Bills GM: Not certain we move up to take QB

25 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Did Beane also indicate that he was comfortable with paying the $6M bonus to Tyrod?

And they may have been, but then the Browns came calling and they didn't have to worry about it. It's not like he was scrambling and took whatever he could get do he did get cut for free. At least 95% of the people here were shocked he was able to get a third......

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's the safe answer. Typical gm speak. You start saying you're gonna move up, other teams will start asking you to sell the farm to get their pick. Bean is smart

Smarter than a fair number here.  Never tip your hand if you do not have to.

14 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I think the whole thing is based on who does what. He’s not going to give a ton to move up. There’s no guarantee those quarterbacks are all going in the top 10. If he can sit at 12 and still get one of their top 3 ranked quarterbacks and keep all their picks that’s huge. I also think a lot of people are undervaluing what Mccarron May bring to the table here. They can win now with Mccarron and still go after an elite quarterback prospect next year. I just don’t think he’s giving away all these picks just for the sake of moving up. We will know in a few weeks though 

Further, who is to say that McCarron will not flourish in a new situation especially with the right coach.

2 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

20 minutes of hot air. 

Plenty of talking, nothing of substance. 

They are pro poker players, they are not showing you jack. 

Nor should they.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

"There are some players that are going to be at 12 -- whether it's quarterback or another position -- that I know would not have fallen to 21," Beane said, referring to the No. 21 overall selection Buffalo traded to Cincinnati. "I'm excited about that. There are some guys that we were talking about right before we went to the combine with our scouts, and I'm like, 'We're wasting our time with this guy. He ain't falling to 21. This guy is a top-10, 12 -- he ain't getting past 15.'

"We're in the range for those guys [now]. And that's not necessarily quarterback."

That's like 9 players...BFD(Big F'in Deal)

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

How many of you who say Beane was lying in his press conference would stand in front of him and say he was lying?   

pulling our leg might be a nicer way of putting it,

If Mayfield is targeted maybe not...

It's funny cause if he came out and said I have a deal worked out and we are moving up no matter the cost, everyone would get excited and no one would be sitting here talking about how he is lying and that's what they Do, its a smokescreen. If it's not what the fans want to hear it's always that it's lying, poker face, smokescreen, etc. Except when it's what they want them to say.

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

How many of you who say Beane was lying in his press conference would stand in front of him and say he was lying?   

He is giving generic "coachspeak" responses. That is not lying. 

"We're looking for good football players" - well, I hope so! 

After our 1st round draft picks, regardless of who we get, you know what the response will be? 

"They were the target all along". 

"We're excited for what he can do for our football team" 

Blah, blah, blah... 

Sooooo.... here's an interesting statement by Beane that, to me, might be a slip by Beane that the Bills are targeting Lamar Jackson:

"There are some guys that we were talking about right before we went to the combine with our scouts, and I'm like, 'We're wasting our time with this guy. He ain't falling to 21. This guy is a top-10, 12 -- he ain't getting past 15."

15, huh? 

Who has been the team most linked to Lamar Jackson?

Just try googling "team most likely to draft Lamar Jackson" and right now this is the 1st link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/2018-nfl-mock-draft-lamar-jackson-carson-palmer-cardinals/amp/

Very interesting. I still think we're pretty clearly moving up, but specifically referencing the Cardinals draft spot might be a sign. 

Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen in a trade up or Jackson at 12 and I'm stoked!!!! :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

A few more weeks it will be well known who they are taking - it happens every year....

Ehh, usually only because there is an obvious choice, and that #1 team doesnt usually also have pick #4. But Cleveland could go RB then QB, or QB first and whoever at #4...

And with the Rookie Slotting, teams no longer have to work out a lengthy contract negotiation before the draft.

Cleveland has no reason to show their hand.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1

Of course he doesnt know what he is going to do because he doesnt know what is going to be there, who is going to fall and how much moving up will truly cost because other teams might also be talking to teams in the top 5 about moving up but wont know if they are wantimg to for the same reasons...

• Like (+1) 1

I want a gm who says absolute gibberish when asked questions. "We look at the draft like a dog looks at the magna carta, our visual preceptors are always tuned in to the quantum fluctuation and the gamma photons.  Our plan is to jimmy the johnsons and don the shulas. We will not be passive or aggressive we will be passive and or aggressive to varying degrees. In 2000 years when the kalaxans are first heard over the nebulonic speaker storms we will be the team we were meant to be..."

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, usually only because there is an obvious choice, and that #1 team doesnt usually also have pick #4. But Cleveland could go RB then QB, or QB first and whoever at #4...

And with the Rookie Slotting, teams no longer have to work out a lengthy contract negotiation before the draft.

Cleveland has no reason to show their hand.

There hand will be shown, every year there is no surprise at #1. We knew Myles Garrett last year, we knew Goff, we knew Winston, we knew Clowney, we knew Fisher, we knew Luck, we knew Newton...we will know this one