Bills GM: Not certain we move up to take QB

I think he’s telling the truth and lying at the same time.  I think he desperately wants to trade up and grab a marquise QB but doesn’t want to tip his hand, and he is also truthful when he says he doesn’t know what he’s going to do because until the draft starts, and the picks are made and phone calls start flying back and forth, he has no idea what he will do.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

And he could come to this conclusion about the QB he wants and realize he's not falling out of the top 5.  He's admitted he's not done evaluating the QBs, so it's all just kind of a throw away comment.

Yep, don't read into too much of what is said as if you show you are desperate then you are going to get taken to the cleaners.  

Do I think they'll trade up?   Yes.   

Do I think Beane is lying about not knowing if he will trade up?  No.

In my experience, I've heard very few GMs talk in such an open and straightforward manner as Beane does.   Here's what he said:

I haven't focused on the draft.  Until now I've been focused on free agency.   We evaluate potential free agents more or less the way we put together a draft board, figuring out what each guy is worth to us.   That's what I've been doing.

Now I will begin to focus on the draft.   I don't know nearly enough about any of the top players, and I will by the time the draft comes.   We will put a value on each guy.   We haven't done that. 

When we know how good each guy is, then we can talk to teams to find out what they want for their picks and we can decide whether we think it's worth what they want to get the guy we we want.   I don't know whether there's a deal to be made or not, because I don't enough about the players and I don't know yet what teams at the top of the draft want. 

What part of that don't you believe?

The question no one asked, which he would have ducked, is given what you know now about the QBs, what do you think the chances are you'll trade up?    I'd say 80%.   I'd guess he'd say the same.   That's what I'd like to know.   

Here's the thing:  I don't think any one of the rookies has a resume that looks like Luck's or Newton's coming out of college.   None of these guys has the same high probability of success that those guys had.   If I'm right about that, then the teams that need QBs aren't going to be so excited about trading up.   And the teams that are up there already that need QBs may not be so anxious to roll the dice.  

Look at the extreme year, when EJ and Geno were generally the two highest rated guys coming out.   There was no stampede to trade up; in fact, as you know, the Bills traded DOWN and still got the guy they wanted.   

So maybe Beane isn't all that impressed with these guys.   Maybe he actually IS content to sit at 12 and take the best QB left on the board.   Maybe he likes that better than coughing up his 22d pick and a second round pick.   That doesn't seem to be a completely crazy prospect.  

On the other hand, how likely is it that he already knows he loves a guy so much he's going to the top of the draft to get him?   Looking at the rookies we're talking about, I don't think it's very likely. 

In other words, I think he's telling the truth when he says he doesn't know if he's trading up.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

I think the whole thing is based on who does what. He’s not going to give a ton to move up. There’s no guarantee those quarterbacks are all going in the top 10. If he can sit at 12 and still get one of their top 3 ranked quarterbacks and keep all their picks that’s huge. I also think a lot of people are undervaluing what Mccarron May bring to the table here. They can win now with Mccarron and still go after an elite quarterback prospect next year. I just don’t think he’s giving away all these picks just for the sake of moving up. We will know in a few weeks though 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I don't know what people expected him to say...

"Yeah we want HAVE to get into the top 5 to get a QB. We are DESPERATELY trying to work out a trade with one of the teams and hoping BEYOND HOPE THAT we can get it done NO MATTER WHAT THE COST."

??

FIFY

That might possibly satisfy some of the fans around here. :lol:

The only way Beane would know for sure what he will do is if he had the #1 pick.

Other than that it depends on how the draft falls and who will deal what.

Beane wasn't here yet last year, but I think the Bills showed last year, that they will pass on a QB if he isn't the one that they want.

So they might narrow it down to two that they are willing to trade up for, and if they can't get one of those two, they won't  trade up.

I think he is honest that they don't know what they will do.