don't see how there could be anything about this that isn't just spelled out in the contract. It isn't like he was abducted by space aliens. That would be a justifiable surprise.

If it is a legal dispute somebody should be in trouble.

My bet is it is an accounting trick that they need to delay on it for some reason.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Come on man, they couldn't have known about his injury.

I didn’t read it as placing blame. I read “bad time” as unlucky, not as in poor decision. 

Also so what are the rules on IR-ing a career ending injury for they sake of the cap. I’ve always thought that big time career ending injuries/retirements should have little to no effect on the cap situation for teams. I am sure language could be inserted into the CBA to account for this. Something in the realm of “career ending injuries will not impede teams existing cap standings baring said injured player officially files for retirement within 5 days of release” 

Players (income) nor teams should be held back in situations like this. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BadLandsMeanie said:

How can they be surprised or mixed up about terms of a contract when the guys gets injured?

They have been doing this a while now I don't see how there could be anything about this that isn't just spelled out in the contract. It isn't like he was abducted by space aliens. That would be a justifiable surprise.

If it is a legal dispute somebody should be in trouble.

My bet is it is an accounting trick that they need to delay on it for some reason.

His 2018 salary is guaranteed for injury.  This injury happens to also require that Wood retire.  When you retire, the team can ask for the remainder of the unamortized signing bonus back.  Teams usually don't but usually a player isn't guaranteed his final year salary either.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Just trust me on this.  It's a pending legal case so it's hush, hush.

You troll this board every chance you get, I'm not taking anything you say at your word. If you had proof, then I'd believe you.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

His 2018 salary is guaranteed for injury.  This injury happens to also require that Wood retire.  When you retire, the team can ask for the remainder of the unamortized signing bonus back.  Teams usually don't but usually a player isn't guaranteed his final year salary either.

Wow you understand this well! Thank you.

I wonder do you know if Woods could refuse to retire? (Like he kind of did) And then make them lick him off the team, so he gets his bonus?

4 minutes ago, Doc said:

Bills aren’t asking for any amount back. They are simply minimizing  their cap exposure by having him wait to be designated a post June 1st cut. There is no acrimony as has been implied by some. They will go through the formality of an injury settlement that keeps him whole and then have the celebratory retirement announcement that was delayed previously. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Wow you understand this well! Thank you.

I wonder do you know if Woods could refuse to retire? (Like he kind of did) And then make them lick him off the team, so he gets his bonus?

That would take more licks than it does to get to the tootsie roll.

• Haha (+1) 2