First Pick @ 12 - Not a QB? How 'bout Vita?

So, with the AJM signing, does it make sense that we might not go QB with the first pick or even move up? I think there's a chance Vita Vea might still be there at 12. I really think this kid is a once every 10 year draft kind of talent. Does he fill a big need on the defensive line? Or, do you think signing Star Lotulelei eliminated the Bills thoughts on D line in the first round?

Edited by Houston's #1 Bills Fan

No defensive tackle out there can single handedly impact a game the way a quarterback can.  This is the year to get the quarterback.  We have the ammo to do it.  I would hate to see the Bills do all this work just to stop short of the end goal which is finding our franchise qb who can lead us to the playoffs and beyond for the next 15 years.

Edited by Zebrastripes
  • Like (+1) 3

It simply has ot be a bold move up for a QB.... 20+ years of sub par QB play for this franchise.. Most of us old timers can not stomach the thought of passing up a top QB for anything..

The Bills are a lot like a library book when it comes to franchise QB's... We are overdue (Anybody use libraries anymore?)

• Like (+1) 1

Beane's manoeuvres are all about QB IMO. Having said that they could add another DT, just not in the first and depending on whether or not they are successful in moving further up the board. With Star on board I dont see why Vita. If we keep our picks I could see D. Payne if he falls to the second round. With Star eating space Payne could turn into a good 3 tech IMO. 

11 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

OK - QB it is! Sorry, guys!!

The only way it's not a QB is if Beane and McD see something in AJM that the rest of us aren't seeing.

Supposedly, Hue Jackson really wanted AJM as his starter.  Maybe McD does too.  Maybe he thinks AJM is our franchise QB and we don't need to look further.

But that's hard to imagine.  Given our lack of a proven starter - and this being the "year of the quarterback" - how do you not draft one when you have as much draft capital as the Bills?

Maybe AJM is better than most NFL talent evaluators seem to think.   Do you stake your team's future and your career on a "maybe"?  I wouldn't.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

Then why would we have just backed the Brinks truck to sign Meatball and Star?  McCarron would not have a contract with playing time tiers... Not going to happen even in an alternate dimension. QB guaranteed.  Anything else is like:

1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 to 1 odds.

And if that shooting star happens to hit, I expect a lynching shortly thereafter.

Edited by simool

14 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

Unless something happens that isn't going to (Barkley / Fitzpatrick / Chubb) falling to 12, OBD is going to see a fan revolt if they don't go QB.

I'll "trust the process," but I want Rosen or Mayfield.  I think Bean has a QB or 2 in mind and they will work to get that guy.  If that guy is not available for whatever reason, I'd be fine with Vea or a LB and going w/ McCarron (seems like a lot of due diligence was done on him) and a QB later in the draft.  

Plus, we can always trade 2019 picks for Foles post-draft. 

Ideally, we get a QB in the top of the 1st round, and a DT like Tim Settle later.  

37 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

The only way it's not a QB is if Beane and McD see something in AJM that the rest of us aren't seeing.

Supposedly, Hue Jackson really wanted AJM as his starter.  Maybe McD does too.  Maybe he thinks AJM is our franchise QB and we don't need to look further.

But that's hard to imagine.  Given our lack of a proven starter - and this being the "year of the quarterback" - how do you not draft one when you have as much draft capital as the Bills?

Maybe AJM is better than most NFL talent evaluators seem to think.   Do you stake your team's future and your career on a "maybe"?  I wouldn't.  

Are kids right out of college, who have never stepped on an nfl field not a "maybe"? 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Tsaikotic said:

the only player I think they might jump at if there at 12 is maybe LB Roquan Smith...if its DT then I'd say Da' Ron Payne...but Im pretty sure , whether they sit or move up, it'll be QB

I agree with this. Roquan could be an elite MLB in McD's Defense. He's the only non-QB they'd consider at #12 IMO.