Bills still have 7 major holes.

Just because some fans see these spots as “holes” or not at an all pro level of talent doesn’t mean the coaching staff agrees.

Judging by the Poyer signing last year just cause we don’t fully recognize the name doesn’t mean they can’t fit and play in this system. I would expect 95% of the moves left to be made will be guys we don’t recognize along with the drafted rookies. There’s gonna be a lot of “who is that” on the depth chart. 

But they’ve proven to show us they can get production from no name guys 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

As far as the final 53-man roster goes, I see 12 spots that need to be filled by players not currently under contract:

QB1

WR2

WR5 (assuming one of Reilly or Streater wins the WR6 job)

RG competition

RT competition

C2

DT3

Mike LB

Sam LB2

Slot CB1

Boundary CB3

S4

They've got a lot of work left to do.

And it all won't get done. 

At least not this year.  

19 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

And it all won't get done. 

At least not this year.  

It's possible that they're able to do it with some foresight and luck.

I could see 2nd-tier UFAs filling spots like slot CB1, CB4, and either RG or RT.  I could further see draft picks filling QB1 (obviously), WR2, DT3, and both 'backer spots.

You'd then have to feel good about post-June 1st street FAs filling S4, C2, WR5, and RT.  Not easy, but possible.

4 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

As far as the final 53-man roster goes, I see 12 spots that need to be filled by players not currently under contract:

QB1

WR2

RG competition

RT competition

C2

DT3

Mike LB

Sam LB2

Slot CB1

Boundary CB3

S4

They do, and McBeane did a good job in a full year now clearing excess cap weight.  This won't be a one year change, but it's not a rebuild either.  We can make some good moves this year and then again next.  We'll be in good shape IF the process is working.

Fill 2 of those holes going into the draft and I think this team has a good chance to trade up for a QB and have enough left over picks wise to fill another need or two. There are going to be holes on almost every NFL roster, every team is also going to have depth issues too, it is the nature of the salary cap era. But minimize a need or two going into the draft and I think you are fine. 

On 3/16/2018 at 6:39 AM, The Bills Blog said:

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Beane could fill all 7 by re-signing P. Brown, keeping the six picks in the top 100, and taking best available QB at #12. If he trades 12, 22, and 65 for a QB, we'll still have 2-3 major holes left. I'm not sure we have the money to address those remaining holes in FA.

Thank God we have 6 solid picks to address these issues.Not sure what we have left to sign fa's from now until September.We'll get it done.

QB has been addressed and they will still draft another QB.

RG is ok with either Ducasse or Miller. 

RT Mills is serviceable and this is worst draft for OT in two decades 

WR is huge need but can wait

Two or three LB are needed and one will be taken in the second round 

Swing C/G in third would be nice.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 3:39 AM, The Bills Blog said:

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Beane could fill all 7 by re-signing P. Brown, keeping the six picks in the top 100, and taking best available QB at #12. If he trades 12, 22, and 65 for a QB, we'll still have 2-3 major holes left. I'm not sure we have the money to address those remaining holes in FA.

So you walk around thinking "yeah, you have holes, and you just draft the guys at those positions, and you're all set"?

Like, "we need a middle linebacker, so draft a 6th round guy, and it's filled"?

On 3/16/2018 at 9:53 AM, the skycap said:

We're on the same page Blog!! The Bills can re-sign Gaines and take CB3 off the table. I did a Fanspeak draft last night and I picked:

1a) Lamar Jackson

1b)Vita Vea

2a) DJ Chark

2b) Mike Gesicki 

3a) Tim Settle

3b) Billy Price

4) Shaquem Griffin @MLB

5) Dorance Armstrong 

6) Siran Neal

This draft would get me GM of the year with the other acquisitions

Was everyone else drafting asleep? Good draft!

On 2018-03-16 at 7:23 AM, PaattMaann said:

more than 10 million after rookie allocation, especially after Richie Cog's just re-did his deal to lower the cap hit this year 

There's always money in the banana stand...

To the OP's point - yea there are holes. We are coming from a talent devoid team of the past into the current FO vision, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Every team in the NFL has holes, and you have to live with not having great players at every spot. Trust The Process!

There is always money in the banana stand

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/16/2018 at 7:37 AM, Thurman#1 said:

We have so many holes. We wouldn't have so many if they hadn't traded guys like Sammy and Cordy (who'd have looked mighty good across from Dawkins) and so on exactly to gain ammo for a tradeup. They created those holes because they knew we absolutely needed a QB and that there was only one effective way to maximize our chances of getting a good one.

Trading Sammy last year gives us fewer holes this year, either at QB or perhaps another position.  Sammy is now playing for the Chiefs (3yr/$45M).  We've basically got KB and Star and a little extra draft capital instead of Sammy.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/16/2018 at 6:55 AM, 4merper4mer said:

I think Zay and Miller will surprise.  Preston is meh and I think draft is the answer for that spot.  I agree on the rest to varying extents and would add "depth" as another positional need.

I think Zay bounces back nicely. Had the shoulder issue.

RG and RT aren't holes. We have guys capable of starting and playing at a high level.

MLB is def a hole I hope we get in Rd 1. 

Olb will be addressed in draft. 

I like how we showed up the DL though. That unit could be very good. 

Cb3 , I'd love to bring Leonard Johnson back personally. 

Every team has holes

On 3/16/2018 at 8:24 AM, thebandit27 said:

QB1

WR2

RG competition

RT competition

C2

DT3

Mike LB

Sam LB2

Slot CB1

Boundary CB3

S4

I crossed 3 needs off of the list based on the signings of Bodine (C2), Newhouse (RT competition), and Humber (I crossed off Mike LB since I now believe that Humber will play Will and Milano will play Mike).

Down to 9 roster spots on the 53 IMO.  With a trade-up, you can reasonably expect to fill 6 of these in the draft, so there probably needs to be 1 more UFA signing prior to the draft, and then you can backfill the last two spots with street FAs.  I'm personally hoping that Leonard Johnson gets brought back as the Slot CB1, and soon.

On ‎03‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 7:10 AM, Magox said:

While I agree that we have holes in all the areas you mentioned, not all holes are created equal. Some are not as big of holes as others and some are more important.

I don't buy the argument that we should put equal weight towards addressing each hole. If it takes trading away a few to successfully address another more impactful one then you do it.

Sounds like someone is on the prowl for anal.

On 3/16/2018 at 3:39 AM, The Bills Blog said:

QB

WR2

RG

RT

OLB

MLB

CB3

Blah blah blah

get to 2 get your QB there