Bills GM: Not certain we move up to take QB

7 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Anyone else scared another team is going to fleece us on the trade up deal because it's obvious that we are banking on that for our answer at qb?

I think that’s where our relationships with other teams at the top comes in- all sides involved will want a deal that works for everyone

In the NFL, unless you're signing a free agent for whom there is no competition, every move a team makes depends in part on at least one other team, and often on multiple teams.  I imagine that in the Bills' perfect world, Beane wants to move up, but he has to have contingency plans in place for various possible events in the draft.  To trade up, first you have to have another team in the right spot that is interested in trading down.  Right now, I would guess there are probably three spots Buffalo is interested in trading into in order to get the QB they want, maybe four.  We assume the Colts are interested in trading out of #3.  Maybe all three teams are interested in trading (Cleveland times 2, NY Giants and Indy).  Maybe not.  Second, Beane has in mind a price he's willing to pay.  The teams that may be interested in trading undoubtedly have a price they want to receive.  Invariably, the team interested in trading down has a higher price in mind for their pick than their prospective trading partner has in mind for trading up.  At this point in time, that's probably the biggest fly in the ointment.  Whether or not it gets resolved depends on how motivated buy and seller are to settle on a price that both can live with.  For Beane,  his wiggle room probably depends on how he views all the top QBs.  If there is only one QB he thinks he can live with, he has to play a dangerous game.  If there are four or five he thinks can develop into the franchise guy Buffalo has lacked to way too long, his price to move up probably doesn't have a whole lot of wiggle room because he'll figure he can get one of his guys at #12, or maybe even at #22.  If all that is true, I can see why he said what he said.  There are no plans in place to move up, or maybe more accurately, there are plans in place to try and move up, and plans in place to stand pat, if that's how the draft works out.

9 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Anyone else scared another team is going to fleece us on the trade up deal because it's obvious that we are banking on that for our answer at qb?

No...we have been the ones doing the fleecing...I expect more of the same

16 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Sooooo.... here's an interesting statement by Beane that, to me, might be a slip by Beane that the Bills are targeting Lamar Jackson:

"There are some guys that we were talking about right before we went to the combine with our scouts, and I'm like, 'We're wasting our time with this guy. He ain't falling to 21. This guy is a top-10, 12 -- he ain't getting past 15."

15, huh? 

Who has been the team most linked to Lamar Jackson?

Just try googling "team most likely to draft Lamar Jackson" and right now this is the 1st link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/02/04/2018-nfl-mock-draft-lamar-jackson-carson-palmer-cardinals/amp/

Very interesting. I still think we're pretty clearly moving up, but specifically referencing the Cardinals draft spot might be a sign. 

Mayfield/Darnold/Rosen in a trade up or Jackson at 12 and I'm stoked!!!! :thumbsup:

I tell ya what- he’s not my first choice but I would certainly take Lamar over Allen any day

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

I want a gm who says absolute gibberish when asked questions. "We look at the draft like a dog looks at the magna carta, our visual preceptors are always tuned in to the quantum fluctuation and the gamma photons.  Our plan is to jimmy the johnsons and don the shulas. We will not be passive or aggressive we will be passive and or aggressive to varying degrees. In 2000 years when the kalaxans are first heard over the nebulonic speaker storms we will be the team we were meant to be..."

That's the way Rex Ryan talked. The problem was that he thought it meant something. 

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

No...we have been the ones doing the fleecing...I expect more of the same

Ya but we are not in a position of power, we have a lot of picks and we want a qb, all the other teams know this. If they really like a guy at 2,3,4 they are going to want to get compensated, likely a lot more than the "value charts"

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JoeF said:

How do you know Brandon Beane is lying this time of year?  His lips are moving...

Ha. Sal was adamant Beane told him the Bills weren't pursuing a UFA QB a few hours before we signed McCarron, so I'm not even convinced we're done with free agency and are "100% focused on the draft." That being said, he might NOT be certain he's going to move up--he strikes me as a "game theory"(-ish) type of guy who may wait to see how it all plays out or jump if a team wants to move back and makes HIM an offer. Who knows?

Just now, Mrbojanglezs said:

Ya but we are not in a position of power, we have a lot of picks and we want a qb, all the other teams know this. If they really like a guy at 2,3,4 they are going to want to get compensated, likely a lot more than the "value charts"

The other teams have 1 team who can give them multiple picks this year, we have 3 teams to trade with (NY, Indy, Cleveland) so we do have some leverage. 

1 minute ago, Batman1876 said:

The other teams have 1 team who can give them multiple picks this year, we have 3 teams to trade with (NY, Indy, Cleveland) so we do have some leverage. 

Thats true if all 3 teams are interested trading down we could play them off each other to get a smaller trade up package.

3 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Thats true if all 3 teams are interested trading down we could play them off each other to get a smaller trade up package.

They don't all need to be interested, one of them just has to think that the others are.